PDA

View Full Version : Need a "lazy" carb fix

integrityman
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Guys- I'm helping out a friend who has let gasoline sit in a mower for several seasons. I changed the air filter, spark plug and put in fresh gas. It starts right up, but it sputters a lot. I suspect (should say I know) the carb needs taken apart and cleaned thoroughly.....I'm really not in the mood for this. Is there any type of gasoline additive that I can throw in the tank that will do the trick?

Breezmister
09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Is there any type of gasoline additive that I can throw in the tank that will do the trick?

Gumout ? :rolleyes:

Never tried it, but that would be tooooooo easy :laugh:

So what I would suggest, if you don't want to clean the carb, is replace it with a new one.

DT Lawn Care
09-28-2009, 10:58 PM
A couple of lazy things that could work. One thing that has worked very well for me lazily, is to take a can of carb cleaner in the aerosol can, spray a bunch down the air intake (where the air filter covers the carb), then spray compressed air straight down the intake. I normally do it while the engine is running. Has worked well in the past, just don't try it on motors with check valves, like some 2-strokes and other motors, it will ruin the check valves.

Or, you can get SeaFoam, a very good product sold at hardware and automotive stores. Either run it through the gas tank as an additive, or start it up, while it is running, pour a little down the intake, then shut it off immediately. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then start it up. After the smoke comes out, it COULD run better. That was the directions that I read on my can, I tried that once and it seemed to help.

But first I would spray the carb cleaner followed by compressed air, that works really well for me.

Good Luck

VegetiveSteam
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Seafoam is great but even better than that is Star Tron.

SLR
09-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Just take carb out and apart and inspect for gummed up jets/ports,if this isn't in your 'lazy' catagory,run like 100:1 diesel mixed with the gas.

RonAyersMotorsports
09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
LOL! A quick lazy carb fix. By the time one usually spends getting out of work. I can usually disassemble and clean the carb and do the repair correctly.

Restrorob
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I tried to stay out of this one but.......

By the time one usually spends getting out of work. I can usually disassemble and clean the carb and do the repair correctly.

Ditto ^^^^^

So what happens when this $8 to $12 or more magic potion doesn't work ?

dutch1
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Ditto to Restro's comments. Spraying the magic potion through the throat/venturii will not clean up the ports/jets of the carb and the same stuff in the fuel will not likely help clean up ports anytime soon. Do yourself a favor, remove the carb and clean all ports/jets properly and be done with it. Otherwise there is little to HOPE for and you won't like the CHANGE.

Dutch

mowerknower
09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Depending on what engine you have you could just try to remove the bowl nut and clean out the main jet. But IMO get off your butt and clean the dang carb.

integrityman
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Depending on what engine you have you could just try to remove the bowl nut and clean out the main jet. But IMO get off your butt and clean the dang carb.

You and dutch are both correct...... Ive had my fill of repairs and fixes lately and was just hoping for a "simpler" solution.......