PDA

View Full Version : Pea gravel patio

IN2MOWN
09-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Last year I installed a pea gravel patio at my house.

What I did was put down about 5 inchs of AB3, wetted it and then tamped it down to a hard surface.

On top of that I put about 3 inches of pea gravel. Its comfortable to walk on with no shoes and also nice to look at.

The problem is that it doesnt stay tamped down. Soon after it becomes very loose.

I was wondering if there was any sort of spray epoxy I could put on it to keep the gravel from moving. A hardner of sorts.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hanau
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
My first guess would be concrete.

Maybe a skim layer, then dump the gravel on. Say half the thickness of the gravel? Or less?

Think that might give you enough binding power?

I've never done a pea gravel patio. Definetely interested in hearing more.

IN2MOWN
09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
My wife got the idea out of some magazine so I went with it.

I did the AB3 concrete dust and then the pea gravel. It looked nice in the magazine but once I got it down I realized that the pea gravel, no matter how much you tamp it, is going to come loose.

We did it because when we moved in there was brick patio but all the bricks were broken and I really didnt want to spend the money on all new pavers. This was inexpensive, its about 30X30 and I think it only cost about $300.00 to do it.

Hanau
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
"It looks nice in a magazine" will get you everytime.

Tried throwing a plate compactor on it?

IN2MOWN
09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
"It looks nice in a magazine" will get you everytime.

Tried throwing a plate compactor on it?

Thats what I used to tamp it. Worked great on the AB3 and works well on the gravel also but it only takes about a day or two of walking on to loosen it up

LushGreenLawn
09-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I would think you would have to have some type of binding agent. Pra gravel is pretty course. Did they give any insight as to the process used in the magazine? It sounds like for certain situations it would look really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

IN2MOWN
09-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I would think you would have to have some type of binding agent. Pra gravel is pretty course. Did they give any insight as to the process used in the magazine? It sounds like for certain situations it would look really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

The last step in the magazine was tamping the gravel down. I came up with the "glue" (for lack of a better word) by myself.

frumdig
09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
when we did the landscape on a hosue a while back. we preped the driveway for the builder. it was limstone base, and then they had another company spray some asphalt tar, then the peagravel.... customer was insistant on a peagravel driveway. it still looks ok, but the bottom line is pea gravel is never going to compact tight. you can see down to the asphalt in some areas, and there are loose sections. obviously your case is light traffic, and it might work. but yould have to start all over.

thats why they put peagravel in concrete; and as it hardens, use a reducer agent to wash off the mortar to expose the clean gravel.

i would just expect to have to brush it level from time to time. and maybe add some more if your base gets exposed from high traffic.

-Evan.

IN2MOWN
09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
when we did the landscape on a hosue a while back. we preped the driveway for the builder. it was limstone base, and then they had another company spray some asphalt tar, then the peagravel.... customer was insistant on a peagravel driveway. it still looks ok, but the bottom line is pea gravel is never going to compact tight. you can see down to the asphalt in some areas, and there are loose sections. obviously your case is light traffic, and it might work. but yould have to start all over.

thats why they put peagravel in concrete; and as it hardens, use a reducer agent to wash off the mortar to expose the clean gravel.

i would just expect to have to brush it level from time to time. and maybe add some more if your base gets exposed from high traffic.

-Evan.

I dont want to start totally over. I wonder if I could just add another level of pea gravel and raise it up a couple more inches?

Dreams To Designs
10-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Yes, there are gravel stabilizers or bonding compounds. You could also remove the pea gravel, use a cellular stabilizing grid system and reinstall the pea gravel. NDS Gravel Pavers & Cell-Tek are two of the products that come to mind for the grid system.

http://www.ndspro.com/press-releases/22-ezroll-permeable-interlocking-pavers

http://gravellok.celltekdirect.com/

Kirk

White Gardens
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
That looks like some cool stuff Dreams... Good way to utilize a gravel patio.

One of my customers went out to Monticello (Thomas Jefferson Home) for a vacation and they had a flagstone path with gravel in between.

He stated that they used some sort of chemical, or binder to spray on the rock to help hold them in place.

I would really like to know what the stuff is, how toxic it is, and if it really works. I haven't been able to find it on-line.

GreenLight
10-03-2009, 08:56 AM
One thing we do very commonly with Pea Gravel areas that have an enclosed edging is either make a portland solution (just water and portland w/o sand, mixed to a milky consistency) or simply scatter portland across the surface and wash it in. It disappears from the top fairly easily and ultimately gives you a pretty strong surface layer below.

IN2MOWN
10-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys. Im going to look into all of those options.

zturncutter
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
I wonder if the polymeric sand that we use on paver jobs might work.

Dreams To Designs
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
The poly sand would stick it all together, including a frosting of sand, if the gaps weren't too large. With pea gravel it would stick it all pretty tight, but there remains a haze of sand on the surface of the path.

Kirk