PDA

View Full Version : When you thought you saw it all seeding...

WETSCAPE
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
My nieghbor had his place core aerated last week by his landscaper. Today the same fellow showed up and used an overseeder and did it again? My thoughts either he got taken or will have the thickest lawn in town! Any thoughts comments on this? I have never seen both done personally, at least I never have tried this......

robtown
09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
you do know that each piece of equipment has its own purpose.
one is for compaction.
one is for seeding.
It would be wierd if he seeded both times.

WETSCAPE
09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
He did seed twice just two differant ways, in a period of 1 week ? Why not just core and broadcast seed done? Even perhaps rolled out for contact . I am more curious than anything Never seen it done this way. Thanks,,,,,,:drinkup:

turfsolutions
10-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Not conventional, but at least he wasn't cutting corners. I bet the lawn comes in great. I have seen aeration followed by powerseeding which is great. A step above broadcast seeding with a side benefit of breaking up the cores. Seeding twice though is a bit wasteful.

greenskeeper79
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
My nieghbor had his place core aerated last week by his landscaper. Today the same fellow showed up and used an overseeder and did it again? My thoughts either he got taken or will have the thickest lawn in town! Any thoughts comments on this? I have never seen both done personally, at least I never have tried this......

Common practice especially if the lawn has thin/bare areas. The overseeder will drop see in the holes as well as the slits. Two directions gives even more germination of seed than one direction or broadcast. Hopefully he cut his rate in 1/2 for each direction.

I bet the lawn comes in great :clapping:

EastCoast
10-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds like a smart fella... I'm going to purchasing a LS Turf Revitalizer next spring for my home... because these slit seeders are truely amzing products.

Broadcasting will work, but not like a slit seeder. Like the forum member mentioned above "he is not cutting any corners".

LushGreenLawn
10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I aerate without spreading seed, and powerseed about a week later.

you can't just aerate and spread seed and expect good results.
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
10-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Sounds like he did a good job to me.
I aerate, power seed & top dress with compost at the same time. Then stop back in a couple of weeks to check out the results, over seed if necessary.
I never roll after seeding, it compacts the soil.

Danscapes
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree, that sounds right to me. Think about it this way, when you core aerate your making 1 1/2-2 inch holes. So if you just broadcast seed over top then most of it goes down the holes and wont germinate. It will work that way but slit seeding after aeration is best.

Plug It Lawn Aeration
10-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I agree that slit seeding is the best route to go, but I have aerated in two directions and overseeded with a broadcast spreader and achieved amazing results. It is important to water everyday until germination. That's what a lot of people don't seem to do or will not commit to doing.