PDA

View Full Version : 17 and looking for older help

frontier landscaping
09-28-2009, 06:00 PM
started mowing at age 14 had a small john deere.
for next year i am going to try to get 30 accounts around me (07933).
i no i can get about 10 accounts that range from about .5 to about 7 lot sizes. so i am stuck on what to get.
i was thinking on getting the toro 52" grandstand, because i think that would still be able to cut my small lawns but also my big lawns.
but it would be a great help for you guys to tell me what i should buy.

also insurance wise what am i looking at and what comp. is the best to go with?

now being 18 taxes are going to be coming in to play cant hide from them or anything so it would be a great help to see what to look out for.

frontier landscaping
09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
also what would a good trailer size be???

Hanau
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Standard backyard gate is 36", keep that in mind.

As far as trailers, I ordered a new one for next year. Haulmark Landscaper WT3 20' deck w/ 4' box. 10k GVW. Cost me right at $6K. 24' overall length.

http://www.haulmark.com/landscaper_specialty-trailer/modellswt3/

Saw one at a tradeshow in Boise earlier this year. Nice units. Lots of advantages to this design.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Lots of gates are 36".

You will need a million dollar general liability policy, and you need to file for an LLC. Talk to a tax guy now so u can be prepared.

For a trailer I would get a tandom axle 14-18' trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Promow64
09-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Get the Exmark walk behind 36" mower. The problem with going bigger is you can't fit through most fences. Unless you buy more than one mower.
Insurance will probably cost you around $500/year. You can get away with only having $500,000 Liability.
Trailer: I would look at your local Classifieds and see what's available. You can get away with a 7x10 utility trailer with being as small as you are.

Good Luck

Hanau
09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Why does he have to file for an LLC?

LouisianaLawnboy
09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Why does he have to file for an LLC?

Not mandatory. I got to protect myself and it didn't make a difference in taxes for me. Also simpler. IMHO
Posted via Mobile Device

frontier landscaping
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
yeh i was pretty sure i had to file for a llc also what i have for the set up so far is
toro grandstand 52" (6999)
exmark metro 36" (3100)
red max ebz8001 (600)
red max tr2301 (350)
little wonder 13hp (no price yet)
i want to buy new just because i am looking to make a full time job out of this to pay for collage.

frontier landscaping
09-28-2009, 08:03 PM
tell me what you guys think about the prices if they are fair

frontier landscaping
09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
i want to buy the toro used but cant find one also all the exmarks used i have found are just **** and ready to fall apart.

mowerbrad
09-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Here is what I would suggest that you do...

First you will need to go to your accountant and talk with them about setting up an LLC. It is not necessary but it will be very helpful to protect your personal assets from your business assests.

Second you will need to get a few quotes from insurance companies. You will need to get general liability and commerical auto. For your general liability policy a $500,000 policy will be fine unless you want to do commercial properties, in which case you would need a $1 million policy. You can expect to pay anywhere from about $400-$1000 for your general liability and around $1000 for your commercial auto.

As for your equipment, you will need to figure out what types of accounts you will be getting. If you have gates you need to get through you may want to look into a 36" wb or stander. If you want to spend the money on two different mowers, feel free to spend that money, I'm not here to make financial decisions for you. And for the trailer you will need to get one that will allow you to grow into. There is nothing worse than buying a trailer one year and then next year have to buy another new one just so you can fit everything on it. I would suggest a 7x16 tandem axel.

frontier landscaping
09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
https://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/treasury/revenue/dcr/filing/page1.cgi

does this look like a scam ?

par4landscaping
09-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Frontier Landscaping sounds like you have a plan, the only thing I would recommend is a accountant to assist in depreciation on equipment and business tax deductions. I would also recommend a web site to set you apart from other landscapers in your market. I am using a company called Link Light Hosting, they offer a professional turn key web site. PM me and I can discuss in detail. Good Luck!!

WECS
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
if you want to spend about $6000 in a mower that fits in back yards and it fast i would suggest the Wright Stander 32" , that will fit in back yard gates and will do the job in front yard too with out walking all day.

WETSCAPE
09-29-2009, 10:16 PM
if you want to spend about $6000 in a mower that fits in back yards and it fast i would suggest the Wright Stander 32" , that will fit in back yard gates and will do the job in front yard too with out walking all day.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/mwstahl/orly.gif

Inspira
09-29-2009, 11:16 PM
that site isn't a scam, i'm an LLC in NJ and you can set up everything you need online, don't have to go anywhere. it's also pretty simple, i wouldn't pay an accountant for it. if you're unsure of something, of course, better safe then sorry. but i'm sure even one of your teachers can help out.

also - in NJ there is something called the Small Business Administration (SBA) - they are places you can go, usually at the colleges, i know Kean used to have one, for free, where professional consultants can help you out with everything.

http://www.sba.gov/localresources/district/nj/index.html

Good luck.

frontier landscaping
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
like nj has some weird sites. so since you guys are in nj any thing i need to look out for ??

frontier landscaping
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
soes any one have any contracts ?? that i could take a look at just for basic mowing