PDA

View Full Version : "got slugs in my yard"

americanlawn
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
A customer sent us an email today:

"I have noticed that we have quite a few slugs present in the yard and was wondering if you have any service available that might help control them. Please let me know." (West Des Moines, IA)

I never heard of this type of request before. Any comments? Thanks.

p.s. Humorous replies are most welcome. (BTW Rodney says none of his guys are working in that area) :laugh:

turf hokie
09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
YOU never got this request before? We get it 2-3 times a year.

I tell them just to put out a bowl of beer on Friday night. They drink but get tipsy and fall in......cant get back out.

Dont know if it actually works, but it is fun watching their face.

phasthound
09-25-2009, 07:36 PM
A customer sent us an email today:

"I have noticed that we have quite a few slugs present in the yard and was wondering if you have any service available that might help control them. Please let me know." (West Des Moines, IA)

I never heard of this type of request before. Any comments? Thanks.

p.s. Humorous replies are most welcome. (BTW Rodney says none of his guys are working in that area) :laugh:

Hey, no fair poking fun at Rodney! :)

KDLAWN
09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
salt does a great job on killing the slugs..lol..lol.. just broadcast salt all over the yard. lol I'm sure that will make the yard look great too..lol.lol

rm25x
09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I noticed I have some this year as well in my yard. Never seen them before in the yards.

RigglePLC
09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Drink the beer. Go with Ortho snail and slug bait (containing sevin).

bx24
09-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Funny, I do nothing and all is fine.

grassman177
09-26-2009, 08:22 AM
they only hurt certain landscape plants such as hosta, no lawn damages so unless they are causing damage to landscape i would decline doing anything , but tha is me

KDLAWN
09-26-2009, 10:23 AM
do slugs eat on lambs ear...(the plant)

atouchofnature
09-26-2009, 05:39 PM
YOU never got this request before? We get it 2-3 times a year.

I tell them just to put out a bowl of beer on Friday night. They drink but get tipsy and fall in......cant get back out.

Dont know if it actually works, but it is fun watching their face.

The beer definitely works, and is by far the best, and least toxic method I have ever tried. Have them place saucers of beer scattered around the landscaped areas, one saucer every 15 feet or so. Go out the next morning and clean up the dead slugs. Do this every night until you start finding empty saucers.

The gas in beer that makes you burp will rupture the slugs internally, since they don't have the ability to burp. The barley & yeast attract them to it.

americanlawn
09-26-2009, 06:05 PM
That makes it easy -- I only have to walk 15 feet for my next beer. :laugh:

I sprayed this new customer's lawn today (liquid weed & feed). It was new sod (crappy clay soil) this spring, but it was full of dandelions, clover, curly dock, smartweed, foxtail, crabgrass, and barnyardgrass. Didn't see any kind of "slug" damage whatsoever. Actually, the lawn was brown (drought stress)... hardly the favorite home for a "slug". :laugh: I'm guessing the Mrs saw some slugs in her ornamental beds. Guess it's time to return their email saying "Don't worry about slugs, cuz they ain't the prob". Something new everyday. :confused:

greendoctor
09-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Because I treat more than the lawn, lots of the other posts would be funny if taking that attitude would not cost me the account. I prefer a slug and snail bait called Metarex. It is an orange extruded granule. A pound treats up to 1000 sq ft and lasts up to a month. It even lasts in areas that are irrigated, which tend to have the worst problem with slugs.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-28-2009, 12:54 AM
This thread is ironic....
It has been pretty dry here all season for the most part - but yet the slugs were more plentiful in my lawn/landscape than I can remember. Those suns of a guns proceeded to tear down most of my marigolds before I started treating for them. They make hosta look like swiss cheese too. It is fun to go out after dark and pick them off of the leaves and squish them:)

americanlawn
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
DA Quality & I share the same values (also known as "Midwestern ethic"). Sure, I could charge customers "XX dollars every month" to spread a light coverage of bait around their house, but most folks here see this as expensive (ripoff) -- especially if they can easily do it themselves and save BIG money. (Kinda like having some Roundup in the garage if they see weeds in non-turf areas). Sure -- we offer it, but we also explain what it involves.

I talked to the homeowner this morning explaining his options: "slug bait" (metaldehyde + maybe some Sevin, etc). We could apply it or else he could. He said he would rather keep the stuff on hand and apply it as needed. So it pays to be honest and offer options to customers. This keeps cancellation rates down, adds to happy customers, increases referrals, and creates TRUST.

We too treat "more than just the lawn". From tall trees to ground cover, etc, etc. Even pest control for "inside the house".

What did you mean by "taking that attitude"? :confused:

Because I treat more than the lawn, lots of the other posts would be funny if taking that attitude would not cost me the account. I prefer a slug and snail bait called Metarex. It is an orange extruded granule. A pound treats up to 1000 sq ft and lasts up to a month. It even lasts in areas that are irrigated, which tend to have the worst problem with slugs.