PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Poll

JeremySkrocki
05-04-2002, 03:25 PM
As you'll see from my bio I am a new company. I do mainly lawn and Landscape maintenence, but I did a resodding job in a middle class neighborhood and the home owners association liked the job I did and invited me to bid on several projects in the neighborhood. One of them is the planting of several trees (roughly 130). This is by far the largest project I have ever considered bidding. Although it is just me and my wife that make up the company, I have recources to get the man power to do the work, however, I'm wondering if this is to large a project for a small company like mine.

Please give me your opinion, I have learned alot from all you in the past and so value your opiniions.

Thank You
Jeremy

Bob Minney
05-04-2002, 03:52 PM
If you have the resources to handle the project then it's just fear due to the size of the job? To put it in perspective think of it as 10 smaller jobs for one customer. The way I evaluate new projects is to make a list of the upsides and any potential downsides involved. This helps me decide if the return is worth the risk. If its what you want it could be a great opportunity.

AGLA
05-04-2002, 04:00 PM
By asking this question it makes me think that you do not have a good idea of how much resources of the company it will take to intall these trees. Many people that read this board will know how much it would take of their resources to do it in their area. But that is not to say that the conditions or your production is the same as theirs.
To properly bid a job you need to have a good idea of what it will cost you to do in order to know what to charge. You will gain knowledge, skills, and ability as you go on as a landscaper. You have to know what these are so that you can quantify them. You have to track what it took to do something, so that you can apply that to what it will take to do something.
You are hoping to apply someone else's knowledge, skills, and abilities to your project. That is OK...as long as you have the same knowledge, skills, and abilities.
I'm a big believer in gaining experience before taking onbigger projects.
This industry probably has the biggest problem with people over qualifying themselves because the public sees a lawn mower and wants the owner of it to completely redo their landscape...then we wonder why they don't respect the industry.
What industry could equate a husband and wife mowing lawns to the same thing as a crew properly installing 130 large trees. I think that there is a different set of knowledge, skills, and ability to be applied.:blob3:
Of course you should take work that is offered to you and use the experience to go on further. But it was a good opportunity to remind those of us who complain about the lack of respect in our industry why it is there.

Lanelle
05-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Sounds like you will need to use a skid steer with several attachments to get the job done efficiently. The size of the trees has a lot of bearing on how tough the job will be. Also, are you prepared to offer a warranty for these trees?

PAPS
05-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Not for nothing.. but 130 trees is not really that big of a job, depending on what your man-power/equipment is. Like you mentioned.. you have man-power... but personally... I would use (5-6) guys for a job of that scale.... (1) guy would run our Komatsu PC50 and dig the holes for the trees... (1) guy would our Bobcat, with forks and transport the trees to the hole, the other (3-4) guys would back-fill and stake the trees...(2-2.5) days for the entire project (if the trees are being planted all on the same site, and I'd have tractors directly ship them to the site...)

Theres no reason why you couldnt rent the equip. to take on a job like this... it

Rough estimate : pending trees/size etc. $25,000 - $35,000 range

kris
05-05-2002, 10:40 AM
Lanelle is right ... it depends ... not enough info.

The other posters are also correct ...don't get in over your head.

If these are caliper trees you will be in for allot of work if not properly equiped.

We have a couple of small tree farms ... we only plant around 1200 trees ( bare root ) each spring ... we have had a gal on a bobcat augering the holes for the past 2 days and will send a big crew in to plant next week ....they will be planted in one day and staked another.

Paps ... do you have the tree boom attachment for your bobcat?

prairie
05-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Great info here... How much are the trees, all on the site site, how large are the trees? These are some of the q's you need to know...

Think of the job as 10 small jobs, price the job as you were doing the small ones. Now if you have full-time customers you can price the job as anyother small job. OR if you need the work and you don't have full-time customers you should price the job at a lessor cost, being you will be doing this job for a lot longer than your usual customers. This lets you price the job cheaper because you know it is employing you longer. these are some key things you need to know before you price the job.....and if the trees are all on the one site it will be easier to accomplish the job and less of a hassel.