PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid on Walker

Turf Dawg
09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm getting tired of starting my Walker with a screwdriver. Has anyone replaced the solenoid on a Walker before? My arms are to big to get to the starter bolts with the motor in place. Is it hard to pull the engine out of these? It does not look to be all that bad, but I may see what the dealer will charge me and go from there. Come to think of it the last Kohler I had the solenoid went out on it about 800 hrs also:dizzy::cry:

topsites
09-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Isn't the solenoid apart from the starter?

Turf Dawg
09-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Isn't the solenoid apart from the starter?

It is mounted on top of the starter. The ones I have changed needed some wiggle room to remove it once you get those male torx screws out. Kind of like a Chevy starter.

Triple D
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
This is not a hard job at all. You can do one in about 1/2 hour. Take your motor loose from the mounts under the machine and move your motor a little and BAM. It isi just about that easy.

Impressions Landscaping
09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I pulled my whole motor out in about fifteen mins. Just take off all the belts (pretty simple, there all on tensioner pulleys you can hold back with your hands. Then take off the fuel line, unbolt the exhaust manifold and take out the four bolts on the bottom of the motor and the two on the left side and you can lift it right out. It also gives you a chance to clean the grass build up on all the fins of the motor and the bottom of the frame where you can't normally reach.

VegetiveSteam
09-29-2009, 10:57 AM
What are you touching with your screwdriver to make it crank?

PROCUT1
09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Ive never done a walker one but there is no way to get to it with extensions and swivels?

ericg
09-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Procut, by the time you attempt to snake sockets, swivel joints and long extensions attempting to get at a starter on a Walker, there is no guarantee that you will get the starter out because everything is so tight. Its easier to either pull the grass blower which I prefer or loosen the engine bolts and tip it out of the way. Walkers are not maintenance friendly machines but as far as I am concerned, they are the best cutting machines around.

Eric

Turf Dawg
09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
What are you touching with your screwdriver to make it crank?

The large post that has the battery cable and the small post that has the key switch wire on it, [on the solenoid]. Be sure to turn the key to the own position if you want it to stay running.

VegetiveSteam
09-29-2009, 09:34 PM
The large post that has the battery cable and the small post that has the key switch wire on it, [on the solenoid]. Be sure to turn the key to the own position if you want it to stay running.

Ok good. Doing it like that you have just saved yourself the need to change the solenoid. You've just proved there isn't anything wrong with the solenoid or the starter. You're not getting power to the small terminal for some reason. When you jump across it the way you are you are still using the solenoid just as if it were getting voltage from the key switch only your screwdriver is taking the place of the key switch. All you are doing is bypassing the key switch. If the solenoid was bad you would have to jump from the post where the battery cable connects to the post where the wire goes directly into the starter to get it to crank. Put a volt meter on the small terminal and try to crank the engine with the key. See what kind of voltage you're getting.

Turf Dawg
09-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Ok good. Doing it like that you have just saved yourself the need to change the solenoid. You've just proved there isn't anything wrong with the solenoid or the starter. You're not getting power to the small terminal for some reason. When you jump across it the way you are you are still using the solenoid just as if it were getting voltage from the key switch only your screwdriver is taking the place of the key switch. All you are doing is bypassing the key switch. If the solenoid was bad you would have to jump from the post where the battery cable connects to the post where the wire goes directly into the starter to get it to crank. Put a volt meter on the small terminal and try to crank the engine with the key. See what kind of voltage you're getting.

Well that is what I was thinking, but I used a test light on the switch wire and when I turned the key it lit up bright. I guess I might have to use a volt meter on it though. I think I remember having seen some solenoids though that the inside was bad on the small terminal side and the screwdriver was just reversing the process to the outside.

lawnproslawncare
09-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Why do so many manufacturers build the mower around the motor?

VegetiveSteam
09-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Well that is what I was thinking, but I used a test light on the switch wire and when I turned the key it lit up bright. I guess I might have to use a volt meter on it though. I think I remember having seen some solenoids though that the inside was bad on the small terminal side and the screwdriver was just reversing the process to the outside.

Was the wire still connected to the small terminal when you put the test light on it? When you test it with a volt meter leave it connected. It needs to be under a load to test it properly.

On the large terminal where the battery cable connects is there a smaller red wire? There should be and that wire feeds power to your key switch. When you turn the key to the start position power simply travels up the red wire to the key switch and back down probably a blue wire to the small terminal on the solenoid. When you jump it with the screwdriver you're just shortening the distance the voltage needs to travel to get to the small terminal on the solenoid. A bad solenoid is a bad solenoid. There is no way to reverse that.

ericg
09-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I apologize for not reading the post fully. I responded on how to replace the starter. There is a starter relay on the back of the instrument panel. Did you check this relay? If the relay does not close, the voltage will not get to the small terminal on the starter. When you turn the key to the start position, the relay becomes energized, sending voltage to the wire on the starter. Realize that by jumping the starter with the screwdriver, you have bypassed any safety switch in the starting system. Did you check all of your safety switches? Safety switches can have enough resistance if they are not made up to light a test light but not have enough current to engage the solenoid.

Turf Dawg
09-30-2009, 07:12 AM
I will have to put a voltmeter on the solenoid to see how much is getting there. I can hold the key in the start position then tap the soleniod with a hammer handle and it will start though which made me think something is sticking, but it just maybe that it is not getting enough juice.

ericg
09-30-2009, 07:19 AM
If you have to hit the starter with a hammer, change either the solenoid or the complete starter and you will be done.

Eric

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
11-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm in need of some help! I starting trying to get the starter out of my walker tonight. I worked for about an hour and half and got the belt's and breather and took off the muffler. I was hoping to get in there and find some way to get the starter off but I cant find the bolts anywhere on the dang thing! Are the bolts to the starter on the front side of the machine or are they somewhere on one of the sides? I guess I do need to take the engine, I actually tried to move it, but didn't realize that were bolts on the bottom. This is my first project on my walker so I'm kind of new to this. I'm also trying to save myself some dough! If any of y'all could help me out that would be great! Also, should I even try to have the starter rebuilt or should I just a get a new/rebuilt one?

ericg
11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I used to try and work around everything to get the starter out of a Walker and all I ended up with was cut up hands and a lot of cursing. Fixer67 had the right idea, pull the blower assembly for the grass handling and the starter will be open to work on. If you have a good rebuilder in your area, there should be no problem. If not, go with a new one. Many times the starter is dry from lack of lubrication of the Bendix drive. What is the problem with your starter?

Eric

Turf Dawg
11-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I forgot to come back here and FYI everybody. I would like to thank everyone about trouble shooting the wiring first because after tracing the power I found out I had a bad starter relay.

ericg
11-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I apologize for not reading the post fully. I responded on how to replace the starter. There is a starter relay on the back of the instrument panel. Did you check this relay? If the relay does not close, the voltage will not get to the small terminal on the starter. When you turn the key to the start position, the relay becomes energized, sending voltage to the wire on the starter. Realize that by jumping the starter with the screwdriver, you have bypassed any safety switch in the starting system. Did you check all of your safety switches? Safety switches can have enough resistance if they are not made up to light a test light but not have enough current to engage the solenoid.

Turf Dawg, glad you got it fixed. I always keep a few starter relays on the truck in case they go bad in the field. Rather than go to a Walker dealer, you can go to any auto supply and ask for an AR143 relay which is the same thing and at less than half the cost of a dealer supplied one.

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
11-06-2009, 02:13 PM
The starter on my mower is just spinning. It doesn't want to turn the motor over!
Posted via Mobile Device

ericg
11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
CGY, there are two different type of starters on Kohler engines. I believe that you have an inertia starter on your machine since the starter is spinning and the starter drive is not engaging the flywheel. There is a splined shaft that the drive slides on when the starter motor turns forcing it into engagement with the starter. A solenoid shift starter that is used on some Kohlers engages the starter drive into the flywheel via the solenoid while at the same time turning the starter over. Since you said that the starter is spinning but not engaging, it may be that the drive is dirty and has a lack of lubrication.

Kohler recommends starter drive service on inertia starters every 500 hours of operation or annually, whichever occurs first. You are supposed to clean and lubricate the splines on the starter drive shaft. If the drive pinion is worn, or has chipped or broken teeth, it must be replaced.

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks ericg! Much appreciated! I've given up workin on it till Sunday. I just don't have enough daylight to get to it by the end of the day! I'll give another go on Sunday. What the best way to take the blower belt off? It looks pretty tough to get and get off! Any ideas? Thanks once again!
Posted via Mobile Device

ericg
11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
CGY, its not the blower belt that has to be removed, its the blower assembly. The blower assembly is the housing where the grass chute connects to. If you are not familiar with how to remove the blower assembly, it might be easier for you to remove the four bolts holding the engine to the frame. Removing the bolts that hold the engine might give you enough wiggle room to get to the starter by tilting the engine.

Eric