PDA

View Full Version : summer patch

RSL
09-22-2009, 08:41 PM
anyone know the best for summer patch

Pythium
09-23-2009, 01:50 PM
winter..lol
Heritage should work. Read and follow label directions.

JWTurfguy
09-23-2009, 04:08 PM
With cooler temps, summer patch shouldn't be much of an issue for you at this point. Is the disease still active or are you looking at the remains of a disease that already ran its course?

At this point, unless the disease is still spreading, just rake it up and reseed.

RSL
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Trying to prevent from happening next year lawn gets it every year

RAlmaroad
09-23-2009, 06:51 PM
In the south a fungus is never really gone. It lies dormant in the ground just waiting for heat. I make sure that the last monthly fungicide is "Heritage" or "Insignia" and applies with lots of pressure into the ground. I don't have too much of a fungus problem because the first monthly application is June and every 28 days after that until about October 15th. By then things are cooling down and centipede is going dormant. It's a lot of work to fertilize every 30 days and then two weeks later fungicide every 28 days--but the lawns are beautiful. It was so humid this year that we had "Barklice". We've never had it before. It's wasn't a problem but just a reminder or high humidity. I really don't know if "Summer Patch" is "Brown Patch" or not. Some of the fungi are not effected by "Heritage" and must be dealt with by other old school methods.

JWTurfguy
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
RSL,

90% of the lawns I saw this year with summer patch were overwatered, so as far as next year is concerned, I would probably start there if you're looking to make adjustments.

During the hot, humid weeks of July-August in NY, make sure you're only watering as much as absolutely necessary. This year, because of all the rain we had, lawns really didn't need much additional water. If the homeowner can be trained to water deeply and infrequently (maybe 2-3 times a week depending on circumstances) in the early part of the morning (never in the evening), a lot of fungus issues can be solved that way.

The other thing you can look at is backing off on the amount of nitrogen you're applying in the summer, especially if you're using synthetic SCU-type ferts. Maybe try going with an organic app or even just a high-iron fert to keep things green without adding a lot of quick-release N. As far as fungicides go, Prophesy from the Andersons would be a good choice (and easy to apply, since it's granular).