PDA

View Full Version : Am I too late

drobin
09-28-2009, 05:18 PM
In ny the forcast temps range fom 70 degrees high to 39 low over the next ten days could I still slit seed now. Would it have to be rye because it faster germination or could I still do bluegrass, I know bg takes 21 days to germinate . How cold is too cold? Or how late is too late?
Posted via Mobile Device

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
In ny the forcast temps range fom 70 degrees high to 39 low over the next ten days could I still slit seed now. Would it have to be rye because it faster germination or could I still do bluegrass, I know bg takes 21 days to germinate . How cold is too cold? Or how late is too late?
Posted via Mobile Device

You're past the ideal time, but now is fine. Ground temps are what matters...:usflag:

JWTurfguy
10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Do what you have to do but do it NOW. Don't put it off for another week. Go with a blue/rye mix if it's in the shade and hopefully whatever blue doesn't make it up this fall will come up for you in the spring.

Soil temps in our area are still in the acceptable range for kbg, but they won't be for long. Assuming the kbg has germinated by the end of October, it still won't have much of a chance to develop a strong root system in time for the the winter. That being said, seeding now is still better than trying to do it in April, so get it done asap and hopefully you'll be fine without having to throw down more seed in the spring.

drobin
10-03-2009, 09:32 AM
shane in the spring if i put down crabgrass preventor that will ruin my chances of spring germination right? I'm assuming i shouldnt do a crabgrass preventor?

suzook
10-03-2009, 09:55 AM
you will be sorry if you dont put down pre-m. You will have beautiful grass in the spring, only to too get invaded by crabgrass in july/august. Siduron(Tupersan) is a product you can put down along with seeding, but it only has about a month lifespan, and isnt cheap.

drobin
10-03-2009, 10:22 AM
how does Siduron work?

suzook
10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Like any other pre-m/fertilizer. Are you overseeding, or is it a new lawn? Why dont you post some pix?

drobin
10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
I slit seede my brothers existing lawn that was thin with straight KBG 1st week of sept, he tried his best watering but sept was bone dry, I put down a lot of seed and no germination yet, he is ordering a watering timer but just want to know my options.

suzook
10-03-2009, 10:59 AM
KBG can take 21-28 day to germ. You should see something coming up. People tend to waste $ putting down too much seed. I really dont know what to tell you. Was any pre-m put down in july/aug?

drobin
10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
no pre m put down at all

lawn king
10-03-2009, 12:52 PM
how does Siduron work?

It works very well,it also costs a fourtune. No need at all to use it this time of the year in the northeast.

Stillwater
10-03-2009, 02:12 PM
how does Siduron work?

siduron is a root growth inhibitor, it's absorbed through the roots it does not affect photosynthesis.