View Full Version : Permagreen Ultra charging system
09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Again. I think my charging system (stator) has gone bad. Permagreen tells me to remove the tank, shroud and flywheel. Replace stator.
Battery runs down after a day of spraying. Anybody had this problem? Any advice before I get out a socket wrench?
It actually runs fine--if--I charge the battery for a half hour every night.
09-30-2009, 10:58 PM
disconnect the battery with the engine running. Does the engine quit?
10-01-2009, 07:50 AM
I didn't try above test. Actually, I am getting a reading of about 15.5 volts before the voltage regulator, and about 13.5 volts after the voltage regulator at wide open throttle--if I remember it right. A mower shop suggested that the one of magnets that are glued inside the flywheel may have come loose.
All advice appreciated.
10-01-2009, 06:58 PM
battery has nothing to do with the engine running(on the PG)
are grounds and connections all good and clean?
is it possible your battery is getting weak and putting additional
load on the charging system?
are you running an aftermarket battery or the little oem 1?
on one of my rebuilt motor trials this year, the inside of the flywheel
grenaded, little magnets went everywhere- so it is possible
10-01-2009, 08:57 PM
I will check the grounds and connections. Battery is new this spring. Small motor scooter battery, AGM-type. 2.5 AH, as I recall. More power than original I suspect. Battery charges up to about 12.7 volts after a half hour on the charger.
10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
check this out- i think #695730 is it
add this to beginning of above link
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I think I found the problem. Corrosion damaged the positive terminal where the motor scooter battery positive terminal was connected by a spade connector. Thus the electric pump did not work, the electric start did not work, the battery did not charge, and the motor surged and ran rough, with very low power. When I wiggled the hot wire, the pump started to work. I scrapped off the old connector and removed all the corrosion and installed a new wire connector. I should have known; same connector failed last year. This, in spite of coating it with hot glue to protect it. It is humid around here.
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
dielectric grease might work better than hot glue.
10-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks KS, dielectric grease. I will ask at my auto parts store.
10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Riggle, are you fond of the Ultras? I may sell mine this spring if you are looking to add another to your fleet. I am looking to upgrade to something that will allow me to spray WP when needed, either a Z or a T.
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Fert, you may wish to add a 12 volt bilge pump to your tank--it would circulate the solution. Allowing you to use wettable powders. http://www.premiumpowersports.com/Seachoice-Mini-Bilge-Pump-p-668.html
Oh yes I am fond of my PG Ultra. So fond of it, I may sell it. Working fine today.
10-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Good for you we are probably looking to buy the same machine. I will check out that thread and possibly retrofit mine.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.