PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk hunting clothing for winter/november deer

grass disaster
09-26-2009, 09:26 PM
ok so i've been wearing the same old camo military jacket that my dad gave me for years.

i'm looking at buying something new. maybe just start with the jacket for now.

we go hunting in wyoming every year in november. we've experienced weather that ranges anywhere form 70 to -20.

my buddy just bought a gortex jacket and bibs. i told him he should look into the wool. he tried the two on and he liked the regular jacket from the get go. he said the wool doesnt feel warm. i told him he would be very surprised that the wool will be better than the "down" type jacket.

my dad wears a wool suit that he's had for like 10 years. he paid a ton of money for it back then but it's really nice and he swears by it.

i was looking at the cabelas line of wool with the weather guard under it and i'm thinking if i were to get a good base layer with the wool it would be warmer and i could remain more mobile.

lawns Etc
09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
I would get a scent lock type base layer that you can wear by itself in warm weather or under your heavy clothes in the cold. I prefer coveralls for my outer layer when its cold. Cabelas stuff is top quality and their return policy is great as well you cant go wrong with them.

grass disaster
09-27-2009, 10:29 AM
this is what i'm thinking of getting: cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?type=product&id=0070089960618a&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=cabelas%20wool%20jacket%20review&cm_ite=netcon

how would this compare to this http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/

this is the stuff my dad has. if you look at some of the prices it's very high prices

AI Inc
09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Cold weather I like carhartts camo bibs lined

IntegrityGuy
09-27-2009, 09:23 PM
wow for that price i would get some nice cent lock bibs and jacket that are gortex so you dont get wet. That seems pricer for plain old whool

Junior M
09-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Cold weather I like carhartts camo bibs lined
I wear a set of old insulated Carhartt overalls and some camo jacket I found on sale at Sportsmans warehouse..

Havent been cold yet.. :cool2:

txgrassguy
09-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Down here in C. Texas I hunt in camo shorts and a long sleeved T-shirt.
Out of the last eight years I needed my carhart camo bibs exactly twice until the sun came up - then all was okie dokie.
You do learn to field dress pretty quickly, and not because it's hot.
You have to field dress the deer quick due to the fire ants and feral hogs/dogs/coyotes that come around.

lawns Etc
09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
He is in Minnesota it gets cold there.

ALLPro Landscaping
09-27-2009, 11:39 PM
I got cabelas mossy oak bibs and matching coat, not scent lock, wish it was, but its great has a removable insulated layer. love it, love cabelas

grass disaster
09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
i'm just really impressed with the wool.

93Chevy
09-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Two words: Wind Shear.

Awesome technology. No matter what you get, make sure at least one layer has Wind Shear. I can hold my arm out my truck window doing 75 and not feel anything. Really helps keeps the cold out.

grass disaster
09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Two words: Wind Shear.

Awesome technology. No matter what you get, make sure at least one layer has Wind Shear. I can hold my arm out my truck window doing 75 and not feel anything. Really helps keeps the cold out.

i'm not sure i follow you. is wind shear a product or you talking about the wool?

93Chevy
09-28-2009, 10:31 PM
It's a lining Cabelas offers in some of their hunting apparel.

Kel Klip
09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Everything under armour is good but make sure its in Mossy Oak.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grandview
09-30-2009, 08:06 AM
I wear a set of old insulated Carhartt overalls and some camo jacket I found on sale at Sportsmans warehouse..

Havent been cold yet.. :cool2:

You are in South Carolina. Cold is what 50 degrees?

Grandview
09-30-2009, 08:09 AM
For stand hunting I would consider getting a heater suit. It is like a sleeping bag.

Junior M
09-30-2009, 08:16 AM
You are in South Carolina. Cold is what 50 degrees?
For one, it gets down to 15 or so everyonce in a while. But I do hunt in Ohio yearly..

cgaengineer
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
One word, Coveralls. Nothing keeps you warmer than a pair of coveralls.

Don Woods
09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Beagle Outdoor Wear www.beaglewear.com

Grandview
10-01-2009, 07:23 AM
I dress in layers. Nothing big and heavy. I start with performance wear like under armour, medium weight. If real cold a larger pair over those. Next a light shirt with a heavy sweat shirt. Next I have a camo sweater jacket plus a jacket liner. The outer layer is a light over sized jacket. The key is to have everything loose fitting. For my feet I have 800 gram insulated boots plus Artic shields if needed. I could go lighter on the boots with the shields. If your feet get cold a couple hand warmers in the Artic shields will keep them warm. A good hand muff make big gloves unnecessary. For my legs I wear insulated bibs. Coveralls are to bulky. Under Armour face shield is nice. I like the hinge. We are required to wear blaze orange so I have a orange cap and 2x orange vest. I also where a light orange shirt in my layers. So if I need to track or gut a deer and I take a couple layers off I still have orange. I hike in about 20 minutes to my stand. I pack in a couple of my layers, bibs, artic shields, sweater, liner, so I do not over heat on the way in. Last year I sat comfy all day in -10 to 15 degrees. I got out once to help my son gut his deer.