PDA

View Full Version : who blows off fert?

grassman69
05-03-2002, 01:14 AM
I feel I've found a few niches in my custom fert program that seem to go a long way for quality service. One of these extras I
include is taking the time to blow off ALL hard surfaces on and around target site w/ handheld or backpack. I do not cut lawn
and picked this idea up from other cutting crews, but I see a clean jobsite after worth hanging my hat on. I'm just curious how many other LCO's take the few extra minutes? I still have the time in a day to produce 20-25 stops and feel it keeps the competitors away even though I may charge more for quality service.:cool:

wolfpacklawn
05-03-2002, 01:22 AM
are you serious? This is not an extra in my opinion, if you leave the fert on the concrete its going to leave little stains once the water hits it. Unless you're talking about liquid fert you have to blow off the fert that landed on the concrete.

Bob Minney
05-03-2002, 01:25 AM
I clean up after any work. Fert, aeration, mow, etc. Maybe everybody doesn't notice or care, but I do, so the blower is always the last tool loaded.

1grnlwn
05-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Ditto here.

grassman69
05-03-2002, 02:13 AM
Right on! I'm in a very competitive price market, and find alot of fast food/fast service LCO companies who telemarket/lowball to get the sales. really feel sorry for the tech's who have to fert those slashed sales. a majority of my competion comes from 4-5 other LCO's. Glad they leave their mess behind.
I didn't think this was an extra either, just a separation.
I always use granular fert/ liquid weed apps. always double app
(usually spot treat weeds). thats another separation from the competion. LOL
:cool:

TJLC
05-03-2002, 06:47 AM
What I do is cut, edge, trim, apply fertilizer then blow everything off. I can't see leaving fertilizer on concrete at all and then having to explain to the customer why he or she has stains on their walkway and drive.

Turf Technologies
05-03-2002, 07:56 AM
Plus some pet or child could eat whats on the drive or walkways.Have to get rid of it for that reason as well.

LawnLad
05-03-2002, 08:43 AM
In Ohio, and I suspect in other states as well, it's AGAINST THE LAW to leave pesticide on the sidewalk. So, if that fert has pesticide in it, and you leave it applied to a "non-targeted" area, you could be fined.

Yes, it's the professional thing to do to blow the crunchies off the sidewalk.

Craig Turf Management
05-03-2002, 09:30 AM
I clean up as well. Fert., lime etc. left on the walk is hazardous, and not very professional. You're doing the right thing.
Bill Craig!

bruces
05-03-2002, 09:40 AM
I always blow off.

It's funny though, one of the largest local companies here (an independent) never blows off.

1MajorTom
05-03-2002, 04:39 PM
Yep, we blow off the walks and drive.

Gotta say the same thing as Bruce. We see a large company that doesn't blow anything off. You can always tell when they have been at a property, and it's not because of their flags.

ohiolawnguy
05-03-2002, 09:22 PM
always blow walk and drives after fertilizing. as lawnlad said, it is the law.

but TGCL doesn't do this because they are above the law.

MATTHEW
05-03-2002, 10:35 PM
There is no excuse for driving away from a property with fert all over the driveway. It's illegal and irresponsible. You should be able to stop at any home with fert all over the drive, knock on the door and steal the account. I make a practice of doing that.

Runner
05-04-2002, 01:37 AM
We HAVE to blow them off, as every one of our granular aps contain iron.

KirbysLawn
05-04-2002, 02:03 AM
No Green/Brown Lawn here does not blow off after granular apps. I do a lawn next to theirs and the sidewalk was covered, just pictured a kid rolling across that. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I would consider blowing off the fertilizer an "extra".

tremor
05-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Most straight ferts that contain Iron require the product be removed from concrete surfaces to avoid staining. Kinda no brainer stuff, but some folks don't clean up after themselves around here. They should regardless of Iron content though. Fert left in the street around here ends up in Long Island sound. That's where all of our storm drains lead to. How would we like a picture of ourselves on the evening news as a back drop to a public interest story on the next Lobster kill? Anyone out there want your trucks in that story?

Pesticide combo's are another matter all together. Not cleaning up in this case constitutes an off target & illegal pesticide application.

I think a grass roots effort is in order by the concscienceous applicators who do things right to turn in those who don't. Our industry gets beat up enough now. Why would we permit anyone to run around handing out sticks to bash us with?

Laws in this case are for those who lack the common sense & decency to do the right thing. But it doesn't matter if there's no enforcement.

JMHO though

Steve

Harvestman
05-04-2002, 06:42 PM
We always blow off the walks and driveway. Its the law in Ohio. I have a mowing customer that one of the big boys fert, just couldn't talk her out of it. Brand new house,new walks new driveway.Well they don't look new now brown speckled and pretty ugly. You get what you pay for.