PDA

View Full Version : Alabama's war on Cogongrass

ksJoe
09-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I saw this and thought it might be of interest here....

Alabama is using some stimulus money to try to eradicate Cogongrass.

Article in NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/21/us/21land.html?_r=1)
Map of Cogongrass distribution (http://www.cogongrass.org/distribution/index.cfm)

It can take over fields and forests, ruining crops, destroying native plants, upsetting the ecosystem. It is very difficult to kill. It burns extremely hot. And its serrated leaves and grainy composition mean that animals with even the most indiscriminate palates — goats, for example — say no thanks.

Marcos
09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Whew!...just for a second I thought that was a typo, and that Alabama was declaring war on the US Congress! :laugh:

JShe8918
09-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Cogon Grass is a huge problem here in alabama. It can kill trees that are less than 10 years old easily. It doesn't spread threw seeds or anything like that but through it's complex root system. I have waded threw cogan that was up to my neck and i am 6'2. It has a serrated blade edge and an off center stem. Timber companies are paying BIG dollars to have this stuff killed. It is a big business around here. I know a guy that sprays 3 days a week on this one property he has been on for 3 weeks. He sprays threw 400 gallons easily per day. And nets un thought of amounts of money for the work. But it is dangerous. Snakes, bees, hornet, yellow jackets, many dangers.

ksJoe
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Whew!...just for a second I thought that was a typo, and that Alabama was declaring war on the US Congress! :laugh:

So... you confused the US Congress with an obnoxious weed that goes where it isn't welcome, is nearly unstoppable by human means, is so convinced of its own superiority that it chokes out all alternatives, stopping all other productive activity, and leaving the area entirely dependent on it for growth?

How does that have anything to do with Congress? :confused:

Marcos
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
So... you confused the US Congress with an obnoxious weed that goes where it isn't welcome, is nearly unstoppable by human means, is so convinced of its own superiority that it chokes out all alternatives, stopping all other productive activity, and leaving the area entirely dependent on it for growth?

How does that have anything to do with Congress? :confused:

Think about it for a moment, ks.
The following does sort of makes sense :laugh::

U.S Congress:
1) 'Goes' where it isn't welcome
2) Is so convinced of its own superiority that it chokes out all alternatives
3) Stops all other productive activity, leaving the area entirely dependent on it for growth

Grandview
09-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Another example of why the stimulus bill failed to stimulate the economy.

Marcos
09-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Sorry I threw your train of the tracks, ksjoe! :waving:

Now, on with.... "Cogon Grass is a huge problem here in Alabama".