PDA

View Full Version : good time to seed this weekend?

1999frontier
09-25-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm planning on aerating tomorrow morning and getting tall fescue(confederate) today or tomorrow morning and broadcasting it. Its supposed to rain all weekend. Is this a good time to seed? Will it be too much rain at one time? Its a 60-80% chance all weekend(but you know how that goes). My yard is flat so I wouldn't think it would run off but didn't know if its too much rain for seeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpa4t9r
09-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I think you should be fine - it will help with the plugging for sure. Don't think its supposed to pour plus you already are aware about runoff. You wait too much longer and you run the risk of not being warm enough to germinate and get good and established before winter.

Make sure you mow (if you haven't already) - with everything wet, the seed/fert is going to stick to everything so you may want to go short or probably better option would be to plug, seed ~3/4 rate, plug again/roll, and then put the rest of the seed out to cover any areas you may have tracked because its wet. Your shoes/boots will love the plugs too......

Definitely consider renting a slit seeder (+++1 Turf Revitalizer) next go round and you'll get guaranteed contact and much more consistent coverage and higher germination rates.

Smallaxe
09-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you guys have clay down there?

When is your "Winter"?

Here... we try to establish Fescue and KBG b4 winter and we may have a little more time. I use Creeping Red Fescue, but... how does that compare to the stuff you plant, as fescue?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Seems a good time to seed - right before a gentle rain. I would stress gentle, if it is suppost to pour kitties and doggies it might wash your seeding around a bit unless you plan to slit seed and topdress.....