PDA

View Full Version : What to charge for application

Baldwinslawnservice
09-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I am new to the fetilizer and pesticide application aspect of this business and I need a little help on application pricing. I am using Momentum herbicide and lesco fertilizer, so my material cost is about 16.50 per bag of fertilizer and 140.00 for 2.5 gallons of herbicide. Now I just need to know how much to charge for application and mark-up on chemicals. Keep in mind I am located in a rural area in southern ohio, so I can't charge the big city rates. thanks!:usflag:

foreplease
09-26-2009, 10:56 PM
See my lengthy post (#2) here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3047661) and post # 14 here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=269165&page=2) for my thoughts on it. Everyone has a different approach and their own needs.

I hope I did the links right. Good luck to you.

RigglePLC
09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Take a business course and learn this on your own.However. Most companies charge a base fee to cover their overhead, plus the cost to arrive at the site. Then they add a cost per each thousand sqft to cover cost of the chemicals and cost of the labor time required to apply. Add a few percent profit to each. I have heard TruGreen charges 22 base fee and 6 dollars per thousand sqft.

Baldwinslawnservice
09-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Take a business course and learn this on your own.However. Most companies charge a base fee to cover their overhead, plus the cost to arrive at the site. Then they add a cost per each thousand sqft to cover cost of the chemicals and cost of the labor time required to apply. Add a few percent profit to each. I have heard TruGreen charges 22 base fee and 6 dollars per thousand sqft.

Sorry I don't have time to take a business class....... Trying to start out in business is very tough these days and I work almost all the time. Therfore the only school I go to is the " school of hard knocks", and I depend on other more experienced people in this business to lead me in the right direction. What I'm trying to figure is an average rate I may wish to charge per 1,000 sq ft. or, for larger areas maybe per acre. I would like to be able to price most application jobs this way so that when someone calls I can give a rough estimate over the phone based on approx. area. The reason I ask this is that I received a call today about a 30,000 sq ft yard, and the customer wanted a rough Idea on the price to apply dry fertilizer and liquid herbicide until I was able to come measure and give an accurate estimate. And so far I have basically been doing work for "whatever I think I can do it for". So now I want to baseline my work so that every customer gets about the same value per area, pending extra trim work and other variables that may come into play. I want to be competive, but not cheap. Thanks so much in advance!:usflag:

VARMIT COMMISSION
09-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Ditch the expensive Momentum herbicide for some 3-way product costing less than half of what your spending now on Momentum. Then shop around and find your fertilizer cheaper. Around here Lesco J/D is way over priced on fertilizer. JMHO

Josh.S
09-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Ditch the expensive Momentum herbicide for some 3-way product costing less than half of what your spending now on Momentum. Then shop around and find your fertilizer cheaper. Around here Lesco J/D is way over priced on fertilizer. JMHO

+1

You should be able to get fert around $13.50 per bag for a 30% N and 50% slow. Also you can get 3 way for under $20 per gallon right now.. even if you are buying by cases through CPS. (If you would like their contact information, PM me, they are a national company)

As for pricing, your best bet might to just call TGCL and other local companies to get estimates in for your own house (or customers house, ect). This will let you know what the rates are in your market. Although you should figure out your own price based on your break even point and desired profit, the market price might be get you by for now.

$.02