PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted.

Florida Gardener
09-30-2009, 12:18 AM
OK, to make this short and sweet. I did a landscape install for one of my customer's a few months back. Came out amazing. I had this "colleague" help me out(which i paid him for) on the two install days. I did the initial design, but we re-arranged some of the stuff on the actual install day. He came up with some other ideas to throw to my customer(such as using cap rock) that my customer agreed to. Keep in mind, my company went through the whole process of this job and this guy was paid for his time on the install days. He also has his own company and he says that his specialty is design work. He is not a LA, but he does designs,maintenance,etc. After the first day, he asks if he could put his sign of his company in the yard and i tell him no. Then he says that he feels he should be compensated for his ideas, etc. I paid him really good money for his 2 days but i guess he didnt feel that was enough. This house is on a major road and is a corner lot so it gets TONS of exposure. I kind of stopped talking to this guy afterwards b/c i felt he was trying to finegle me so to speak. Fast forward to like 20 minutes ago. I randomly went on to his website and it is totally new. He listed MY customer's house under his "best projects" section. It has 2 pics of MY customer's yard. Now, i know there is nothing I can really do about this, but do you guys think this is right or wrong??

mcw615
09-30-2009, 12:27 AM
I think it is wrong.. but did you hire him personally or use him as a subcontractor?

mowerbrad
09-30-2009, 12:28 AM
If his company was involved in that project, it would have been perfectly fine for him to have pictures of that project on his website. But since that seems to not be the case, I think its wrong that he has it up on his website. You had him (as a "collegue") help you with the project, not him with his company. But this type of thing happens when you work with a friend, which is why it is not highly recommended.

Florida Gardener
09-30-2009, 12:36 AM
This guy is not a friend. I was introduced to him through a mutual friend b/c we are both in the biz. This guy has pretty much jerked me around since i have known him. He was hired personally by me. He didn't have any contact with my customer before the install and all he basically did was help with installing plants and offering his ideas to me during the install.

mcw615
09-30-2009, 12:42 AM
I would call him, tell him his company had nothing to do with this job and explain to him the general terms you two had and for him to take down the pics of the work. I would also reiterate that his company was not authorized to take pictures of this customers house/lawn/wall whatever you had done.

White Gardens
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Even if I help someone else (only happened once) I realize that I am their employee for that time, and my opinions are only my opinions and even if I have any input into the process, then I want it stated before the project so I know my place.

They guy is using you, harass him, but I don't think there is much your going to get him to do unless you take him to court.

I'd say let it go, stew about it for a week and move on. If you end up bidding against him in the future, then let your customers know of his questionable character. Guys like that will only go by-by in the end. Just a matter of how long it will be.

ParkviewNursery
10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Lets see the pics...... or website....