PDA

View Full Version : Help! Pre-m question

lawnfire
05-03-2002, 09:31 AM
I may have killed some bermuda grass with too much pre-m. I purchased a brand new Lesco spreader two months ago, and went to work spreading fert w/pre-m.(I have always used a scotts spreader). Long story short- a 4' x 60' area of bermuda grass, about 1/3 of the grass never greened-up. I did lay the pre-m alittle heavy in this area. It has always been a healthy lawn, now it would appear that the grass is dead.
Is there anything that can be done to increase the spread of the remainig bermuda.(there are some small sprouts of bermuda in the dead area. Thanks

lawnstudent
05-05-2002, 02:37 PM
What did you specifically apply? What product name? What rate did you apply? Was it a fert. w/Pre-M? Is it fertilizer burn from too much fert?

jim

lawnfire
05-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Lesco 5-10-10 w/ pre-m. This was applied before the bermuda greened up. 4lb per 1000. Just a case of the shiney new Lesco spreader(always used the Scotts) that delivers much more fert in a wider pattern. I relize the Bermuda will creep, I would like to speed up the process, or make the soil very fertile to help out this process. Thanks for your help, I live across the street from this customer(neighbor), and value their business. Jim

KirbysLawn
05-05-2002, 04:41 PM
How many pounds did you apply on how many sf?

lawnstudent
05-05-2002, 07:17 PM
4lb.s N per 1000 sq. ft. is a bit excessive! Typical app is 1 - 1.5 lbs. per M (1000 sq.ft.). Better to apply many apps over time than to dump 4 Lbs. at once. Fert every 6 weeks.

I don't know the analysis for Lesco 5-10-10 w/pre-M. Can you tell me what the N, P, K source is for this fert? And what percentages? Does anyone know if this Lesco product burns?

jim

KirbysLawn
05-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Lawnstudent, he applied 4 pounds fertilizer per 1000 (not N)according to the spreader calabration chart. If it was applied correctly it should not have burned the grass at only 5% N.

I may need to re-word my last post....I know you had the spreader set at 4 pounds per k but how much fertilizer was really applied per k?

lawnstudent
05-06-2002, 12:59 AM
KirbysLawn,

thanks for the clarification. I agree. If 4 lb. of fert per M was applied w/5% N, 10% P, & 10% K then there should not have been a fertilizer burn of the lawn.

jim

strickdad
05-12-2002, 12:12 AM
lawn fire get us a pic of this dead grass......