View Full Version : need help

09-27-2009, 11:54 PM
im just starting up and i was wondering if i need to get a business license or just stay self-contracted out

09-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Every business needs one. Insurance to

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
09-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Every business needs one. Insurance to Good advise, if your going to be in business, do it right.

09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
what all do i need to get to do it the right way and get more yards

09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Down here it's 30 for each one. We have a maintance, design, and transportation ones. We have to go down town for it. Insurance, well you just have to call around. If you plan on doing this right I would then go to a laywer and have him inc or llc you. Then go down and file for worker comp exempt. The exempt will be needed for any comercial work period. The llc or inc will keep you from being sued in the event that you do some real damage. The insurance is needed for any comercial work period, and many resi might ask that way you dont sue them. And if you mess up more than you can pay for...

09-29-2009, 05:54 AM
It isn't generally recommended to incorporate or form an LLC right out of the gate. With your general liability insurance, you would be fine as a sole proprietor.

09-29-2009, 06:53 AM
This is correct. I should have added that. I actualy did inc till I need workers comp. Had to do that to be exempt.

09-29-2009, 11:43 PM
I pay my crews, including myself, thru a temp service, they charge 18% over and above the hourly wage, but they cover payroll tax,workers comp,unemployment, health insurance,etc. Anybody else handle their payroll this way ?

09-30-2009, 07:29 AM
They cover all that out of the 18% or thats another fee?

09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I left out a few details, i pay the tax, but they handle it,and they dont pay 100% of the healthcare, my employees have a co-pay, but they take care of the rest + i didnt mention after the employee has been with me for 960 hrs, the temp service pays them for the 5 standard holidays, and 40 hr vac each year. The first year i handled it all myself,with the help of my CPA, but i dont enjoy the paperwork aspect of the biz, and i could not offer my employees the same benefits on my own. + we all now have a 401k.

09-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I like the no paper work. I hate it. What do you figure your saving? It sounds nice

09-30-2009, 11:11 PM
not saving anything,might be break even, the whole thing started during the middle of my first (full time ) season, things were starting to come together pretty good when 2 of my best guys quit me for what they called "real jobs" with benefits, and it got me thinking, how can i offer someone a "real job". Just so happened my sister-in law was working for a temp firm at the time,she got me in to see their sales rep, and the rest is history, there are some things i do to keep the temp service from eating me up, paying any overtime in cash, etc.

09-30-2009, 11:26 PM
You'll need a contractors registration/license if your state offers one.

Some states a contractors registration is in lieu of a business license.

09-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Im in alabama so what all do you think i will need to start the right way?

09-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Try here for a Alabama subcontractor license for landscaping:


10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
How do i go about making contracts and how do i make them

10-03-2009, 07:59 PM

10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
i need one just for lawncare would that be on there and sort of show me how to do it

10-03-2009, 08:07 PM

Select landscape and then click order.

10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
thanks what would you do 6 months or 12 months what do you think is best

10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Well in Idaho at 3,000 feet ASL we have snow, so I do a 28 week contract running from April to October depending on weather. This year we started cutting in May and finished this week.

What are the climate conditions in Alabama? If the weather is mild you can overseed in the fall w/ a winter grass and overseed in the spring w/ a summer grass. Keep the yard green and lush year round.

10-03-2009, 08:42 PM
its mild so what do you think i should do

10-03-2009, 08:43 PM
it only snow like oneday a year down here haha

10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
If the weather conditions and clientele support year round mowing go for it.

10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
What all do you think i need for the basic stuff to start out with? Right now i got a dixion zero turn and a blower, and a weedeater

10-03-2009, 08:53 PM
If you want to overseed you'll need equipment for that too.

Rule of thumb: If you rent it twice figure out a way to own it.

10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
ok thanks