PDA

View Full Version : Unit plant pricing good or bad?

GrazerZ
09-25-2009, 07:27 AM
First of all this is not a "how much to charge " question. Rather I have priced jobs a variety of methods over the years, but have never considered per unit pricing until recently. It came up when I was designing a job with land designer and found a feature that allows you to quickly estimate the price for installation based on the imputed price of the plant with labor and associated materials attached. My issue with this is, while i like the sounds of it, it requires a far amount of data input into the program to make it all work right. Is it worth it?
Have any of you found this method of per unit pricing to be worth use. Right now, we take the wholesale cost of the material and mark it up to make profit and cover warranty. We line item the prep work and planting labor as well as any other items necessary. The problem I have with this method is that it does not give you an accurate breakout of a "phase" for example. Because all the labor is lumped together. Does this make any sense? Your thoughts are appreciated.