PDA

View Full Version : looking for a program to make estimating easier

turfrider1020
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
are there any computer programs that i can put in sq. footage and # of bushes to trim to help me do my estimates

Turf Logic
09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
good luck with that.

AGLA
09-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Just use a spreadsheet and plug in formulas.

I do that for all kinds of calculations that are far more complcated than.

Lite4
10-17-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a pretty thorough spreadsheet I created for this many years ago that works really well.

STRINGALATION
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Groundskeeper pro is great down load the demo and watch the magic

JimLewis
11-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't believe in magic formulas, simple bidding programs, etc. Bidding is already fairly simple if you have the experience. And if you don't no formula or program is going to help you. That's just going to lead you off track.

First of all, I am not even sure what you're looking for the program to do. You mentioned entering in sq. ft. and # of shrubs. Are you talking about bidding a property for weekly maintenance? If so, this probably should have been posted in the lawn care forum. But even then, how does some computer formula with the number of shrubs help? Some shrubs need to be pruned every month or two while others just need to be pruned once a year. No program is going to know that. You just have to know your shrubs and know how much pruning they're going to need.

Now if you are wanting a way to bid landscape construction jobs (installs) and just want a way to multiply all the numbers (e.g. how much sq. ft. of sod is needed, multiply the price of a certain shrub by the qty., etc.) then you just need to learn how to use MS Excel. But even then, there is no template you can use for every bid. Every bid is unique. I would be happy to send you a few of my install bids worked up on MS Excel so you can see how they should look and how they work.

But other than that, I swear any program that has you just enter numbers in and gives you a total is going to mess you up. Experience is better than any program.