PDA

View Full Version : weeds in Flower Beds

KDLAWN
09-25-2009, 08:46 PM
what do you guys use to to keep the weeds out of flowerbeds?

do you guys have a program for this or just use roundup?

thanks

chaser2587
09-25-2009, 08:49 PM
what do you guys use to to keep the weeds out of flowerbeds?

do you guys have a program for this or just use roundup?

thanks

Roundup works just fine.

chaser2587
09-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Be sure to spray in the morning or when the wind is calm. It could hurt plants you want to keep.

93Chevy
09-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I prefer Quick Pro over traditional roundup, as I can see the results faster. And sometimes you just have to get on your hands and knees.

Florida Gardener
09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
PRE-EMERGENT. I just used Snapshot at one of my customer's houses that is having tons of broadleafs and torpedo grass. I just put it down about a week ago and am monitoring the results. Anything that pops up or that emerged before i put it down just gets spot-sprayed. If you have beds with newly planted plants that haven't grown much yet but are still kind of close to each other, roundup will be difficult. The only thing Snapshot doesn't control is sedges, but i'm not having a hard time with those....

david shumaker
09-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I spray on a regular basis as the weeds pop up and are small. If plants are close together, I spray up close so as not to injure plants. I only provide this service for the customers that are willing to pay extra. If you stay on top of the weeds, the beds will stay nice looking with few weeds.

I have some customers that are always complaining about their beds, but don't want to pay extra or do the work themselves...so let them complain.

As stated above, start off in the early Spring with a Pre-Emergent and then spot spray during the season and there won't be alot of big weeds to pull out.

Florida Gardener
09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
^david, that is one thing i need to start doing. I spray every 2-3 weeks, but by the 3rd week, the weeds are "bigger." Not out of control, but another week and they would need to be hand pulled. I need to be spraying every 1-2weeks instead, mainly in the summer time. Winter time things grow slow down here, even the weeds.

KDLAWN
09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
thanks guys, keep the answers comming . I use roundup just didnt know if there was something out there that would get me a longer kill time.

I thought about premergent too. I just see all these beds out there mostly large comercial properties that appear to have no weeds in there and just wondering what the secret was..

when do you apply snapshot, now or in the winter, or spring??

Florida Gardener
09-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I would say year round as you will get different weeds in the summer and winter. My guy at Lesco didn't tell me that it wouldn't work now(I applied it about a week ago or so). It covers a lot of broadleaf and grassy weeds(over 100 types).

There is this "common landscaping area" outside my neighborhood and the beds are practically flawless. I see the LCO who maintains it spot spray every now and then, but they def. have to be using a pre-emergent as it is about 1.4 long. There is no way they are getting those results just spraying roundup.