PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding in central MN

tyler84
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I slit seeded my lawn last week with a Fescue mix. Now this week temperatures have dropped to around 60 during the day and upper 30's at night. Next week it's suppose to warm up, did I wait too long to overseed?

Thank you!

Kiril
09-30-2009, 09:54 AM
As long as soil temps are in the 55-65 F range you should be fine.

tyler84
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I found a map online of soil temps and it looks like we are between 50-55. I checked the forecast and it doesn't appear that it's going to be warming up much in the next week or so. If I don't have any luck with it this fall should I overseed again in the spring or hope that the existing seed will germinate?

Thank you!

Kiril
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I found a map online of soil temps and it looks like we are between 50-55. I checked the forecast and it doesn't appear that it's going to be warming up much in the next week or so. If I don't have any luck with it this fall should I overseed again in the spring or hope that the existing seed will germinate?

Thank you!

You are right on the borderline of acceptable germination temps. Fescue will germinate at lower temps, but your % germination will decrease. I will generally throw out some seed in the spring just for good measure without doing anything special. If the lawn is still thin, then you might want to do a full over seed again in the spring (i.e. with a compost top dress) and the following fall. Basically keep over seeding until you get the lawn nice and thick ... and over seed on a regular basis to keep it that way.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I did a lawn renovation last week as well - 5k sq ft with a KBG/Fescue/Rye mix. I am not worried about it at all germinating. The most important thing is the seeding was done just before a couple days nice rainfall, with more on the way. No freezing temps yet NOR forecast for the next 7 days. Grow grass, grow!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-01-2009, 12:49 PM
One thing I just thought of. Keep in mind grass seed is generally surface sown or just below the surface. Temps at that depth would probably be warmer than than, say, several inches down in the soil. Though that will change as colder weather sets in.

naughty62
10-03-2009, 06:45 AM
We rolled the dice on a couple lawns .I hate seeding right now .I like to wait for a few good frosts and cooler soil temps to dormant seed .If its a crappy lawn I pre fer to use a mix with 10% or so annual rye , at the least they may get a little ground cover and fesue seems overwinter the best .The good thing is boss will never be broke because he will have outstanding billings till some customer see good viable grass in late spring.Like Dougla McAuthor said in the Phillipines .

tyler84
10-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Tonight we are suppose to have a low of 29, so I'm guessing the chances of anymore seed germinating this fall are over.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-08-2009, 10:19 AM
tyler - yep we are going to have a string of a few nasty cold days/nights in a row unfortunately. I would say your good seeding days are over this season, except for dormant seeding which you wouldn't want to do for a while.

Update - I had some seedings I did around Sept 22 and they are sprouting, probably the rye and fescue.

tyler84
10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
From what I can tell I have some seeds that germinated. Should I try slit seeding again in the spring or just apply pre emergent and try again in the fall?

Thank you for your help!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-09-2009, 11:36 PM
ty - I wouldn't get stressed out about it now. Wait to see what you have in the spring, I will bet you will be presently surprised.

Last year I slit seeded my 4k sq ft backyard (right about Sept 25th) and that fall thought "man, nothing seems to be happening here...." This year, my backyard was as thick as ever and that included a big drought in Sept. You may not even need to touch your area in question again, just good fert and go!

Smallaxe
10-10-2009, 06:52 AM
From what I can tell I have some seeds that germinated. Should I try slit seeding again in the spring or just apply pre emergent and try again in the fall?

Thank you for your help!

Why not do both? When does CG germinate in your area? How quickly can you get turf grasses up and running?
The best time to seed in the spring is right after the snow goes. Just broadcast on the thin areas and the freezing/thawing cycle, plants and soaks the seed, then when the time is right, it germinates. After a few weeks of growth, you can throw on your 'root development inhibitor', w/out killing your new grasslings.

tyler84
10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Thank you everyone for the replies! One more question and this may not be the correct forum to ask it. When I over seeded I applied starter fertilizer, would you wait for a month to pass and then apply winterizer or just skip it all together?

I do plan to broadcast the thin areas in the spring as suggested.

Thanks again!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-12-2009, 11:11 AM
What % slow release N did you apply with that Starter?
If a high % then I would just let the fert do its job.