PDA

View Full Version : Stolen NPR and Commercial Equipment

georgiagrass
09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
A black male thief stole one of our Isuzu NPRs (2006 NPR w/5.2 litre diesel) at gunpoint several days ago. He walked up to the driver right after the crew had pulled up to a customer's property, pulled a gun and demanded the keys. He drove off with the truck and a full load of commercial equipment. Fortunately, nobody got shot. Equipment on the truck included a 2008 Exmark Lazer 46/19, a fairly new Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36/15, a 2 year old Honda Commercial push mower (21") and 7 pieces of Stihl equipment. Pics of the truck are attached.

Earlier this year, we had another Isuzu NPR stolen from in front of a customer's property while the crew was in the back yard. The truck was recovered abandoned 5 days later, but the Walker MTGHS 26/42 and 5 pieces of Stihl equipment were all gone.

Other than having good insurance, I'm not sure what to do about this. Obviously, the bad economy is driving some of these crimes, but the thieves seem to be getting more brazen. The cops' attitude is, at best, indifferent. They make a report, but I don't think any investigation gets done. It's very frustrating, expensive and disruptive for the business.

Ric3077
09-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Sucks, Atlanta is a crime ridden area though...I don't think you can do much other than keep your insurance up to date like you said. Try looking on CraigsList for someone selling your stuff. Good luck!

QualityLawnCare4u
09-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Know what I would like to read in one of these threads? "An attempeted robber was shot dead today on the spot for trying to rob a LCO" The robber was shot point blank in the head with a 44 mag by a hardworking LCO, paramedics and police had to clean up what was left of his head and brains.... Oh, I forgot, these low live SOB's that rob us have more right than we do!

georgiagrass
09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
QLC4U: Thanks for the thought. I agree with you, with one modification. I would add: "The LCO's owner was permitted by the police to mulch what was left of the robber, using the equipment he had tried to steal." Hope things are going well for you in Waycross this year.

Ric: Thanks for your thoughts as well. Unfortunately, you are correct about Atlanta. It's not the gentle southern town it was when I was born here. We do keep an eye on Craigslist. Best to you.

lawnspecialties
09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
About a month ago, we had several motorcycles stolen in south Raleigh. But then the thugs stole two more, one with a LoJack system. The cops showed up and the second cop on scene had the Lojack tracking equipment in his patrol car.

The system led the cops only a mile or so away and when the cops drove down the dead end road, there were two guys unloading two more stolen bikes off a stolen trailer. They ran but were caught.

All nine stolen bikes were recovered. Just an idea for your Isuzus. :)

georgiagrass
09-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Lawnspec: Thanks for mentioning Lojack. We are already looking into that option and will probably be purchasing that protection. I believe we will also get an insurance deduction as a result. I am also inquiring as to whether it is possible to add Lojack to individual mowers.

BrandonV
09-22-2009, 07:21 PM
it is, they make them for a construction equipment I don't see why that wouldn't work for the bigger mowers

georgiagrass
10-06-2009, 04:03 AM
This truck still has not been recovered.

margoatl
10-06-2009, 03:18 PM
What part of town was the truck stolen? We have had two bad thefts such as yourself in Alpharetta. Wondering if it might be the same individuals. We were able to get our vehicle back, but not our trailer or any of the equipment.

MikeKle
10-10-2009, 12:20 PM
I could see them being able to sell the stolen mowers, but with the VIN and all the other indentifying numbers on the truck, how would they sell that? I guess they could paint the flat bed a different color and maybe have the cab painted too, but it would still be hard to sell, unless they just sell it on the black market( if that even exists?)

georgiagrass
10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Margo: It was stolen from a neighborhood south of I-285 and north of the Fayette County line. We had another truck, similar to this one, stolen this spring from a neighborhood in College Park, off of Virginia Avenue near the airport, but the truck was found by the police a few days later, minus a Walker mower and a lot of other equipment.

DirtyAgenda
10-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Lowjack is pretty expensive I think.

You can buy GPS tracking devices for like $300 and track them online through the website.

Of course, you will have to get the police to check it out for you, or go in shooting yourself.

Are you allowed to have concealed carry permits in a city of the first class such as Atlanta? lol

MikeKle
10-11-2009, 11:24 PM
If you buy the GPS unit and your equipment gets stolen, you could go track it down and get it back without the cops even being involved. I dont see why they would have to be involved since you paid for the GPS unit and have the ability to track it too, so why would the cops be needed? I would just find the truck or mower, then wait til overnight, go in and just take it back! No problems! The thiefs would probably be suprised, Hey some thief stole our stolen truck?!!! What would they do..call the cops to report it!!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-26-2009, 03:49 AM
If you buy the GPS unit and your equipment gets stolen, you could go track it down and get it back without the cops even being involved. I dont see why they would have to be involved since you paid for the GPS unit and have the ability to track it too, so why would the cops be needed? I would just find the truck or mower, then wait til overnight, go in and just take it back! No problems! The thiefs would probably be suprised, Hey some thief stole our stolen truck?!!! What would they do..call the cops to report it!!!

Exactly.

But what are you doing in College Park, GA? I'm not from there, as you can tell, but I drove through the Hotlanta area last year and that is an experience I do not want to do again (9pm sat night). This video shows why College Park is not good, because this kind of crap is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTp_z9ulBM

College Park is referred to at :31 seconds in "he resides in college park right?"

:40 "Joc where you stay? Tell em college park"

Yung Joc is one of my favorite rappers, and that song is somewhat old, came out in '06, but it's a classic lol.

Anyway, I hope you get your trucks back. I'd recommend getting out of that area though.

georgiagrass
11-20-2009, 02:53 AM
This truck (and equipment) is still missing.

Jake99
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
You can get a time delay relay at grainger. It can be wired such that the truck will only run for 5 minutes. Have a hidden switch that by-passes that and will continue to run all day. Those relays might be 20 or 30 dollar. The thief not get too far. Google Grainger and search for 12 volt time delay relay. Find someone smart enough to put on. It can be wired in where a fuse goes. Won't run w/o fuse.

DR. Jakeway.com

WalkerMike98
11-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Video is par for the course. This is what we have to look forward to for the future of America. Sad, but it is not going to change

nlminc
11-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Damn! I hope your truck and equipment show up. Can't believe it's happened to you twice. I've been slacking about carrying my concealed with me over the past few months. In January I may be working inside the perimeter if a contract pans out so we'll have to stay alert.

joe crumpler services
12-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Any of you guys have guard dogs? The least little thing that moves in my equipment area and my two dogs cut loose. Even if I don't hear them, my wife's Peke does and then he cuts loose Hounds are especially loud!

lyube
12-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Carry a concealed weapon. Your life is not worth the truck....but the economic safety of you and your family is worth killing over.

Jake99
12-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Stopping someone from driving away with your stuff is just doing alittle homework. Doesn't cost much. Just have a switch they won't know about that is connected to a delay relay. That relay will do a count down and turn it off. This gets you past the moment of hijack and doesn't let them get to their point of safety. Or do nothing which what they expect and let em make off with your property. Smart or dumb, it's up to you.
--jake

newyankeelawn
12-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Ga. Grass I operate out of Roswell. I am always strapped and I will not hesitate to shoot back! Viva NRA! I hope you get your equipment back. LoJack is a smart idea i have it on my trucks.

Chilehead
12-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Love all the posts about LoJack--smart move. One thing I do is copy the serial number onto another inconspicuous location on all my machines (someplace where it's not supposed to be), and paint on them custom markings. This way no one's machines look like mine, and if I see it in a pawn shop somewhere, I can prove I own it by the hidden serial number.

Jake99
12-09-2009, 11:53 PM
smart move

joe crumpler services
12-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Chilehead is using his head. I get vinyl scraps from local sign shops for my wife's art students to use in their projects. I save the reflective vinyl to make supplemental safety reflectors for my stuff, as well as to make it stand out from the crowd. You can also stick vinyl in hidden spots as an identification marker.

Chilehead
12-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Chilehead is using his head. I get vinyl scraps from local sign shops for my wife's art students to use in their projects. I save the reflective vinyl to make supplemental safety reflectors for my stuff, as well as to make it stand out from the crowd. You can also stick vinyl in hidden spots as an identification marker.

Why, thank you.:)

Eakern & Dog
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM
College Park or not...where ever you are in the greater Atlanta area you need to be aware. I got my rig jacked a couple years go in Virgina Highlands, which is a decent area. Housewives at home, retirees all watching,etc... I was'nt even working but instead doing a favor for an elderly lady /family friend and got nailed.

Don't count on ATL Police to respond in any reasonable time frame. I called my CC company and got the latest transactions of the perps all while waiting on a patrol car to come by and take the report. They were not interested in going to Bankhead Hwy to find my stuff that day. I ended up finding my own truck in an apartment complex a few days later ...which was a block from where the CC transactions took place. They were buying gas for over 2 hours at that station. They owner of the station refused to acknowledge that he had allowed multiple gas purchases on my credit cards and the detective assigned to the case was not proactive at all. Hence, me finding my own friggin truck ! In an effort to clear their rolls.....the ATL PD had the nerve to call me recently and ask if I had found my trailer yet ? I responded...should'nt I be asking you all that question ? :-)

Jake99
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Here goes me mission statement fir mefindit.com

richonsa
03-03-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm glad I have a permit and a .357 on hand at ALL times.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Cops are mostly interested in fines that make money not doing legwork to find crimmanals only arm work for eating donuts:laugh:

SeedPro
03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Don't know if anyone has tried these but they look kinda decent.

http://www.dewaltmobilelock.com/main.asp

justanotherlawnguy
03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
did they ever find your truck? that blows man...

richonsa
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
You know, must vehicles can have a chip installed on the computer that has a kill switch on it. Perfect for a work truck with mowers on it. Kill switch in cab, rottweiler chained to trailer, .357 on hip of LCO. All problems solved.

mowerman11
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
When the npr was stolen was it in like new condition? I just saw one yesturday just like that, looked brand new and nothing on it. However, they all look the same to me, and it seems like everyone up here (north west GA) has an npr