PDA

View Full Version : remove Mulch

kbcjlc
05-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Customer wants to remove mulch and change to rocks around the house. Customer complained about the bugs and think Mulch is the cause. But I told that I am not sure if rocks are a good idea since she have alot of plants and flowers and if putting rocks, the sun will take up more water?

Just need yout thought. I guess call pest control is the best way to control .

Keith

roscioli
05-03-2002, 11:50 PM
The mulch shouldnt be the problem unless you are getting some really terrible mulch, but you could always try to put some bug killer under the mulch next time you apply it, or even just rake a little spot up, and do it. Rocks tend to hold heat rather than keep it away like mulch does.. I think. Correct me if i am wrong guys. I think she will have more problems with the rocks and heat than with mulch and bugs..

Propdoc
05-04-2002, 12:38 AM
I really try to convince customers to stay away from rocks because I feel that they dry out the soil (hold way too much heat), don't do a very good job at keeping out weeds, and are dangerous since they could be inadvertantly thrown by equipment.

Hillsman
05-04-2002, 12:09 PM
I completely agree with everyone on this panel. As decorative as they maybe, in the long run they cause more problems. And if the client later on wants to re mulch the bed, it is not fun trying to remove all those stones. The point about rocks being thrown from equipent is a valid one.

heygrassman
05-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Yea.. i think I just got a bad batch of mulch from my local supplier. I have never had black ants before, but I do after I remulched my front beds. I am having to treat the ants. I am more comfortable with the mulch as a weed barrier than rocks. I hate weeding......

Adam McCoy
05-07-2002, 09:12 PM
I, too have the same problem. I have a client who wants me to remove the old red mulch and wants red lava rocks instead. Her reasoning is that "several people have told me that mulch is bad for siding houses". I dont know if that is a valid point, but she just doesnt want anything to happen in the long run. I explained to her that it would be alot more expensive because with mulch, borders are optional, with rocks, its a must. Also by remulching, it would be a simple "top dress" and not removing everthing and starting from scratch, in addition, mulch is much cheaper than rocks. Does anyone know how much $$$ in red lava rocks it would take for a normal 2-3 yard mulch job? I already have a border picked out.
Also, I just did a job of removing pine bark nuggets and laying down black mulch. You guys have NO idea how many termites were in that stuff. It was unreal!!! Im never putting that stuff down.

heygrassman
05-07-2002, 10:37 PM
You guys have NO idea how many termites were in that stuff. It was unreal!!! Im never putting that stuff down.

Sounds like the supplier (or home) and not the mulch.

prairie
05-09-2002, 09:56 AM
It sounds like your supplier needs to give you an appology for the bad mulch and give you some TREATED mulch to you for free. Maybe even pay you to spray the mulch for the bugs aswell. You do have recoarse agianst him. $ for spraying and more free mulch would be the best bet.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
05-09-2002, 04:07 PM
The stone mulch or decorative stone because it does hold heat from the sun its gets extremely hot and can burn the roots and damage the plants... If there are no plants or flowers in the bed , it can be a nice element , or with plants like cactus , etc... But most plants cannot handle that extra heat....

You should try a better mulch , such as a hemlock or cedar, more expensive , but less susceptable to rotting and insects ?

Kevin M.
05-22-2002, 08:36 PM
I own a wood recycling yard and we deal with the bug and mulch issue every day. The bugs dont come from the mulch if it is composted correctly. The bugs wouldnt live in the heat of the mulch piles plus think of this one : wouldnt a bug rather eat a big living tree than a little tiny piece of mulch !!!!

AGLA
05-22-2002, 09:26 PM
I agree with Kevin about well composted mulch. There is a lot of new business in grinding old wood, spraying it red, and calling it mulch. I have seen plenty of that which has not been composted.
As for bugs choosing a healthy tree over dead wood - it depends on the bug.
When I think mulch, I think bark. I don't think wood, but that is me. To me - mulch is organic material that controls weeds, controls evaporation, controls heat, and breaks down into the soil. That also leaves out stone under that definition.
Stone can be a nice surface to a bed, although I agree about the problems raised about it.