PDA

View Full Version : Electric clutch overheating. Bobcat ZTR

HenryB
09-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Any idea what would cause my electric clutch to be overheating? It still works but I can see plastic melting where the wire harness connects to the clutch help.:confused:

Restrorob
09-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Could be a bad connection where it plugs into the harness/ A bearing in the clutch starting to fail or it's in need of adjustment, Being out of adjustment could cause it to draw more amps to stay engaged thus cause over-heating.

Check THIS (http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1463590&postcount=2) post out.

pugs
09-25-2009, 01:41 AM
Wouldnt be out of adjustment as they have allways used Warner clutches to my knowledge that require no adjustment.

Check for loose connections. Check the fuses, make sure they are the proper sizes. If you already see melting its probably too late and the clutch wont last much longer.

Remosid
09-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Could be a bad connection where it plugs into the harness/ A bearing in the clutch starting to fail or it's in need of adjustment, Being out of adjustment could cause it to draw more amps to stay engaged thus cause over-heating.

Check THIS (http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=1463590&postcount=2) post out.

thats bad info. A magnet is energized to engage the clutch. Current draw is the same regardless of adjustment.

demhustler
09-27-2009, 08:52 PM
when it's old (worn)- it's overheats and shuts
when it s new - it shouldn't ...

btw. it shouldn't make clunking noise when it's not old, though some do ...

ricky86
09-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Take a ohm reading. Should be 2.5-4.0 ohms @ room temp. Any more or less you will need a clutch very soon. Along with R/R suggestions, melting connections and wires mean something is going wrong with the field (electromagnet). Meaning a possible excessive amperage draw.

fixer67
09-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Check your voltage. I had a voltage regulator mess up and not only did it over charge the battery and burn it up but fried the PTO clutch as well.