PDA

View Full Version : Toro Walk Behind Clutch Will Not Engage

TimsLawnCareVA
09-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I have a Toro 44" walk behind with a 12.5 hp Kawasaki fb460v engine. My problem is the clutch will not engage. I can take a battery, power it up and it engages and blades spin. I have checked power at connector to clutch and it has power and ground. I could not find my multimeter today, so I used my battery tester and it pegs the needle at 16 volts when I hook it up with the engine running. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I bought the mower last week and it had been sitting for several years.

ricky86
09-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Are you saying: when you check for engine output at the clutch connector, you have 16 volts? And, when you put 12 volts directly to the clutch, the clutch will engage? If so, put an ammeter in the positive lead between the engine to clutch connector. Start the engine and engage the clutch. You should have 3-4 amps max. Hope you know the limits of you meter or your might blow the fuse or worse. Since you don't list a model and serial number....... my guess would be the rectifier might be bad.