PDA

View Full Version : Building

tthomass
09-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm in the process, have been, of designing my shop etc to build this winter. I'm back and forth on a few things but the layout will get straightened out. Here's the questions...........steel or wood? Both have about the same outside walls and roof (tin). I'm just a little hung up on a steel or wood building. From what I've seen, wood is less expensive. I can design the building and have a lumber place or saw mill cut everything for me and order trusses.

Steel or wood and an educational "why" please. Thanks.

Swampy
09-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Steel will last longer, you can span wider widths to span with steel with out have poles scattering the shop, you also need less steel members as they can be space apart further, also more expensive up front cost. Wood that is dried and kept dry will last more than a life time, easy to work with, cheap, does require inspections for termites, ants, and such. Also easier to hang things off of I.E. racks, shelving, etc.

DVS Hardscaper
09-24-2009, 07:05 AM
It's personal preference.

In terms of resale, neither will make a difference at all.

Hey, schools and churches are made of steel and block.

Qualey
09-24-2009, 07:22 AM
I have to disagree on the resale mention. In my area steel carries its value much more than wood. Insurance is much less as well (although not nearly as good as block). Wood is faster, cheaper and a good way to go if designed right. It doesn't sound as though resale is a big priority if its for your use, so I would use a wood structure.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Steel will withstand a fire if the unfortunate happens.

Bru75
09-24-2009, 05:58 PM
If you're talking about a wooden post frame building, it will be cheaper to build but in time the posts at and below grade will rot. Steel lasts much longer with more cost upfront.
You might want to check out www.permacolumn.com, I haven't used them but it seems like a good idea.

stuvecorp
09-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Most of it depends on budget or how you want to build if you are doing it yourself. We went with the Miracle truss style because it had to look a certain way. It is steel trusses and has wood purlin and girts. Will look for some pics when just the steel was up.

tthomass
09-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Pictures would be great..........from anybody actually. I'm thinking of something about 40x60. With my zoning etc, no inspections will be taking place but that doesn't go to say its not going to be built properly. Whatever I build the county views agriculturally as a "pole barn" regardless of structure. I got the building permit months ago, just waiting on winter to get here to build. I'm planning for probably (2) 14' garage doors + 1 regular door between them. Inside a finished concrete floor with drains.

Swampy
09-25-2009, 01:39 AM
I've seen a barn that was 40 wide made of wood that was hanging about 10 years and the trusses are bowing and twisting. This could have been avoided with beams but a 8400 JD really doen't fit to well with beams, let alone the harvester with a 24ft cutter on the front.

If your thinking fire wise. Think of your shop becoming a giant oven, wood burst in to flames at 451*. Steel unfortunaly stores heat, and when heat is stored with in steel it becomes soft/lose's its temper, thus a problem with the WTC when the fire proofing was knocked off.

It really is a horse a piece really. Some of Lawnsite's firefighters can answer that question better than I can. I just picked a few things from family.

tthomass
09-25-2009, 06:29 AM
I really have no concern about fire. A good fire would be my parents barn. I would guess its 80x150 and holds LOTS of hay. If my shop was to catch fire I would obviously be a bit upset but in the end I've got insurance so pull out the marsh mellows and make the most of it!

PaperCutter
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Todd, if you're considering steel you may want to keep an eye out for a used (disassembled and stored) building. I designed a barn for a client of mine that was to be completely custom and stickbuilt. He ended up picking up a used steel building for next to nothing, so he's doing that for the time being.

etwman
09-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I think ours is 40x60 but don't quote me on that. It will allow you four trucks inside and offices .....as you have seen it.

I will tell you first hand that insuring a steel building is far less expensive than a wooden building of the same size due to the risk of fire. Adding onto a steel building is alot easier.

Consider radiant heat in the floor with a wood burning furnace outside with a water circulator on it. Burn you debris over the winter and heat your building. You can get them big enough that you can feed them every three days with a skid loader. The costs of one will pay for itself in two years easily.

Option two, like ours is a waste oil burner. We burn about 700 gallons a winter to heat the shop at around 60. The down side is we don't generate enough waste oil so we end up hunting for it mid-winter.

tthomass
09-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I've been debating on the heat. I know someone back home who has such a heating system for his home. Gas would not be the way to go $$$.

I've looked online a bit for used buildings but they're a little hard to find among the thousand companies trying to sell new ones.

EagleLandscape
09-27-2009, 02:04 PM
My 40x50 steel building gets delivered in 2 days...:) will be sure to send pictures.

I'm even thinking of doing a wood burning fireplace in the corner. Scrap wood from jobs is something that never runs dry here. We always take back the larger logs and split them for my house.

I'm doing R10 insulation on sides and top.

tthomass
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Who is it by? What options do you have? Garage doors, doors, sky lights etc.....if you care to share, price?

EagleLandscape
09-28-2009, 07:01 AM
I used United Steel, out of Florida. I don't recommend using them. Took them like 180 working days from the last payment till delivery! CRAZY! Mueller is a good company down south here, 4 week turn around. Not sure if they do stuff up north.

I have (2) 10w x 12h doors & a 3070 walk door. Skylights, few of those. Window and another walk door in the back courtesy of father in law. Probably going to do electrical myself.

I want to say the building was around $15,000 =/- 2k or so. It's been so long since I've looked at the papers. My foundation and concrete pour up to the foundation was about the same price as well. Highly plastic soils here with a PVR of 5.8, so lots of steel and concrete in the deal - 36" deep beams 9' O.C.

Once it gets up, it will be well worth it.

Also consider a lean-to off the side of the buidling. Some place to store materials that can be "outside" but need to be covered. That is cheap sq ft there. I will be doing a 50x20 greenhouse off the side of mine once it is up.

tthomass
09-28-2009, 07:37 PM
I explore with not having the shop be so large and having a shelter off the side of 30' deep x 60' long to park the trucks etc under. The shop would be big enough for whatever we need to work on and have something like a single 14' garage door.

More of what I think I'll do though is (2) 14' garage doors with a 36" door between them.....as I said earlier. Then the pole barn off the side, at the above size, gives me (5) 12' wide 30' bays to park the Bobcat(s), trailers, trucks etc. With the connection I have back home at a saw mill, I may end up going with a wood building and painted tin roof. I'd pour a concrete floor and build up 24" with block and have the walls go up from there. More like a conventional stick built home and do it ourselves.

Yes, I need to check on the insurance but that I expect to be very minimal.

tthomass
09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
For a 30x60 shelter.......roof only.......I was quoted $7k but tin has come down big time since then and figure it much closer to the $6k mark. That included every nut, bolt and screw to build it. Also, truss roof and not single pitch.

EagleLandscape
09-29-2009, 08:30 AM
...driver just called.... 30 more minutes until the first truck arrives:)

EagleLandscape
10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
got it up finally. doors are still backordered, and it needs plumbing and electrical. but im just happy its here.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=164816&stc=1&d=1255911133

tthomass
10-19-2009, 10:09 PM
What are the details on your shop? Also, how/if are you heating it? More pics?

EagleLandscape
10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
40w x 50 deep. (2) 10wx12h rollup doors. insulated with R9. Don't really need heat here in north texas, a small propane heater maybe for the really cold days. dont have electrical or plumbing in yet.

will grab some inside pics today.

etwman
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I used United Steel, out of Florida. I don't recommend using them. Took them like 180 working days from the last payment till delivery! CRAZY! Mueller is a good company down south here, 4 week turn around. Not sure if they do stuff up north.

I have (2) 10w x 12h doors & a 3070 walk door. Skylights, few of those. Window and another walk door in the back courtesy of father in law. Probably going to do electrical myself.

I want to say the building was around $15,000 =/- 2k or so. It's been so long since I've looked at the papers. My foundation and concrete pour up to the foundation was about the same price as well. Highly plastic soils here with a PVR of 5.8, so lots of steel and concrete in the deal - 36" deep beams 9' O.C.

Once it gets up, it will be well worth it.

Also consider a lean-to off the side of the buidling. Some place to store materials that can be "outside" but need to be covered. That is cheap sq ft there. I will be doing a 50x20 greenhouse off the side of mine once it is up.

John we could have gotten that building for $7300 up here. ........sorry I'm just yanking your chain....I shouldn't do that.

EagleLandscape
10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
you suck. this was a price I locked in nearly 2 years ago (as i thought steel would continue to rise)... who knew the economy would tank and demands for everything tank as well.

is $7300 a realistic price for those materials in your neck of the woods?

mrsops
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Here's a pic of my shop, i went through the same thing last year i was suppose to build another building but didn't know if i wanted to go with steel or wood. Hopefully this year i can make up my dam mind and build something else

etwman
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm just toying with you John. I have no idea what that building would cost up here. I felt I needed to poke after you're paying $2400 a month for a track machine.

EagleLandscape
10-20-2009, 11:05 PM
The job that we are using the tracked machine is a T+M job. I am actually impressed with how fast and efficiently we are working. I am probably making less money than if I bid it fixed... but still turning out a crazy profit. Currently we are around 60-70k within the past month and a half of working on the job 1-3 days a week. We still have tons left to do... check out the house here...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283666

Long story short, all of my rental fees get marked up and billed back to the customer. The machine has sat for 10 days in the mud due to all of the rain.