PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean up acorns?

QuadRacer041
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Here in Northern NJ the acorns have been falling like crazy the past few weeks. Worst i've seen it in years. Anyone have any suggestions of ways to clean them up? Grass is still growing pretty good so cutting is being done weekly. You guys cleaning them up with each visit? Whats the best way even with a strong back back they dont go very far. Or is waiting to the end better? You charge extra for that or is it included. Time adds up quick trying to clean them up.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
09-24-2009, 06:29 PM
If you've got them bad the fastest way it with wheeled blowers and a truckloader. Back-packs and rakes simply take too much time. On hard surface a vacuum will work but in grass you'll have to make so many back and forth passes (like a vacuum on carpet) it's not effective unless you've only got a couple of oak trees.

Acorns (the nut not the "nuts") are very aerodynamic and if green are very heavy for their size. The deeper the grass the harder it is to get those very forces to work against them. They are probably the one of the hardest things to pick up.

Hoy landscaping
09-24-2009, 07:38 PM
there falling like no other over here in Montgomery co. PA. there all over. im just leaving them. if the customer wants them cleaned up thats extra

Smallaxe
09-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I'll clean them up when I have the walk behind blower for the oak leaves. The customer will have to specifically ask to have it done now, but it is really a large expense with little reward.

QuadRacer041
09-25-2009, 06:44 PM
It sux, its take so damn long because even with a push blower they still dont go very far.

Smallaxe
09-26-2009, 12:10 AM
It sux, its take so damn long because even with a push blower they still dont go very far.

The best I can figure is... pick up a 'bunch' of small piles...

Isobel
09-26-2009, 02:55 AM
squirrel army.

wrtenterprises
09-26-2009, 07:37 AM
We use a power broom or paddle attachment on my Stihl Kombi, and Echo PAS. Works great, broom into a pile and shovel them up. Free de-thatching also!!!!!!

QuadRacer041
09-26-2009, 08:06 AM
We use a power broom or paddle attachment on my Stihl Kombi, and Echo PAS. Works great, broom into a pile and shovel them up. Free de-thatching also!!!!!!

That seems like a good idea, it doesnt wreck the grass? I would assume its faster then a blower and rake huh?

2low4NH
09-26-2009, 09:45 AM
power broom works the best.

TheNatural
09-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Power broom sounds like the way to go. We've always used backpacks to do the job. I find you have to be a bit more aggressive blowing acorns than anything else. What I mean by that is you have to get closer to the turf and right up on them to really get em moving well. It's a little bit more of a workout and you have to do more side to side movements with the hose as well. I get em in lines and work em as far as I can go until their ready to pile. Then a scoop, barrel, and rake finishes it up.

FastMan
09-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Secretly video tape them doing something wrong, then strip them of their funding.

wrtenterprises
09-29-2009, 07:32 AM
You do need to pay attention, but we have yet to create any long lasting damage to the turf. This method gets them all, embedded or not. I personally like the broom attachment best, but the paddle works fine also....

kirk1701
09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
squirrel army.

:clapping:

Yep, have oak tree's in the front yard, walnot and hickory tree's in the back. Most of the walnuts have already fallen and what the squirrel's didn't get a neighbor did.

Only problem is my squirrels think my yard is the best place to now dig up, hide their nuts :confused:

Isobel
09-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Yep, have oak tree's in the front yard, walnot and hickory tree's in the back. Most of the walnuts have already fallen and what the squirrel's didn't get a neighbor did.

Only problem is my squirrels think my yard is the best place to now dig up, hide their nuts :confused:

well then you need an army of panthers--to go after the squirrels

Kiril
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Cut the tree down ... no tree, no acorns. :laugh:

QuadRacer041
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Cut the tree down ... no tree, no acorns. :laugh:

I like the way you think!

LBLC_LCO
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Secretly video tape them doing something wrong, then strip them of their funding.

lol Nice.

QuadRacer041
10-01-2009, 05:58 PM

Stihl makes the powersweep(paddles) or the brush. What one do you use? Looks like the brush may be too abrasive for the lawn.

QuadRacer041
10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
power broom works the best.

Like I asked before, you use the bristle brush or the paddle attachment?

wrtenterprises
10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I personally like the brush. Works great for anti-skid clean-up in the Spring also.....

QuadRacer041
10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I personally like the brush. Works great for anti-skid clean-up in the Spring also.....

Wow ok, and the brush doesnt seem to hurt the lawn?

lawntennis
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
what is anti-skid clean up?

FYS777
10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
call all the hog framers, let them bring on the HOG herds.:):)

Jb3NH
10-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Picked up a Paddle head for my shindaiwa 242 with just for the acorns this year. I would like to see it action vs. apples and pears.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/_images/products/multitools/standard/powerbroom.jpg

STIHL GUY
10-04-2009, 01:37 PM
i wait till i do the fall cleanup and clean em all with the WB blower

QuadRacer041
10-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Just picked up a Stihl paddle power brush today. GOING TO TRY IT OUT TOMORROW AND SEE IF IT WORKS OUT.

DJJS
10-07-2009, 10:12 PM

definately the way to go lol

yardmanlee
10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
someone video that paddle broom in action!

krider
10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
shindi power broom here with paddles. works awesome for acorns.

alf500series
10-10-2009, 06:11 PM
you could just burn them off-lol :blob2:

lawnguyland
10-10-2009, 09:33 PM
. I find you have to be a bit more aggressive blowing acorns than anything else. .

heee heee heee.....

....:laugh:i'm so childish

Smittie
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
heee heee heee.....

....:laugh:i'm so childish

Dude that was so funny I made it part of my sig!! I almost fell out of my chair when I read it!!!

mdlwn1
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
That seems like a good idea, it doesnt wreck the grass? I would assume its faster then a blower and rake huh?

Yes...things like these destroy grass.

alf500series
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
yeah but where would the nuts be located at???????:laugh:

cphillips0053
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
squirrel army.

LOL :laugh:

yardatwork
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
They're real bad here in western PA. I was blowing leaves with my tractor when I ran over a cluster of acorns and BAM...an acron shot out from the deck, hit a tree that was about two feet away from me, bounced off the tree, and was now heading right towards my eye...SMACK...the acron hit me in the eye. My left eye now is all bloody red and sore. I usually have sun glasses on but on that day it was overcast and dreary out so I didn't wear my glasses. Looks like the clear safety glasses are going to be required!

socty
10-22-2009, 06:25 PM
They're bad up here in New England again this year. They were really bad two years ago, and I thought it would be a long time til they were that bad again...wrongo! I don't leave them on the lawn because they'll get enbedded by the mowers. Can somebody give me a definitive answer as to whether or not they do damage to a lawn? I assume they do, expecially en masse. I have a special code on my billing system just for "acorn removal". Three guys with backpack blowers can knock out thousands of acorns in a short period of time, but it ain't free!!!

Guinness56
10-25-2009, 09:36 PM
With those brooms, though, you'd still need to pick them up in the end somehow. Shovel, etc. Plus, they'll damage the grass, right?

How about the Little Wonder HPV? I read another thread on this where several guys had a lot of success using that thing. I went to a local dealer who had an oak tree out front....he let me demo the thing there. I stomped on the acorns prior to trying it out to make it a little more realistic (ie - being pushed down by mowers, etc.) I gotta tell you, it worked great. Easily picked up 85+% of them. Unfortunately, I never bought it, and every time I clean up acorns and hickory nuts, I wish I had. Maybe this fall I will.

Added benefit would be, of course, using it to clean up leaves, etc. around inside corners, shrubs, planting beds, etc.

Just a thought.

Joe

NNJLandman
10-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I feel your pain with the acorns around here. A couple houses its unreal. I just use backpack blowers to blow them into piles, then we have two plastic snow shovels we use to scoop em up and throw em in barrels. It is time consuming but its worked for me.

TheCleaningDoc
10-25-2009, 10:53 PM
I can't believe that no one has the real answer.....

Herd of white tail deer.......

solve 2 problems at one time.......

Acorns Gone

Lawn Fertilized

Guinness56
10-25-2009, 11:23 PM
no way....I have that problem at my house due to the acorns that I haven't gotten to cleaning up. They crap all over my lawn as they eat up the acorns. Completely sucks...friggin mess. Can't walk anywhere without stepping in it.

I think the Little Wonder might be the move.

RDA
10-26-2009, 01:32 AM
I can't believe the number of acorns I had this year with my 15 year old trees. And here I thought it was entirely due to my fertilization program why I had so many acorns. I have already cleaned them up a few times (using my BP blower and then with a rake and shovel). I have a Echo PAS with a power broom, never considered using it, I'll have to try it out. I know people use them to get gravel out of their yards from plows so it makes sense they work on acorns as well. Even with cleaning them up a few times, I looked up into the trees today, there are still 1,000s of them in each of the three oak trees.

I have never seen so many squirrels as I have seen lately, they are feasting on the acorns along with the chipmunks and the occasional raccoons getting their share of them as well. That being said, they are hardly making a dent on the crop of acorns.

Regards,

Rich

FYS777
10-26-2009, 01:39 AM
here is the best cure no one has said,

use power saw and make cord wood, gets rid of acorns and pesky squirrels plus the leaves also.

RDA
10-26-2009, 10:45 AM
here is the best cure no one has said,

use power saw and make cord wood, gets rid of acorns and pesky squirrels plus the leaves also.

Someone beat you to it back on post #16:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3207119&postcount=16

Regards,

Rich

FYS777
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
o-- bummer

Guinness56
10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
seriously, though - I'd love to know if anyone's had success using the LW HPV on jobs cleaning up acorns. My limited use indicated it should work well...

TwinTurbo
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Like someone else said, we had a big year just a couple of seasons ago and this year is another banner year for acorns. I noticed one difference this year; they are already rooting! I think the damp weather has made a big difference with difficulty in cleaning them up.

I have a small walk behind vacuum that isn't quite up to the task of vacuuming them up. I have a DR Leaf and Lawn vac that I use for most chores but unless you disconnect the hose and lay it on the ground, even it has problems with acorns. I use my LW 9hp blower to herd the acorns, sticks, leaves, rocks and anything else in its way. But it's no match for the ones that have already sprouted and taken hold. Those need mechanical action to free them before they can be collected. I'd say a good 50% of them are rooting. This is the first year I thought it might be good to have a paddle broom.

Last time, I got 7 garbage cans worth of acorns from my own yard. This year, I have done maybe 1/2 the yard and I already have 5. I hate oak trees!!!

nswc101
11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
We make piles and load up barrels. There's no point dragging piles of acorns all over the lawn lol. The best rake to clean up acorns is called the Rugg Kleen Sweep, couldn't find any pics but they're all metal and made in MA by Rugg MFG. Pretty old fashioned looking rakes but also very sturdy.

nswc101
11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Here's a pic actually:

http://www.westerngolf.com/images/products/RG41.jpg

dgw
11-18-2009, 07:23 AM
i was doin some string trimming today and took an acorn to the you know whats

i had to stop and sit down a minute

MOW ED
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Besides the obvious benefit of eating the nuts, this guy has a sack that can carry a few extra:laugh:

I use my backpack blower for high concentrations and if necessary then roll over with the Walker and vacuum them up. It doesn't get every last one but it does a decent job.

QuadRacer041
11-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Ive been using the stihl power sweeper atchment and it has been working very well.

Marcos
11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Ive been using the stihl power sweeper atchment and it has been working very well.

Yeah, I'll bet that machine does quite a number on turf under oak trees, too. :laugh:

QuadRacer041
11-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I'll bet that machine does quite a number on turf under oak trees, too. :laugh:

O yeah, do yea......:rolleyes:

Guinness56
03-25-2010, 01:20 PM
So, I"m resurrecting this thread as I finally picked one of those LW vacs up...bought it used on Craigs List. Hands-down, this thing is VERY impressive. Since it got quite warm this past week I had a chance to begin cleanup. If you lower the nozzle on the LW HPV all the way down, it actually sticks to the friggin' ground and causes the engine to rev up like a shop vac would if stuck to the floor!

Needless to say, it sucks up a MAJORITY of the acorns, twigs, washed out mulch, etc. Easily saving hours of time. I'm a convert. 'nuff said.

Between that and a push blower, you'd have a killer combo.:cool2:

Guinness56
08-17-2010, 11:36 PM
So, FYI, acorns have been falling here in NJ for about 5 weeks now ALREADY! Have used the HPV 3times already. It literally picks up 99% of them. Can't say enough good things about it. It loses suction when the bag fills up with leaves, etc. so you need to dump it a little earlier if you're goal is nuts and acorns. When lowered all the way, the nozzle literally sticks to the ground like a shop vac to a garage floor...

Joe

a12
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnartists
09-09-2010, 02:50 AM
I went to a rental store to look at a track loader and was talking with the owner as we were walking around his showroom and he had a broom that was designed to pickup acorns. I have never tried the machine and can't seem to find a picture for you on google. I will keep looking for a picture. It basically had rubber bristles on a shaft that would rotate. They were spaced out just right to pick up the acorn. When it came around to a certain point it would fall into a tray.

lawnartists
09-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Ah! I found it on the rental company's page. It's called the "Nut Harvester" lol... Here's a picture and the link to page.
http://www.mperental.com/show+equipment+rental.php?cid=16&eid=186http://www.mperental.com/images/fullsize/186_20090304130049_baganut.jpg

RDA
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Ah! I found it on the rental company's page. It's called the "Nut Harvester" lol... Here's a picture and the link to page.
http://www.mperental.com/show+equipment+rental.php?cid=16&eid=186http://www.mperental.com/images/fullsize/186_20090304130049_baganut.jpg

I like how their 4 week rate is basically the same price as buying one... :)

Here is the company that makes them:
http://www.baganut.com/

Noted in this thread as well:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=320735

I have considered buying one but would rent one a day per year if that was an option locally.

Regards,

Rich