PDA

View Full Version : Why the difference in price of 6' wood privacy fence?

Ramairfreak98ss
09-21-2009, 10:52 AM
We deal with two companies for vinyl fence. I think they've always been considerably high in price compared to say home cheapo or lowes locally.

Several of our customers see vinyl fence at lowes for say $89.99 an 8' section. Then i tell them that OUR costs are around $129.... plus our markup and so they dont hire us. Now i understand there are all different grades. The bufftech brand has the full metal lower rails which are awesome, but the darn panels are $165-185 EACH, most wont spend that.

We want to get a fence job for a person who wants 6' privacy, BASIC fence in spruce or cedar installed. I call our first fence dealer, explain that it looks as similar to what home cheapo sells outside... he says that their stuff will be considerably MORE because its not the same? How so? Its 3 2x4s and a bunch of thin panels spanned 6' tall top to bottom :dizzy:

At the price of $97EACH for spruce or $124 for cedar, WTF? How can we sell this when the client is looking at home depot for $39.99 a panel? I mean our price is automatically $2k+ higher than just going to home depot and buying the $39.99 panels.

We will honor a warranty for the installation, so as if we install a post/panel incorrectly or even wind problems we offer no cost replacement for all labor. If these panels dont last as long, what 5years instead of 6-10 for "expensive" ones, that has no bearing on our installation. The posts will be all the same. Please enlighten me:clapping:

MarcSmith
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
there are different grades of lumber. even places like HD sell different grades of lumber. better grades have fewer knots straigher, ect, drie din a kild rather than outdoors......

my friend just put up an addition and he was able to get spruce studs for 79cents each. far cry from the $2+ that box stores sell. and it was just as good looking for a wall stud that was going to be hidden behind drywall...

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/softwood_grades.htm

Kiril
09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Screw that prefab crap, build your own.

Fordsuvparts
09-21-2009, 12:39 PM
There is not much difference between the US Fence panels Lowe's sell and most of there competitors do. If they are in a high wind area the panels with the aluminum inserts in the 2x3 are very nice, but they cost a lot more. I used to reinforce standard panels by ripping down treated 2x4 and then inserting it in the hollow. There are different grades but if the customer wants a lower grade them sell them the lower grade. I always stick build build my wooden fences, they look better and are much stronger. I was an installer for Lowe's for fencing for 3 years and have never had one issue with the quality of the material. Some of the larger jobs were over 1000' and they still look great. I always use the larger 5x5 post and then insert a 4x4 in concrete and them slip the post sleeve over. Everyone who has seen my fences thinks i am way over kill, i even take concrete and pour it into the post sleeves to fill in the void between the 4x4 and the 5" post sleeve. But that is why i get the big fence jobs and others don't.

pawatch
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Them 39.99 panels are crap. You only get what you pay for.
Stick built, wood fence will way outlast the cheap panels.

As far as PVC not sure about quality of the material.
Drive down a road sometime and take a good look at fences.
Most of the time you can tell if a professional installed it.

In the Northeast we have had problems with the PVC posts raising out of the ground from the frost.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Them 39.99 panels are crap. You only get what you pay for.
Stick built, wood fence will way outlast the cheap panels.

As far as PVC not sure about quality of the material.
Drive down a road sometime and take a good look at fences.
Most of the time you can tell if a professional installed it.

In the Northeast we have had problems with the PVC posts raising out of the ground from the frost.

yeah or sinking in constant stagnant mud :/ Have redug out a few this year only to find out the concrete never hardened...

Smallaxe
09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Vinyl fences are cheap at any price. You can rip holes in them with a weed eater. Bump and crack after a couple summers in the sun. Buy the cheap stuff, because its all cheap.

In fact snap a shot of the place and see if it qualifies for, "Redneck Yard of the Week".

kootoomootoo
09-22-2009, 07:15 PM
oh great you want another lawsuit after you build a fence.

Smallaxe
09-26-2009, 12:06 AM
oh great you want another lawsuit after you build a fence.

:laugh: ... :laugh:

bigviclbi
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
So then just give them two prices for home depot or good fence. $125 a section for 6' high vinyl sounds about right, you should be able to get it a little cheaper. Cedar is really expensive right now. Home depot fence also makes you use brackets and is usually 6' lengths instead of 8', which entails more labor. I install a lot of fence and am higher than the fence companies because they can make money on materials since they build the fence, while I need to get all mine from labor. Bufftech is the cadillac of vinyl fencing, try to give them different pricepoints and you will sell jobs.