PDA

View Full Version : leed environmental pest control

olive123
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know what insecticides are approved for a leed program?

RigglePLC
09-21-2009, 10:53 PM
The safest products that come to mind are neem oil, BT, plant oils, and growth regulators like methoprene. Old time organic insecticides like rotenone and pyrythrins. New products like pyrythroids are low toxicity. Provant by Dupont is very low in toxicity. Look for anything that has an EPA "Reduced Risk" designation. Most of the above have passed stringent tests for safety. In most cases they were unable to kill laboratory rats with any amount or method.
Come on guys, name your favorite low risk insecticide.

olive123
09-22-2009, 07:02 AM
i am talking about insecticides that are specifically certified to be used in the leed environmental program. It is a green "certification" movement for buildings and such. In order to use a pest control program they must follow strict guidelines including certified "green" pesticides.

Pythium
09-22-2009, 09:37 AM
This article might get you started.
http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=21663230&gt1=35000

gunsnroses
09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
This is a trick question....there is no such thing. Products can contribute to achieving LEED credits, however, they are not certified by LEED. Buildings are the only thing that can be LEED certified. You should look more about plant selection, drainage, water use etc. If the puzzle is constructed correctly...pesticide use should be minimal. If you are not involved in construction or renovation of a project, you are chasing something that does not exist.

Kiril
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Landscapes are also eligible for LEED credits. LEED is not limited to buildings, but instead looks at the entire site (eg. sustainable sites). However, you cannot get LEED certification with only landscape credits, there are not enough of them offered.

To my knowledge the LEED certification program does not address post construction/development property management. It is used as a guide for design, development, and construction of a site. It could also be used as a guide for reconstruction/renovation.

With regard to pest control, see SS 5: Nontoxic Pest Control (pg. 42) in the following doc. It addresses design considerations to minimize the need for toxic pesticides.

http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=3638

gunsnroses
09-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Landscapes are also eligible for LEED credits. LEED is not limited to buildings, but instead looks at the entire site (eg. sustainable sites). However, you cannot get LEED certification with only landscape credits, there are not enough of them offered.

Kiril is correct ............I should have worded my engrish more better

olive123
09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
ok thats the start i needed. I was approached for a bid on a couple buildings that are leed cert. I am in business with household pc and l&o, but at square one with this. If they want to pay I will provide!