PDA

View Full Version : Total Vegetation Control by the Lake

lawnspecialties
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
My dad has a lake house and the house sits atop a large hill. The lake is down in the sandhills of NC so obviously, it's very sandy soil.

His vacant lot beside the house is semi-overgrown and he wants to clear it out. He's thinking something like Pramitol or Sahara.

1. Will these products kill the tall shrubs and scrub trees?

2. How will it effect 50'+ pine trees?

3. Will the sandy soils create a danger for runoff down to the lake or will it help absorb the product better? The last thing he wants is a fish kill or some other lake contaminant.

Thanks

phasthound
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I am not familiar with the products mentioned, but sandy soil is certainly prone to runoff as it is not capable of holding materials.

I'm curious as to why this approach is being considered. What is the goal here?

olive123
09-23-2009, 09:43 PM
keep in mind that those weeds are holding that sandy hill together. I would stunt it with a weak mixture of round up

ArizPestWeed
09-23-2009, 11:21 PM
He's thinking something like Pramitol or Sahara.

Yes , they will kill everything , including lake life .

How far from the lake shore ?

hughmcjr
09-24-2009, 01:18 AM
is the area to be treated, the vacant lot sloped toward the lake or flat? Even sloped, this may work, but one would have to read the label and be sure. I have no experience with it.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld8MN000.pdf

greendoctor
09-24-2009, 02:39 AM
That is a contact herbicide. It will dessicate and defoliate all green vegetation, however established weeds and brush soon grows back. I would be reluctant to totally kill trees and shrubs on a hill. That is sometimes the only thing preventing a landslide. Sahara might not do much to mature pine trees if used at low rates. Imazapyr and diuron are labeled as selective herbicides for use under conifers, but only on fine textured soil. Do not do Pramitol. That kills everything. I would make every effort to preserve the pine trees. That means directed applications of aquatic labeled glyphosate and or triclopyr on weeds only.

turf hokie
09-24-2009, 06:24 AM
I would be very hesitant, to the point of not using any soil sterilants. Pramtol is VERY soil mobile and will surely end up in the lake. Sahara is not as effective in sandy soils, with my experience, and might have more movement than you expect.

I would agree in Greendoctor and

"I would make every effort to preserve the pine trees. That means directed applications of aquatic labeled glyphosate and or triclopyr on weeds only. "

gunsnroses
09-24-2009, 07:02 AM
machete, and fire.

gunsnroses
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Garlon.....Basal bark application

http://www.dowagro.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_00f7/0901b803800f7001.pdf?filepath=ca/pdfs/noreg/010-20669.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc