PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what ZTR to buy

Tom W
05-03-2002, 08:56 AM
I'm a home owner that has about 6 acres to mow in North Carolina. The land is rolling and flat with several trees and a house and garden area. I have been using a Toro 48" lawn tractor for the last 5 years, but it is worn out and very slow.Takes about 5 hours to mow.
After doing some research on this web site, I am interested in a Exmark Lazer HP 44" or 48", or Toro has a new ZTR called a Time Cutter for home owners. It is available in 44 and 52 with 17 horsepower. I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples, but the price difference is Toro $4700.00. vs. Lazer HP $6300.00. Is the Exmark overkill for my situation and will there be much difference in a 44" and 48" cut in the amout of time it takes to mow 6 acres. Need some imput from some of the expert help on this website.
Thanks in advance.
Tom W
twrayw@gloryroad.net

farmguy
05-03-2002, 10:10 AM
I'm a homeowner also. Cut about 10 acres a week and just recently bought an Exmark 52" Lazer Z w/20 hp Kohler. This is my first ZTR and I don't regrett it at all. Rugged and well built would be how I would describe this machine. I started researching them about a year before I needed to make a decision on another mower. The only other one I would have considered would have been the Kubota ZD 21 but was a little out of my price range since it is not providing a revenue stream. Hope this helps.

Trent

rick_reno
05-03-2002, 10:33 AM
I'm a homeowner and I looked at a lot of ZTR mowers. I decided on the Hustler Z with the 60 inch deck. I had a lot of them out at my place trying them out and the Hustler was the one that worked best for my application - hills, trees, some rough ground. The Z was the most stable, solid mower I tried and it has holders for two beverages! It's built like the proverbial brick house. What was good about having them out here to try was the Z was not a mower I was considering when looking thru literature or when looking at the dealer shops. I'd suggest getting your local dealers to bring them out to let you try them on your yard before purchasing, they should all be willing to do that. Remember when looking at these things for mowing around trees or doing edges that the deck vs. wheel width is very important and I found I got much better results with bigger decks - I could get in closer with larger decks vs. the smaller decked machines.

65hoss
05-03-2002, 10:53 AM
The comm'l mower has comm'l grade everything. Last much much longer than a homeower version. Buy 1 mower to last forever since its only your property or buy the homeowner version and spend another $5k some years down the road.

You would never put the hours on a comm'l mower to wear it out. Spend the extra $2k now in my opinion.

Oliver1850
05-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Everyone will have there preferences and opinions. The decision ultimately is yours. No matter which commercial brand you choose, you cannot go wrong.

Take a look at the new Scag Tiger Cubs. They have been completely redone this year and are an excellent choice for a yard of your size.

I personally run both a 2001 exmark Laser Z and 2002 Scag Tiger Cub, both with 52" decks. As far as quality of cut between the two, there is no difference. Part for part, the Scag is the hands down winner, especially ease of maintenance.

The big difference between the two is ride quality. My crew fights over who gets to run the Scag. It is well balanced, (engine placement helps) and is less likely to turn the tires on the wet stuff.

I do not know much about the Hustler brand, however, everything I've heard indicates they have a low center of gravity and are excellent on the hills and slopes.

Good Luck

jbell
05-03-2002, 11:21 AM
I have a Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 HP Kohler 52 inch cut and it is ideal for residential yards. The wider cut is a big time saver and commecial durability is much better. Not overkill, just better built and running machines.

I also looked at the timecutter and other residential units but fortunately decided to go with the commerical unit. You will never look back.

HLC
05-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Tom,
At 6 acres you are bordering on needing to step up to the commercial grade equipment. I agree with 65hoss. Spend a little extra and get a mower that will last you a lifetime. Take a look at the Hustler Z. I just got mine last week (25hp/60" s/d) My dad got one the week before (23hp/60" s/d). We are both extremely pleased. My dad is cutting his neighbors 5 acres and is putting about 1.7 hrs on the machine (1.7......I think that's what he said). If the price of the Z is a little too much, consider the Hustler Fastrak. As you can tell I am partial to the Hustlers but the Exmark is a great machine as well. Best advice........Demo!

awm
05-03-2002, 03:57 PM
i got to get a plug in for the lazer . been real good to me.

GCS LawnService
05-03-2002, 11:16 PM
I would definately spend the extra money on the commercial equipment. I recently sold a John Deere M665 with a 25 hp Kohler and a 60 Inch 7 Iron Deck. The new mower I purchased is a John Deere 757 25 hp Kawasaki and a 60 Inch 7 Iron Deck. I am definately impressed with the improvements with the newly designed John Deere Z Trax. John Deere has several different models to be competetive with other mowers. The Kawasaki seems to have more power than the Kohler so far. I would not own anything less than a 25 hp engine and a 60 inch deck for my use.

:blob2:

JMcGuire
05-09-2002, 11:23 AM
I purchased a Toro Timecutter 17-52, it has been a very nice ZTR for me, but I am with alot of people, I really like the Lazer models. I gave $4100 as well as a ragged out Husquavarna tractor. I thought about trading it in for a 20-52 Lazer HP. I mower approx. 1 acre, with about 40 trees. Any ideas from anyone.