PDA

View Full Version : Rust

ultracut518
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I've been noticing a ton of rust in the lawns that I've been treating with broadleaf herbicide. Why is this? Thanks

indyturf
09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
it's a fungus caused by the weather conditions. a good shot of N will help. really wont cause any damage except to your shoes.

ultracut518
09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I understand that, but i'm only seeing this in my treated lawns, not my un-treated ones. Just curious why??

greendoctor
09-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Broadleaf herbicides are a stress on the grass. Varying types and combinations of stresses on a lawn may increase susceptibility to diseases. This effect is well known in warm season grasses. Certain types of herbicides increase the incidence of leaf spot diseases on st augustine.

indyturf
09-23-2009, 02:57 AM
The very best thing to do is over-seed with ky bluegrass. I bet you lunch that all the lawns you are seeing with rust are rye grass.

RigglePLC
09-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Rust is everywhere--not just treated lawns. A fall problem in many years. Many types of ryegrass are very susceptible. Plenty of water and extra nitrogen are a big help. Rust disappears about the time of frost. You may wish to overseed with a higher quality ryegrass--one that claims specifically to be rust resistant.

mdlwn1
09-23-2009, 08:34 AM
The very best thing to do is over-seed with ky bluegrass. I bet you lunch that all the lawns you are seeing with rust are rye grass.

This is a really funny comment....and lunch multiplied by how many forum members?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Yep, bad rust this season, fought it myself. Weather conditions - not treatment, is the main factor.

First frost is coming in a few weeks probably. Good bye, rust!

Optimum Lawn
09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
This is a really funny comment....and lunch multiplied by how many forum members?

Can I get my free lunch too:laugh:

Rust patches all over in my area as well (Fescues and Blue)
My little 21" is covered in rust dust.
Oh well ...it will go away.. no harm no foul