PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible???

patriotlawn375
09-25-2009, 04:20 PM
So i had my engine go out on my walker, surprise, and i am torn between replacing it with a new 20hp Kohler or if it's possible, a diesel.

Just wondering if this is even possible with out having to change out everything? has anyone ever done this before?

It originally had the 20hp Koh.

What do you think? If it is possible, what would it entail?

Thnks

ericg
09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Patriot, sorry to heat that your 20hp kohler bit the dust. I believe that the 20hp is air cooled vs the diesel being water cooled so there is a radiator and all of the hoses, brackets, muffler etc that would have to be purchased. In addition, I believe that the pto box would have to be changed out or yours reconfigured as the diesel rotates opposite the rotation of the Kohler. All in all, its doable but in my opinion, not worth the dollars for the additional pieces required to make it work. You might be better off selling your machine and purchasing a used diesel machine. We have been getting six to seven thousand hours out of the Kohlers on our Walkers with very little parts failure.

Eric

patriotlawn375
09-26-2009, 12:00 AM
E- Thanks for the info. I did a search and was reading where you and some others were speaking to how many hours they average for the life span. That's what got me thinking about the possible conversion. with everything else being strong i though it might be something to check on if it was possible. But like you said after converting everything to equip the diesel engine would end up costing WAY more than just purchasing a new motor.

P&C Lawn Care
09-26-2009, 01:05 AM
How many hours was on this engine? You said the engine went out, can the block not be rebuilt? I think a 23 or 26 kohler can be swappped for the 20 with little problems.

ericg
09-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Patriot, as David pointed out, this could be an opportunity to bump up the hp on your machine and be back in business without too much hassle. The problem with a Walker is that the Kohlers are very specific and that is why they cost so much more than a off the shelf engine that may have many different applications. I believe that the key to long engine life is blowing down the engine twice a day with a back pack blower, changing the air filter on a regular basis and changing the oil and filter every week. We don't have access to any special Walkers, we just keep up on the maintenance and we consistently get thousands of trouble free hours.

Eric

patriotlawn375
09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
The engine had approx 2300 hrs on it when it went out last week. i have talked to a couple of different shops about the engine. The smaller ones just mentioned replacing the engine, i suspect hey don't want to mess with it or can't, and one of the larger Kohler specific machine shops said they'd be able to rebuild it, including boring it out and replacing all the rings and seals, for anywhere from $900-1200. On the high side if it was to run me 1200 to have it rebuilt, why not spend the extra $300-400 and just buy a new engine with a warranty?

Also cost is an issue for me. Another mech. mentioned short blocking it, which i assume entails just replacing the block it's self and then they use the old valves and all, is that about right? Since i bought this thing i have tried to be meticulous with the maintenance but the previous owner just let the **** go so now i'm kinda stuck dealing with it.

patriotlawn375
09-26-2009, 09:25 AM
E- about how many hours are you getting out of your walkers with out having to do any major work on them?

Also what engines do you run?

ericg
09-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Patriot, we run the gamut of Kohlers in our eight Walkers. We have 20hp, 25hp and the latest 23hp units. The 25hp are water cooled and after all is said and done, I would not spend the extra money on them when replacing machines in the future. I don't see much difference in water cooled vs air cooled when it comes to total reliability. Again, we routinely get five to six thousand hours out of our engines with no real troubles. The water cooled units have the water pump and belt changed at 2k to 3k hours as well as the thermostat. We were one of the first to get the water cooled Ageis when they came out. There were problem with the radiators cracking at the welds etc which was a pain. We spoke to Walker and we utilized the heavier diesel radiator in the gasoline engine setup which cured our issues. I love the Walkers and I know that some people don't feel the same way as they are very labor intensive as far as maintenance is concerned but in the end, they are great machines that last a long time.

patriotlawn375
09-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you see any real benefit jumping up to a 23 from the 20? I understand the increase in HP but how about fuel consumption on each? I think i would prefer to stay away from the liquids and the efi's. crazy that the 26efi engine cost roughly the same as a chevy big block

ericg
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Patriot, I don't know that there could be that much difference in fuel usage between the 20hp and 23hp. We don't see a significant difference so I would suggest going with a replacement 20hp and be back mowing again.

Eric