PDA

View Full Version : Weed/Grass ID HELP

Kylec3
09-25-2009, 08:17 PM
What kind of grass is this? some kind of warm season grass??? anything to get rid of it in our tall fescue / bluegrass lawns?

it looks so bad this time of the year and its in some of our nicer lawns....the lawn will look really good, then we cut it and different areas are brown cuz this grass is now exposed ...its not too noticable most of the season unless you are standing on the lawn but now that the temps are cooling down its very noticable....it spreads every year....grows in full sun and slight shade

Kylec3
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
sorrry...the pictures arent too goood....

RigglePLC
09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
looks like bentgrass to me.

hughmcjr
09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
It does look like Bent and we have it on virtually every lawn here in Oregon. The problem with Bent is as it gets warmer and it isn't cut at the right height, an inch or less, mowed several times a week, fertilized monthly and watered everyday, you get what is called False Crowning. Instead of cutting the blade which would be at an inch or so, you are cutting the stem so it gives that brown, ragged appearance. Imagine a whole lawn like that, which most of my customers are and we cannot mow at an inch, several times a week, water, fert etc. If you took that clump and folded it to where you were just cutting the blades and not the stem you wouldn't get false crowning. You might be able to inhibit the growth of it a bit with Dimension or other kinds of Pre m that Bent doesn't like too well, but the best bet since it is a creeping grass is to use glyphosate, and hope you get it all. FOrget about manual controls even if you tried to put a new lawn in those creepers would return.

hughmcjr
09-25-2009, 11:33 PM
From back in the day from this forum:

"Wow, here's an old thread for yall. I still am working twords figuring it out. Many of you were right. I still wonder some things, but atleast i know i am narrowing in on it. It does appear to be only affecting the bent grass. It has never really had a problem before last year, so i am still led to believe it to be a fungus attackin only the bent grasses. The other solution put forth to me by WSU (Washington State University) is that it is not a disease at all, but merely "false crowning." This is what was sent to me.
"From the pictures, I do not think this is a fungal disease. This looks like a fairly common occurrence that is usually called "false crowning". It is common in lawns where bentgrass is mowed taller than it should be. It generally shows up the most in ryegrass lawns where bent has invaded as a weedy species. When the bentgrass is mowed too high, the crown of the plant (the main growing point) gradually becomes elevated in the plant canopy, instead of staying at the soil surface where it belongs. This results in abnormal growth patterns in the grass (such as the "witch's broom" appearance), and also scalping during mowing, which leads to the yellow and/or straw brown color."

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=236271&postcount=15