PDA

View Full Version : what kind of weeds are and how to kill

cpt87gn
09-24-2009, 11:39 PM
hi im new to this buisness theres a lot of newer homes 1 to 3 yrs old in my subdivision and a lot of them are not kept up im cutting lawns and would like to offer to help them get rid of the weeds for them but i dont know what to use and were to get it from other then homedepot or lowes thank you

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Why would people leave tufts of grassy weeds standing like that, it looks ridiculous....

Just pull the stuff out, can you get the roots out with the stems?
Else could wipe the leaves with gly, be careful not to damage the turf below.

VARMIT COMMISSION
09-25-2009, 08:48 AM
It looks like Johnson Grass to me.

ted putnam
09-25-2009, 11:30 AM
It looks like Johnson Grass to me.

I was thinking the same thing...Johnsongrass. I also think wicking it would be the best method ( Digging some of it wouldn't be a bad idea either). There are no good selective controls.

cpt87gn
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
whats wicking it

david shumaker
09-25-2009, 10:57 PM
It looks like they need a new lawn to me. You might need to kill the whole yard and start it over.

ted putnam
09-26-2009, 12:22 AM
whats wicking it

Usually I dribble Round Up right on the johnsongrass and "spot" it. But usually I don't run into huge patches of it that don't look like they've been mowed in weeks...like I see in your pics. Wicking is having some sort of wick or sponge that soaks up the Round Up. You then take this wick soaked with the material and rub just the plant you want to kill. In your case johnsongrass. In all seriousness I'd mix the round up in a bucket and use a sponge mop that can be rung out. A cheap one would do. You could take care of it pretty quick and not do a lit of bending over. JMO

If you don't, you should have a license for this. There appears to be some good bermuda that will spread over any thin areas left. No need in killing the entire lawn and starting over

trustworth
09-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Johnson grass, and spot spray with round up.

If you pull it up there is a large possibility that you wont get all of the root and it will come back.

txgrassguy
09-28-2009, 09:42 AM
There are a bunch of things you can do, some require either a TDA or SPCB license - others don't.
From your comments in your posts if (which is a big IF) you have a valid license you need to get your money back from WalMart or from whomever sold you the license in the first place.