PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda aeration in fall?

georgiagrass
09-23-2009, 10:27 PM
In Georgia, we all know that warm season grasses, such as Bermuda, benefit most from aeration in the spring (rather than summer or fall), before the grass begins vigorous growth. Do any of you learned gentlemen hold the view that aerating a warm season grass, such as Bermuda, in Georgia (or similar climates) in the fall is harmful to the lawn?

KDLAWN
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
i will say we usually areate in Aug. to help the grass breath alittle in heat we usually get. Except this year with all the rain.lol. not sure if this is helpfull or not but it makes since to me that it is good for the grass

turfcobob
09-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I would have to say that a very late fall aeration would be a benefit to the Bermuda just like it is for our northern grasses. By going in when or right after the grass goes dormant and removing lots of cores you are giving the soil time to work around and lossen up before spring. You will not have the benefit of freeze and thaw but the relieved soil will still move around during the course of the winter rains. Also a dormant fertilization would be a big help for the early spring green up as it would also work into the soil during the dormant period and be broken down and ready for the new growth in the spring.

CAROLINALAWNMAN1
09-25-2009, 12:44 AM
it is just not needed..if u want to know if it will be ok to do it, then as long as you have 2-3 weeks before it goes dormant in your area then u shouldnt cause any damage...less than that and you will be sorry in the spring when all of your damage plants are dead...

greendoctor
09-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Mechanical operations to bermuda are best done in spring, before it gets too hot and dry. I have to agree with Carolinalawnman. In my location, grass does not go fully dormant, however, aeration or vertical mowing done after October results in a lawn that looks like $hit until next spring. It takes too long for the grass to regrow. In the meantime, the lawn is also opened up to weeds. Simazine is ok as a preemergent. I treat an aerated lawn like a newly planted lawn. Pre-M, Dimension or Barricade are not good ideas. Bermuda is stoloniferous and those herbicides interfere with stolon development and rooting.

Craig3
09-25-2009, 02:24 PM
According to Oklahoma State University and Kansas State University you want to aerate while the grass is growing- this said I'd assume that partially dormant is a bad time. Im waiting til spring to aerate my bermuda lawns