PDA

View Full Version : what kind a tool do I need for 400acre lawn care?

oxk18
09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
H~i..

I am Licensed guy...
My current is 700k sqft/mo.
But, I need to care for 400 acre/mo. for customer?

200galon lesco + 2 lesco spreader i got...that's all..

I need some tools...I know..
But,I don't know What kind tool is best choice for me...

give me advice..
thanks.

RigglePLC
09-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Get a ride-on like Permagreen. Use the skid sprayer to fill the PG tank. You said acres--not sqft, right? you need a trailer or a caddy to carry it.

Risky to be dependent on one customer. If he quits--you have the machine--and not much use for it.

foreplease
09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Two small or one medium aircraft.

starry night
09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Two small or one medium aircraft.

:) That's exactly what I was thinking for 400 acres.

rcreech
09-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Any ride on machine will do.

With that amount of large area...think about how effeicent you need to be.

I would highly recommend a Z Max as you can spray 4 acres/fill.

Is this one site or a total of many sites?

Why are they treating 400 acres every month????? Use a good product and you can get by with every 8 weeks!

foreplease
09-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Seems like a hoax to me, hence my response. If this is an actual job site 100 refills would drive me batty. I beleive I would find another way. It would depend on how many and what type of obstacles were there. Honestly, I could not handle a job this size.

corey4671
09-20-2009, 10:51 PM
sub it out to one of those bonzai cropdusters

White Gardens
09-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Find an Ag applicator and sub it out.

Unless you want to go by a tractor, with a 1000 gallon pull behind sprayer, and a 30 foot boom, I'd leave that acreage to the professionals that can handle that kind of volume.

Crop dusters are great, but if it's a grass field type of situation, then running over it with a machine will be sufficient.

Stillwater
09-20-2009, 11:07 PM
400 acres is a square mile of turf, a heli with a boom spray and ground spotter with a radio and binoculars will work. Dont forget your flags

foreplease
09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
How would you like to tackle mowing the place. Size of two golf courses.

Runner
09-21-2009, 02:34 AM
30 to 35 pallets fert. per round? It's gonna take more than a Permagreen to handle this. This will be like a full time job with a PG.
It would definitely take a tractor, large spreader, and boom sprayer to handle something of this capacity.

lawn king
09-21-2009, 05:20 AM
30 to 35 pallets fert. per round? It's gonna take more than a Permagreen to handle this. This will be like a full time job with a PG.
It would definitely take a tractor, large spreader, and boom sprayer to handle something of this capacity.

Forget about riding this kind off footage. This is tractor work with pto spreaders & sprayers. Go for a cab machine as you will be spending some long hours out there, you might as well be comfortable!

foreplease
09-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Yeah...now how much compost should they order? Should we have it dumped all in one place or some at each end?

VARMIT COMMISSION
09-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Use your local co-op and a terra gator will do it in no time.

White Gardens
09-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Use your local co-op and a terra gator will do it in no time.

Exactly.

Still maybe a little large if the area is nice turf. But Varmit got the right idea.

turf hokie
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
he forgot to mention that it is all HOA work, it is all broken up and spread over 2 counties and 25 sites.

lawnangel1
09-21-2009, 08:01 PM
he forgot to mention that it is all HOA work, it is all broken up and spread over 2 counties and 25 sites.

Aint that the truth!

rcreech
09-21-2009, 10:33 PM
400 acres is a square mile of turf, a heli with a boom spray and ground spotter with a radio and binoculars will work. Dont forget your flags

Actually a square mile is 640 acres...but who is counting! :)

Stillwater
09-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Actually a square mile is 640 acres...but who is counting! :)

Ya, I screwed up thanks .....

ted putnam
09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
I got a call last year for a 300 acre farm. They heard through the grapevine that I was the guy to get. I told them I was flattered but that I did not posess the proper equipment for the job.I told them to call the local airport an try to get the number of a pilot with a crop duster. I can't even imagine doing a property once with the equipment I have much less on a regularly scheduled program. :dizzy::laugh:

lawn king
09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
The biggest job (single location) i have done, was boom spraying a national cemetery on cape cod. It is 115 acres and i can tell you, its a lot of work. The tractor cab with ac and stereo took the sting out of it!

rcreech
09-22-2009, 11:22 PM
No job is too big if you have the right equipment!

I wouldn't at all be afraid to spray 400 acres with a Z or two....as long as I can make good $$$$$$.

That is better then driving around all day everyday!

If you were set up right with a Z...you could easily do 25-30+ acres/day with 1 machine!

jspray
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
How about an economical way to spray larger areas? Take a look at the new ProEdge PE-ZTR the attaches to your zero turn by 2 u-bolts and an electrical connector.

Unit is all aluminum, very light with 15 gal. tank, Shurflo pump and 100" foldable boom.

Sprayer uses low volume air inducted pre-orifice tips that are excellent on drift control with diaphragm nozzle check bodies to eliminate drips.

Unit will spray 1.5 ac. with the 15 gal. tank at 20 psi and 4 mph--very efficient. Unit will spray out a tank or 1.5 ac. in approx 22 min.

Power unit is already yours eliminating significant cost and allowing a good profit on spraying.

List price of the unit with a spray wand attachment included is $1,995. Please look at the pictures. Web site is proedgesprayer.com.

lawnangel1
09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
That tank sprays an acre and a half. So you would have to refill that thing like 250 times on a 400 acre property. Definitely not the right tool for the job!

JB1
09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
you all left out the most important thing he needs and thats a clue.

DLCS
09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
How about an economical way to spray larger areas? Take a look at the new ProEdge PE-ZTR the attaches to your zero turn by 2 u-bolts and an electrical connector.

Unit is all aluminum, very light with 15 gal. tank, Shurflo pump and 100" foldable boom.

Sprayer uses low volume air inducted pre-orifice tips that are excellent on drift control with diaphragm nozzle check bodies to eliminate drips.

Unit will spray 1.5 ac. with the 15 gal. tank at 20 psi and 4 mph--very efficient. Unit will spray out a tank or 1.5 ac. in approx 22 min.

Power unit is already yours eliminating significant cost and allowing a good profit on spraying.

List price of the unit with a spray wand attachment included is $1,995. Please look at the pictures. Web site is proedgesprayer.com.

$2,000????:dizzy: What makes it worth that much?

starry night
09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
$2,000????:dizzy: What makes it worth that much?

Nice profit margin on that! I can get something similar with a 25 gal tank at Tractor Supply for about $400. (might need a little inexpensive rigging to hook up to my mower deck.)

rcreech
09-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Nice profit margin on that! I can get something similar with a 25 gal tank at Tractor Supply for about $400. (might need a little inexpensive rigging to hook up to my mower deck.)

I could make a lot nicer unit then that for under $200!!!! :dizzy:

Why would a person buy a unit like that...when they could buy a used Magnum for twice then and it is stainless and can spray fert.

Bet you won't sell many at that price! :laugh:

Stillwater
09-25-2009, 12:10 AM
We all know that is over priced lets not bash the guy though.....

rcreech
09-25-2009, 06:58 AM

Sorry....it was just too easy!!!!!

I would have bashed him if he was asking $500 for it! :laugh:

starry night
09-25-2009, 07:58 AM

Does the "we" include him?

jspray
09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the compliments on the new all aluminum ZTR sprayer. It's not available at Tractor Supply.

Try this one on for 400 acres. 70hp Agco with 32 ft boom, dye marker, electronic controls, low volume/ low drift air inducted tips, 6 mph, 20 psi, 5 gpa, 30 ac./tank and 15 acres/ hr. 400 acres in 3 days.

Cost of tractor and sprayer approx. $50,000.

starry night
09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I guess I'm just missing something on the value of this equipment.
My local farmers co-op agronomy folks could spray a given property for many years for the cost of the sprayer being shown.

White Gardens
09-25-2009, 11:56 AM
I guess I'm just missing something on the value of this equipment.
My local farmers co-op agronomy folks could spray a given property for many years for the cost of the sprayer being shown.

Exactly.

And if you really wanted to go buy the equipment, you probably could find the whole set-up, used very well, for 10- 15 grand.

jspray
09-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Good luck to all of you--hope your spraying goes well--over and out, permanently.

Bill J.
Jspray

DLCS
09-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Good luck to all of you--hope your spraying goes well--over and out, permanently.

Bill J.
Jspray

Odios, don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!:waving:

foreplease
09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Does jspray have a bad past with some of you or what? I think he handled himself in a very professional manner in this thread, even when he probably found it difficult, and have been cringing at the tone of things here. Personally, I think the larger spray rig is sweet.

The argument that you can have a business come in and spray many times for what the equipment costs is true of what most of us have or offer - whether mowing, aerating, spraying with any number of ride-ons.

I am just sorry to see jspray go out this way. The original topic was what tool does it take to spray a 400 acre property. If you guys want to pile on a more fair counter question might have been "Using whatever equipment you have or like, what price would you charge to spray a 400 acre property?" I think jspray might have had the best answer for that one.

rcreech
09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
50 grand.....YOU WISH!!!!!

You obviously don't know that Agco doesn't have any resale value at all!

The tractor is worth about $15,000 or so and the sprayer is worth $2-5,000.

I can show you my set up that would SMOKE that and it is only valued at$37,000.

It is a JD 6420 with a Top Air pull type 500 gallon with 60" booms and light bar guidance system.

What are you smoking J Spray?????? :dizzy:

rcreech
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Want to correct myself....

I looked up what a Agco LT 70 is worth and it is actually worth closer to $20,000 if in good shape and low hours.

It is had front wheel assist it would be worth about $28,000.

Sorry....but wanted to clarify!

starry night
09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Does jspray have a bad past with some of you or what? I think he handled himself in a very professional manner in this thread, even when he probably found it difficult, and have been cringing at the tone of things here. Personally, I think the larger spray rig is sweet.

The argument that you can have a business come in and spray many times for what the equipment costs is true of what most of us have or offer - whether mowing, aerating, spraying with any number of ride-ons.

I am just sorry to see jspray go out this way. The original topic was what tool does it take to spray a 400 acre property. If you guys want to pile on a more fair counter question might have been "Using whatever equipment you have or like, what price would you charge to spray a 400 acre property?" I think jspray might have had the best answer for that one.

It's probably time to let this thread die but I must comment one more time.
Yes, the thread was about spraying a 400-acre property, we think. Actually the original poster disappeared and never clarified if it was, in fact, a single property. But assuming the single property, jspray first came on here
"advertising" his "little" gem for $2000. It was later that he showed his big rig for $50,000 which by his own estimate would take THREE days to spray the 400 acres. Most of us provided a much better answer for the original question i.e. to hire a big agricultural rig.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I got a call last year for a 300 acre farm. They heard through the grapevine that I was the guy to get. I told them I was flattered but that I did not posess the proper equipment for the job.I told them to call the local airport an try to get the number of a pilot with a crop duster. I can't even imagine doing a property once with the equipment I have much less on a regularly scheduled program. :dizzy::laugh:

Why not? As soon as you finish one round, you just start at the beginning with the next! :laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-26-2009, 11:36 AM
While many of us see Jspray's units as pricey, that's only because so many of us are (of necessity) do-it-yourselfers.

How would you like a homeowner to come to your sales presentation and say: "Ugh, $45 for a perimeter spray on the house? You've GOT to be kidding me! You're gonna use 25 cents of Bifenthrin and walk away after 5 minutes!!" I could do it myself with a BP sprayer!"

It's like brake jobs on a car. You can go to a shop and spend upwards of $200-300 for a basic brake job... or you can do it yourself for about $30 (and get lifetime replacement pads from Autozone so that all subsequent brake jobs cost about $5).

There are lots of folks out there who are willing to pay for a ready-to-go product because they aren't all that into 'tinkering' out in the barn, or turning wrenches under a hood.

turf hokie
09-26-2009, 01:43 PM
While many of us see Jspray's units as pricey, that's only because so many of us are (of necessity) do-it-yourselfers.

How would you like a homeowner to come to your sales presentation and say: "Ugh, $45 for a perimeter spray on the house? You've GOT to be kidding me! You're gonna use 25 cents of Bifenthrin and walk away after 5 minutes!!" I could do it myself with a BP sprayer!"

It's like brake jobs on a car. You can go to a shop and spend upwards of $200-300 for a basic brake job... or you can do it yourself for about $30 (and get lifetime replacement pads from Autozone so that all subsequent brake jobs cost about $5).

There are lots of folks out there who are willing to pay for a ready-to-go product because they aren't all that into 'tinkering' out in the barn, or turning wrenches under a hood.

Dammit, since when are you the voice of reason? What is this forum coming to?:waving:

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Dammit, since when are you the voice of reason? What is this forum coming to?:waving:

I just like to keep y'all guessing.

DuallyVette
09-26-2009, 02:37 PM

Well said. There are several companies manufacturing equipment for the lawn industry that I consider their price and quality a joke...but many have stayed in business for years.

Also, that $3.00 box of corn flakes has about 25 cents worth of corn in it. That healthy "100% real juice" grape juice.. is apple juice with sugar water and grape flavoring.

Two of my employees will mow your lawn, and cost me about $12 (labor). I'll be charging you $50.00