PDA

View Full Version : Getting prepared to go full time in 2010... Need some advice...

rm25x
09-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Ok I have been reading on this site for quite a while now.

My business is legit, LLC, insurance, etc was just set up.

Right now, I have just a few properties that I mow that are foreclosures for a friend at the bank.

I also have a sign business, I do yard signs, banners, vehicle lettering, shirts, etc out of my house. I plan to keep doing this part time as well. All the equipment is paid for, and it just lowers my operating costs for the lawn care business. Logo is done already, as are the new cards, trailer lettering, etc.

I have been working on a business plan as well. I also have most if not all of the equipment needed to start.

I have read Procut's failure thread, and was able to pick up quite a bit. Its one of the reasons I decided to do a business plan. Again, thanks to all for that added information.

My question is I plan to keep this a solo operation. Am I smart to just focus on cutting grass? Should I add aeration or other services to my available services? I know I need to be licensed to do pesticides, etc so that may be down the road. I would like to do simple landscaping, flowerbed clean outs, etc. I am also interested in adding home playground setups if possible.

I just don't want to spend money on un-needed equipment for services I shouldn't be offering to begin with if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rob
Great Lakes Property Services LLC

mobileboy
09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Just start small and develop systems for your billing and scheduling. You will need to be very efficient to make it work. Keep your services simple at first, and remember that most states require you to have a professional services permit if you are going to plant a plant in someone's yard. Here in AL, you have to pay a fee and take an individual test for landscape design (VERY difficult test), setting of landscape plants (not bad), ornanmental turf pest control (VERY hard test), and you have to pay annual fees to keep the permits valid. Just make sure you do everything legally. Sounds like you've got it pretty-well hammered out. GOOD LUCK!

rm25x
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info, I will have to look that info up here for Michigan.

tinman
09-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Just cutting is a good business until winter so you have to make a ton and manage it well while busy. Having winter work is important. Anything you see needing done to clients yards in the off season is more services you can offer.... aerating, leaves, pruning etc. Good luck.

SangerLawn
09-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Definatly offer power seeding and aeration. Don’t bother buying the equipment until after you see how your business grows. You can rent those items instead of buying