PDA

View Full Version : New to it all.

tropical breeze
09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I have been in the restaurant business for 20 yrs. I am ready for a change. I love the idea of weekends and nights off to be with my family. I just bought a trailer with racks and a rider mower 17.5 horse and a 42 inch cut with an extra mower for parts and the trailer has a diamond plate tool box on it. Got it all for $700.00 looking for weedeater and a blower now. Just got the business name today Tropical Breeze lawn care. I must say I am Excited about my new adventure. Any helpful hints To draw accounts fast ?

mowerbrad
09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Starting out is always the hardest part since you have literally no "name" for yourself out there and no customers yet to help draw up some business for you. You are going to have to do quite a bit to get business quickly. I suggest getting some lettering or magnetic signs on your truck and also some signs on your trailer. Also start putting some small ads in the newspaper (classifieds do okay and are rather cheap). Go to staples or any print center and get some black and white flyers printed out on colored paper, then pass those flyers out in the areas you would like to get into. That should get your name out in the area and get you some business. Just keep getting your name out there and do good work and you will be doing well.

g21
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the industry! This might sound a little corny but I'm telling you it works! Sit down at a table with a pad & pen and make two collumns. One side, write down every one of your family members in the area. Even write down family members out of the area that might know or have other family members (in-laws) in your area. Not only do you write the actual family member, but their spouse, their brothers and sisters, etc.

Then in the other collumn, write down everyone else you know. Friends, co-workers, ex-co-workers, friends of friends, ex-girlfriends...I mean everyone! Then call everyone on that list starting with the family side. Ask for the work! Ask if they can refer you to someone. Their house, place of business, their church!

You will be amazed at not only how long the list will be, but how easy it is to get help from friends and family. But remember...don't just throw your name out there and say, "let me know if there is anything I can do for you." ASK FOR THE WORK!

Go get'm and good luck!

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Tommy

tropical breeze
10-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Guys Thanks I am pumped. I do have a question maybe you could help. I live in FL. and there are alot of empty homes and the grass is like a jungle. How do I find out what bank ownes the home to try to get that deal done?

g21
10-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Be careful with those. I have a friend that is doing that now and it's a nightmare. Every time he cuts he litterally has to send in 20 digital pix with each invoice. He's not doing it anymore. He said it's too much trouble for the 20 bucks a cut they want to pay.

tropical breeze
10-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks For the info someone else said the same thing. I talked to 3 people today and all 3 want me to do there lawns starting next week. They will be my first 3 accounts. How cool is that !!! I am going to do a flyer for people that live next to me as a neighborhood special my goal here is to pick up 10 accounts next to my house. Hopefully I will be able to do this full time soon.

DJJS
10-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Guys Thanks I am pumped. I do have a question maybe you could help. I live in FL. and there are alot of empty homes and the grass is like a jungle. How do I find out what bank ownes the home to try to get that deal done?

going thru the real estate companies worked for me, it sounds corny but all i did was pick a few local real estate offices that i knew did a lot of business in the general area, printed up a flyer with a list of property management services (weekly lawn & landscape maintenance, shrub pruning etc) stopped in dunkin donuts got a box for the office taped a one copy of the flyer to the top and a business card, went into the office introduce myself to whoever was there i could, gave them each a card and whoever was in charge another copy of the flyer and it worked great for me, i did this with 4 real estate offices and got calls from 2 of them 2 years later i still work with both

if your going to try it though make sure you introduce yourself to them and leave a card or something on whatever it is you bring them, people have the tendency to just throw things away but if its taped on the top of the box they see it the rest of the day

as for other customers, print up flyers, put an ad in the newspaper and just get your cards out there. once you get a handful of customers you'll be suprised how quickly your business will grow