PDA

View Full Version : topdressing and reseeding a lawn

lawnchopper
09-28-2009, 03:06 PM
does it work to dump a few inches of black dirt on a bad part of a lawn then seed it?? or will the decaying grass underneath produce methane gas and kill the new grass trying to grow on top?

This is how most people think how they should reseed bad areas of their lawns

frontier landscaping
09-28-2009, 10:42 PM
after some bugs or something eat apart of grass i put some dirt down not alot and seed

Smallaxe
09-29-2009, 09:45 AM
A thin layer that does not suffocate the grass works, as if, levelling the lawn and raked over with a broom rake. After that I would be reluctant to cover grass less than 3" deep because of rotting (not methane) grass in the new root zone.

lawnchopper
09-29-2009, 06:17 PM
A thin layer that does not suffocate the grass works, as if, levelling the lawn and raked over with a broom rake. After that I would be reluctant to cover grass less than 3" deep because of rotting (not methane) grass in the new root zone.

what does the rotting grass do to the new root root zone??

Smallaxe
09-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Pretty much what rotting grass clippings does to the garden plants on top of the ground, if they are in contact. At least that is what I expect to happen, to some degree.

However, I have seen, sod lain out on green growing grass and survive. Not the greatest growth of sod , but survival can happen.

Essentially you will want to experiment and see what happens, while playing it safe at the same time. Different conditions allow different thing to happen. "The subtleties of life". :)