PDA

View Full Version : Kaw fh500v not pumping fuel

roket77
09-25-2009, 08:48 PM
i have a great dane chariot jr with kaw fh500v that is not pumping fuel. I replaced filter, pump have clear gas line etc. It seems i am not getting any suction or pressure on hose that goes to valve cover. It started 2 days ago and i thought it was coil by the way it was running,,it was running fine until it gets warm(thats why i thought it was coil),,it has had small leak on top crank seal(oil coming from under flywheel),,i cleaned oil off heads to see if head gasket was damaged. cant tell. there was a brief moment when i saw gas filter fill with gas but that was short lived. what could be causing lack of pressure that draws gas for pumping action. i know the theory on how pump works. by the way,,i changed coil because it sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder,, could bad head gasket cause lack of vacuum on nipple of valve cover that goes to fuel pump. Thanks for all help. its driving me NUTS

MowerMedic77
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
it has had small leak on top crank seal(oil coming from under flywheel)

You need to check this first before spending too much time doing anything else. We have had a lot of these engines with top journal failures(means your engine is toast!) and others with just bad top crank seals and leaking breather gaskets. The fuel pump works off of crank case vacuum so as the piston draws back and forth in the cylinder it creates a pulse on the diaphragm inside the pump. Everyplace that you loose crank case vacuum (pushed crank seal, leaking gasket) will create less fuel to your carb.

roket77
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Thank you for reply. So you are saying check top crank seal? How do i check the journal? Thank you again. If engine is toast, what engine should i get to replace the fh 500v? Isnt harness,etc specific to the engine on there now? This engine was a short block i bought in 2005. I swapped carb,starter,heads etc. Fh 500v is no longer available now.

Restrorob
09-25-2009, 10:38 PM
How do i check the journal?

Remove the flywheel cover, Leave the flywheel in place and use two large screwdrivers or pry bars. Place one on each side of the flywheel facing straight up and try rocking the flywheel side to side, Any noticeable movement and the journal is worn and will only beat a new seal out.

You can contact Kawasaki directly for a replacement engine model number but have your old engine model/spec and serial number handy.

Engine/Power Products – 949-460-5687
Hours: 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. (ET)
Monday through Friday

mowerknower
09-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Might be the top seal but you might want to do a little more diagnostics. Just becuase the fuel filter is not full of fuel doesnt mean it is not pumping fuel!!!! Since the top seal is leaking and you had to clean cooling fins you might want to check and make sure your valve guides didnt come loose. BTW for my own notes here, are you using an after market oil filter or an oem one? Im trying to keep stats on top seal failures so any info would be great.

roket77
09-26-2009, 10:32 AM
thank you. I will try these ideas and let you know the outcome. I am using a fram oil filter. I believe its the tough gaurd series.(Heavy duty)