PDA

View Full Version : Whitacre Clay Paver Vs. Pavelock Holland

White Gardens
09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
So my customer isn't sold either way and that is holding up the start of the project.

I told her I would get some real-world info from some of the more dedicated hardscapers on lawn site to get some real world info. I can get info from the dealers but generally their opinions are geared towards their product.

I want to go with the Whitacre cobbled clay paver. I think that would be the best choice as the property has some history, and would look rustic and authentic. The problem lies with the HO. They are concerned that the clay paver won't hold up as well as it is clay compared to a concrete paver. My thinking is that you'll get better natural movement out of the clay paver verses the concrete paver.

Now, the pave-lock Holland paver is concrete, and when you hold it in your hand it definitively feels more durable compared to the clay paver. My concern is that the holland paver won't look nearly as good, and, they will at the minimum need an acid wash in the spring to remove the efflorescence that will come to the surface of the paver. (the lime in the concrete). Then, possibly a sealer to get the color to come out correctly.

So, I need to meet with them tomorrow morning. Sell me one direction or another if you guys can so I'm armed with some real world knowledge. I have pics in my thread of the property, and I will post a link to them if you guys want.

The clay pavers are more expensive, but, money isn't necessarily the issue, but is taken in consideration.

Thanks for all the help,

N. White

White Gardens
09-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Just a little update, On the Whitacre site, their average PSI per paver runs around 10,000 psi.

The pavelock paver is comparable if not a little stronger. I just don't feel the psi difference is a major factor though.

Bru75
09-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Clay pavers look so much better than concrete when used at an older property, I would definitely try to convince them to use clay.
My guess is that the HO has seen really old walkways made of really old bricks that were never meant to be in the ground and are disintegrating.