PDA

View Full Version : Aerating Cemetery question

TheNatural
09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I've recently been hired at a cemetery with a bunch of turf problems. Two things I know for sure at this point is they have thatch problems and soil compaction. I was hoping starting a aeration program would help solve these problems but I'm not sure what type of aerator would work best. Obviously you can't run over the numerous flat stones with a aerator, so I'm thinking we need some type of walk behind machine thats fairly easy to control like a mower. Any of you pros have any suggestions? Money isn't a problem either. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh.S
09-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Obviously you can't run over the numerous flat stones with a aerator, so I'm thinking we need some type of walk behind machine thats fairly easy to control like a mower.

The easiest to use walk behind aerator BY FAR is the Lawn Solutions. It is easier to use than a self propelled push mower.

Another idea is that Turfco has a split drive aerator that is 28" and might be a viable alternative. It has a sulky that you can put on it called the "chariot". The only advantage the Turfco has over the Lawn Solutions is that they have a bigger machine with a sulky.... usability wise the Lawn Solutions is still MUCH easier to use.

RABBITMAN11
09-24-2009, 08:23 AM
The easiest to use walk behind aerator BY FAR is the Lawn Solutions. It is easier to use than a self propelled push mower.

Another idea is that Turfco has a split drive aerator that is 28" and might be a viable alternative. It has a sulky that you can put on it called the "chariot". The only advantage the Turfco has over the Lawn Solutions is that they have a bigger machine with a sulky.... usability wise the Lawn Solutions is still MUCH easier to use.

I beleive you can put a sulkey on lawn solutions to
Posted via Mobile Device

turfcobob
09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I can tell you that doing a cemetery with the TurnAer 6 works / worked well. We have participated in the Renewal and Rememberance day at Arlington in DC for a number of years. We have taken theTurnaer 6 with Chariot as it is perfect for use in that enviroment. With a Chariot it is easy to handle in tight places even when you are riding. Because you have individual disc brakes on each side for truning and stopping quick. The spring lift is also nice when you are on the chariot and need to get it out of the ground quick. The Lawn Solutions unit is a very hard manual lift. Not conducive to ride behind use. At Arilington they have the headstones just the right width for 3 passes between each row of stones. You just set up a rolling oval and keep aerating never having to stop. You just keep aerating at 5 mph till you are done. You can see then at Turfco.com or call 1-800-679-8201 and get a DVD sent to you. There is some kind of special going on right now.

RABBITMAN11
09-24-2009, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=turfcobob;3200799]I can tell you that doing a cemetery with the TurnAer 6 works / worked well. We have participated in the Renewal and Rememberance day at Arlington in DC for a number of years. We have taken theTurnaer 6 with Chariot as it is perfect for use in that enviroment. With a Chariot it is easy to handle in tight places even when you are riding. Because you have individual disc brakes on each side for truning and stopping quick. The spring lift is also nice when you are on the chariot and need to get it out of the ground quick. The Lawn Solutions unit is a very hard manual lift. Not conducive to ride behind use. At Arilington they have the headstones just the right width for 3 passes between each row of stones. You just set up a rolling oval and keep aerating never having to stop. You just keep aerating at 5 mph till you are done. You can see then at Turfco.com or call 1-800-679-8201 and get a DVD sent to you. There is some kind of special going on right now.[/QUOTE.
The lawn solutions machine is a much better choice, once you use one you will not buy any other walking aeration machine period. Hydro is the best nothing else compares. Other manufactures are so way behind compared to lawn solutions. Turfcos selling point is saying manual lift is hard, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

turfcobob
09-24-2009, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=turfcobob;3200799]I can tell you that doing a cemetery with the TurnAer 6 works / worked well. We have participated in the Renewal and Rememberance day at Arlington in DC for a number of years. We have taken theTurnaer 6 with Chariot as it is perfect for use in that enviroment. With a Chariot it is easy to handle in tight places even when you are riding. Because you have individual disc brakes on each side for truning and stopping quick. The spring lift is also nice when you are on the chariot and need to get it out of the ground quick. The Lawn Solutions unit is a very hard manual lift. Not conducive to ride behind use. At Arilington they have the headstones just the right width for 3 passes between each row of stones. You just set up a rolling oval and keep aerating never having to stop. You just keep aerating at 5 mph till you are done. You can see then at Turfco.com or call 1-800-679-8201 and get a DVD sent to you. There is some kind of special going on right now.[/QUOTE.
The lawn solutions machine is a much better choice, once you use one you will not buy any other walking aeration machine period. Hydro is the best nothing else compares. Other manufactures are so way behind compared to lawn solutions. Turfcos selling point is saying manual lift is hard, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't forget the disc brakes one each side for turning and the longer taller handle for use with a sulky. The unit was designed to pull a chariot sulky from the get go. The brakes are a big plus when turning and the spring loaded lift is a big plus.

RABBITMAN11
09-24-2009, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=RABBITMAN11;3200817]

Don't forget the disc brakes one each side for turning and the longer taller handle for use with a sulky. The unit was designed to pull a chariot sulky from the get go. The brakes are a big plus when turning and the spring loaded lift is a big plus.

Nothing compared to hydro powered, like a model t compared to a Lexus
Posted via Mobile Device

RABBITMAN11
09-24-2009, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=turfcobob;3201119]

Nothing compared to hydro powered, like a model t compared to a Lexus
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll run circles around your unit
Posted via Mobile Device

TheNatural
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am looking into both machines but I'm leaning towards the Lawn solution models. We also have three fairly large fields with no stones in them so a three point hitch tow behind model would do well there. The stander Turf solution model looks pretty sweet but I'm sure its probable double the price of the walk behind model. I said money wasn't a problem but I think anything over say four grand might be out of reach. Anybody know how much that Lawn solution stander aerator goes for? I believe i was told the walk behind model runs about $3,200.

CAROLINALAWNMAN1
09-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the replies gentleman. I am looking into both machines but I'm leaning towards the Lawn solution models. We also have three fairly large fields with no stones in them so a three point hitch tow behind model would do well there. The stander Turf solution model looks pretty sweet but I'm sure its probable double the price of the walk behind model. I said money wasn't a problem but I think anything over say four grand might be out of reach. Anybody know how much that Lawn solution stander aerator goes for? I believe i was told the walk behind model runs about $3,200.

just ask him...you deal with the man directly i got my quote for the walk behind by pm to him..i believe his lawnsite id is lawnsolutionscp...nice guy..and you ar correct on the price of the walk behind

turfcobob
09-25-2009, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=RABBITMAN11;3201123]

Posted via Mobile Device

You are on. We will take a football field and each start at one side and see who gets the the middle first.

americanlawn
09-25-2009, 08:31 PM
We run all the above. With large properties, we do most of the work with 48" Ryan pull-behinds w/hydraulic lift (pulled behind John Deere 445's -22 hp). Trim areas = small TURFCO units or LS walk-behinds or small Ryans. The funnest units we run are TURFCO split-drive w/"sulkies" -- they work fairly well doing trim areas, and they are "extremely fast" in open areas. We thought our John Deeres were fast until we bought TURFCO aerators w/sulkies. IMO, TURFCO has the fastest split-drive aerators on the market. But LS walk-behinds have an advantage on hills due to its hydrostatic tranny. We usually carry 3 different aerators on each trailer.

Our 28" split-drive TURFCO's w/sulkies are twice as fast as the LS units - trust me. The guys who run 'em listen to their radio station of choice while they aerate (headphones), and they are fun to drive.

We'll give the LS walk-behinds a serious test next month ..... their advantage is aerating in forward & reverse as well as climbing slopes, but I really don't see a "sulky" in this picture.??

I truly advise not to take turfcobob's bet regarding the football field, cuz you will lose big time. Only thing we have that will compete with similar speed are our John Deere tractors w/hydrostatic trannys.

LawnSolutionsCP
09-26-2009, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=RABBITMAN11;3201123]

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm pretty sure he is talking about his Lawn Solutions Ride-on aerator and I'm pretty sure it might be just a little faster!

Turfco's large aerator is faster on a football field than our 21" hydro walk-behind. The speed of our 21" model is limited to just 4 mph. This is done to make it safer in tight areas. On a normal residential lawn you will find just the oposite...our unit is more productive and much easier on the operator.

But.....we might have something new to show at the EXPO in Oct that again just might be pretty nice. We never stop with our R&D. I love building new products that make people go WOW!

LawnSolutionsCP
09-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Here are some pictures from PLANETs Renual and Remembrance project this year in Arlington National Cemetery. We did 18 acres with all the head stones in 1.5 hours with mostly people who don't mow their own lawns beside ever operated an aerator before.

It was an AWESOME but very humbling experience! I'm a West Point grad and have several close friends and classmates who are now buried there. We will do this every year!

TheNatural
09-26-2009, 03:38 PM
I wish our cemetery didn't have flat markers like that, it would make the job a hell of a lot eaiser but I do think those units would work the best. I'm going to start working on the powers that be to start seriously thinking about buying at least one. If all goes well I'll be contacting you LawnSolutionCP when we're ready to pull the trigger on it. What's the delivery time on those units because we only have a small window left to aerate this fall up here in New England. Thanks for the info and those pics too. Those will come in handy when I'm trying to explain it's not as a difficult job as they might think.

americanlawn
09-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi David. Thanks very much for your service to this Country..thanks man. :usflag: I also appreciate your time & effort when you visited us and allowed us to try your new ride-on aerator.

Those pictures on this thread are very impressive. Thanks for donating your company's equipment at Arlington. We sure like our LS walk-behinds (especially for small/difficult lawns as well as for trimming). They work great for seed jobs too cuz one can aerate back & forth as many times as needed with minimal effort.

One thing I might mention -- the LS walk-behind aerators do not weigh as much as traditional walk-behinds (several advantages in regard to this.)

BTW does the "blonde" in pic #2 have a cell phone number? :laugh:

LawnSolutionsCP
09-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm sure she has a cell phone but probably not going to give it out.

She really impressed me...

Well, I should explain that more. She had never run a mower before and was able to operate our aerators after training. Of course it was out in the open to start, but once she got used to them, she was zipping up and down through the cemetery. I was suprised.

EastCoast
09-27-2009, 05:13 PM
David,

Awesome service you provided!!!

:):):)

turfcobob
09-28-2009, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=RABBITMAN11;3201124]

I'm pretty sure he is talking about his Lawn Solutions Ride-on aerator and I'm pretty sure it might be just a little faster!

Turfco's large aerator is faster on a football field than our 21" hydro walk-behind. The speed of our 21" model is limited to just 4 mph. This is done to make it safer in tight areas. On a normal residential lawn you will find just the oposite...our unit is more productive and much easier on the operator.

But.....we might have something new to show at the EXPO in Oct that again just might be pretty nice. We never stop with our R&D. I love building new products that make people go WOW!

He specifically said walking LS unit.

RABBITMAN11
09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Bob your such a tool!

turfcobob
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Bob your such a tool!

Just keeping the facts straight. Math did not work out did it.

americanlawn
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Somebody forgot to put fresh batteries in their calculator. :laugh:

I wish we had 'rear view mirrors' on our TURFCO aerators (w/ sulkies) so we could see "the others" when we blow by them while "riding". :usflag:

Just keeping the facts straight. Math did not work out did it.

RABBITMAN11
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll say it again your aerators to LS is like comparing a pinto to a lexus. You guys must be worried, trying to compare a manual lift sulkey. You know I really could care a less about your company. It just seems you always try to rip the other companies down. Everyone has seen your comments it just shows how insecure you are about your product.

turfcobob
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
I'll say it again your aerators to LS is like comparing a pinto to a lexus. You guys must be worried, trying to compare a manual lift sulkey. You know I really could care a less about your company. It just seems you always try to rip the other companies down. Everyone has seen your comments it just shows how insecure you are about your product.

Excuse me Rabbit, I was telling the guy how he could use a TurnAer to do cemetery work and yhou jumped in on us. Get it straight Rabbit you have been jumping on Larry all the time and now me. I was just trying answer the guys question and said nothing about any one else's equipment as I seldom if ever do. You did that get it straight. What is your problem?