PDA

View Full Version : Does any one make their own mower cables?

dallaspaco
09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I am looking to save some money by making my own throttle cables,etc.I repair and resell push mowers where a $10-$15 cable can really affect your profit.I was just wandering if anyone else does this and if so what do I need to purchase and from where?Most of my mowers are craftsman if that will help in determining what I need to purchase.Thank you...

Restrorob
09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Most of the newer mowers today have those sorry plastic cables with the metal flange crimped on one end. I have never seen this plastic cable housing sold in bulk rolls, I don't know that you could mount a steel cable housing that does come in bulk rolls inside the plastic control assembly. You would have to dream up some kind of flange to hold the steel cable housing in the plastic control assembly.

dutch1
09-23-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm not one to say it couldn't be done but in my opinion it would not be cost effective time wise when one considered all the various fittings on both ends of the cable.

Dutch

LushGreenLawn
09-23-2009, 07:10 AM
My local dealer makes his own. I'm not sure where he gets his stuff, but it can be done.

topsites
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Not sure but I make my own spark plug wires...
100 feet of 10.2 mm racing wire set me back $200+
Then all the different fittings and various rubber boots.

The only reason I do it is because I got tired of getting the wrong sets.
But price wise it's not much of a gain, if any.

dallaspaco
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
thanks for all the input,maybe I will just shop around and make sure I get the best price on my cables to save a little money.

Roger
09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Even at $15, you would have to consider your time to make worth zero. Yes, $15 sounds like a high price, but if you are considering your time worth something, self-made ones may cost more.