PDA

View Full Version : Dry stack wall stone

dmkosko
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I am attempting to put a dry stack wall stone wall in front of my flower bed. I plan to dig a slight trench to keep the wall steady, but what I am wondering is, should I put a little pea gravel in the inch or two trench to give it some footing? thanks

tthomass
09-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Pea gravel won't really do anything. Beat it down with a hand tamp and go from there. Dry stack walls are good for moving on you.......kids, animals, feeze/thaw.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-26-2009, 05:52 PM
whats the height, thatd be fine for like a foot tall.

GrazerZ
09-27-2009, 08:29 AM
a wall is only as good as its base. How high is the wall how thick. etc. I would suggest you put a base that is at the very least what you would do for pavers in your area even for a small garden wall.

mdlwn1
09-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I've done many walls over the years from 1' up to 30' (tiered). None of my 1-3' walls had any special foundation. All had irrigation in them as well. If you are backfilling, just make sure you do it slowly and in stages. I've had larges trees fall on a few...walker mowers bang into them...etc...and none have moved.

Just saw your location. If your near that Marlboro clay type stuff...it might not be a bad idea to backfill with something other than that red marl crap to prevent heaving, although you will reduce your structural integrety significantly.