PDA

View Full Version : What to do with dorment Zoysia in the spring?

michael1107
09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello all,

A few summers ago, I renovated my yard and laid down El Toro Zoysia. I'm in Raleigh, NC (Zone 7B), and I'm curious as to what I should do with the dormant grass in the spring. I'm mowing every 5-7 days with a rotary mower, generally mulching the clippings, and cutting to 2". I have an irrigation system, and I'm watering every 2-3 days to a depth of 2-3", unless it rains. My soil is a nice gray/brown sandy loam, with very little red clay above 6" deep.

Last spring, I didn't do anything, and just let the grass green up on it's own. Throughout the summer it looked like crap because the new growth got so compacted with the previous growth, that it created these little "islands" of super thick grass, that couldn't grow anywhere but straight up...it looked very stalky, not lush, with lots of grass blades.

This past spring, I borrowed a friends reel mower, and cut it down to 3/4", and collected all the dead clippings. It's looked MUCH better this year, except for a few areas, that appear thin and a yellow-ish green (that's a different problem that I'm working on with my maintenance company. I'm thinking nutrient defficiency, but we'll see).

I've had fescue all my life, so this is my first Zoysia lawn. Based on what the more experienced folks on the forum are doing, what should I plan to do every spring to ensure that my Zoysia looks it's best each year?

Thanks for the help.

michael1107
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
75 views and not one response??? Come on guys, someone's got to have some insight here....