PDA

View Full Version : problem with replacing spindle on exmark?

lasher66
09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi,
Ok, I broke the blade bolt while removing the blades for sharpening so I had to buy a new spindle since the bolt was broke up inside it. Anyways I am having huge probs getting the spindle nut off. On top, there is the nut on top of the spindle, the the pulley and then a spindle nut under the pulley. I had to cut off the top nut to get the pulley off and now I can not get the spindle nut off. My model is the Lazer z HP 604104 if you want to see the parts lookup. Anyways I removed the whole cutter housing from deck and put in a vice so I could really crank on this thing. I put silicone spray, heated up with the propane torch and I am using a huge pipe wrench with lots of leverage. I am going counter clockwise too to loosen it. Any other ideas to break loose this spindle nut. The parts manual says it is torqued to 160 lbs. Thanks

Jason

DT Lawn Care
09-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi,
Ok, I broke the blade bolt while removing the blades for sharpening so I had to buy a new spindle since the bolt was broke up inside it. Anyways I am having huge probs getting the spindle nut off. On top, there is the nut on top of the spindle, the the pulley and then a spindle nut under the pulley. I had to cut off the top nut to get the pulley off and now I can not get the spindle nut off. My model is the Lazer z HP 604104 if you want to see the parts lookup. Anyways I removed the whole cutter housing from deck and put in a vice so I could really crank on this thing. I put silicone spray, heated up with the propane torch and I am using a huge pipe wrench with lots of leverage. I am going counter clockwise too to loosen it. Any other ideas to break loose this spindle nut. The parts manual says it is torqued to 160 lbs. Thanks

Jason

If you're replacing the whole spindle and bolt, and you have the pulley off, then what's the problem? You should be able to drop the spindle through right? On most, there are 4 bolts that hold the spindle onto the deck, if you take those off, the spindle should come right off, don't worry about taking the spindle apart??? Kind of confusing to me. If this isn't a solution please describe what needs to be done and why the top spindle nut must come off.

lasher66
09-23-2009, 11:37 PM
I did take off the whole housing that the spindle is inside. On my model of mower, there is a nut on top which holds the pulley on which is now taken off. But now there is a spindle nut that has to be undone to allow the spindle to drop through the cutter housing. Hope this makes sense. You almost have to look at the parts diagram at exmark.com. thanks

Jason

DT Lawn Care
09-23-2009, 11:47 PM
OK, I see what you are talking about, when you said replace the "spindle" I thought you meant the whole housing, that's normally what it is, but they are calling the "spindle" the main shaft thing. I gotcha now.

Is there by any chance a gear or splined shaft sticking out the bottom that the blade can catch on? If there is, I would hold the blade on for a hold on the bottom, and use an impact on the top nut. If there's not and you cannot get a hold, you may have to buy a whole new housing and internals. Or else somehow cut the top nut off, like with a cutting torch. Good Luck

mowerknower
09-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Have you tried an air wrench. I have never had a problem getting that nut off with a 1/2 air wrench.

Breezmister
09-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Any other ideas to break loose this spindle nut. The parts manual says it is torqued to 160 lbs.

If you have the time, soak it in P B Blaster for an hour. Then take a cheater bar ( Pipe about 2 foot long ) and add it to a breaker bar and make sure you lock the spindle shaft down, other wise you might go ass over tea cup :rolleyes:

GraZHopA
09-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't think that the "silicone spray" is helping to loosen the nut. You need the PB Blaster (best in my opinion) or atleast try WD-40, and let it work for an hour or so. Good luck!