PDA

View Full Version : Trucks

Skyview1
09-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey Guys-

We have been in business for 8 years now and are running 4 GMC 1-tons. I have the opportunity to buy a leftover 2007 GMC 4500 rack dump, meets all plowing needs, with a large tool box between the cab and body.

I am curous to see what other people out there are running and what they have paid for a truck such as this. Hauling materials and heavy equipment with the one tons demands a lot out of them, and bringing more than one vehicle to the job instead of just one.

This may not be the right forum, but you folks do what I do and I know you can relate. I appreciate all the input and look forward to the responses!

Thanks!

tthomass
09-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Gas or diesel? New I assume? How long is the bed?

I've got an '04 diesel and we'll load as much as 5 ton in it. Great compact truck and built like a rock for sure!

As for plowing, a local contractor I know has several and runs 10' plows on them + V-box.

Skyview1
09-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reply...

The truck is brand new and diesel. It will have a 9 ft bed with solid rack sides, barn door and contractor gate on rear. 2' toolbox between body and cab. Trailer brakes, ball and pintle, tarp, 9.6' stainless v plow.

Im trading in my 04 3500 that has 33500 miles on it. They are giving me $19000.00 With this trade, they are selling me the truck for $49,000.00

I have never purchased a larger truck like this, nor traded one of my work trucks in. My dealer knew I have been looking for a 4500 and put this on me quick.

What do you all think?

Hanau
09-30-2009, 11:52 PM
I've been kicking myself in the butt for not ordering at least 2 Kodiak 5500 crew cab 4x4's before GM pulled the plug. Awesome trucks, great value for the dollars spent.

tthomass
10-01-2009, 12:07 AM
I think they're $9k high on the asking price alone. Are you looking to pay for the truck in full with trade or finance? At this point the dealer has been forced to purchase the truck from GM and wants to get rid of it to recoup any profits.

DVS Hardscaper
10-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Go foreign. Hino. Mitsubishi.

Skyview1
10-01-2009, 07:58 AM
tthomas-

That price of $49000.00 is for the entire truck with body plow, and options. Do you still think it should be 9k lower?

I will finance this truck.

Thanks again for the help!

P.L.
10-01-2009, 09:27 AM
For an 07 definitely high on the price.

tthomass
10-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I priced an '07 1.5-2 years ago. No box behind cab, flatbed dump and 2wd........is yours 4wd??

$38,000 was asking price and same truck, newer model was $42,000.

I bought a used '04 diesel with 78k miles on it 1.5yrs ago. Truck had a welders body on it that nobody seemed to be able to look past and it was traded in to a Ford dealership. I got the truck for an even $15k and spent another $10k to have an aluminum tool box put behind the cab and an 11' steel dump body built on the back. So, $25k I had a nice dump truck and a hell of a deal.

Look used, unless you just want to spend the money. I'd check out leasing/renting too (tax deductible). There's pride in owning stuff but I own probably all I'll be buying as I'm very well equipped. The other things that come along in the future will probably be leased/rented to minimize risk in both overhead and unforeseen repairs. Just run the #'s, in the end its the net that matters.

tthomass
10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
And if you need a bigger truck/capacity. Look at International/Freightliner. 26k GVW, doesn't require CDL, built much heavier/stronger and will carry 6 ton easy. Plus, you can get about any size dump body you want.

Used, you can pick these trucks up for $15k easy and will out last smaller trucks.

Skyview1
10-01-2009, 10:52 PM
tthomas- That is all good info and it is 4wd...

One of my clients is a leasing agent for heavy equipment and I actually talked to him today. This is the first time I am not in a jam to purchase a truck and I want to make sure I do it right.

The dealer is coming back with different numbers tomorrow, so I will see how that goes.

tnmtn
10-01-2009, 10:59 PM
you haven't mentioned yet if it is 4wd. i agree with tthomas on the buying used. there are great deals out there. only diffrence would be if they are offering exceptional financing. another thing to keep in mind is the extra pollution devices on trucks built after '06. i don''t think you will find anyone to say this made the engines better in any way. this is the reason i looked for a '06 or earlier. these trucks are beasts for their size. good luck,

tthomass
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
4wd is a very expensive option. See if they'll give you that for free. Don't believe for a minute that they've done all they can do. YOU are in control of the deal. The truck has sat there forever and they want to move it. When I bought my '07 DMAX pickup we went back and forth etc..........I made a final offer and the guy chuckled and said no way. Dad and I got up and started walking to the door and they new I was going to drive 2hrs to buy the same truck for $3k more (more options). They took my offer 1/2 way to my Dad's truck.

etwman
10-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry but anyone who drops $49k on a NEW truck right now in this economy needs to have their head examined. For what you can find used trucks out there for now there's no reason to go buy new. You don't even have to shake the trees, just walk by them. I haven't bought a NEW work truck in 10 years. For $49k you could get two really nice work trucks. Bet me.

I was at an auction last week and 5500's were lined up a dozen deep with every option on them under the sun.

Go with a strong 26k GVW truck.

DVS Hardscaper
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry but anyone who drops $49k on a NEW truck right now in this economy needs to have their head examined. For what you can find used trucks out there for now there's no reason to go buy new. You don't even have to shake the trees, just walk by them. I haven't bought a NEW work truck in 10 years. For $49k you could get two really nice work trucks. Bet me.

I was at an auction last week and 5500's were lined up a dozen deep with every option on them under the sun.

Go with a strong 26k GVW truck.

I have to agree. I was looking through a farm machinery / construction equipment magazine the other day, full of used stuff for sale, and there was a nice looking International Dump truck with a 10 or 12' dump bed, 26,000# GVW, for sale for less than $11,000.00.

I think many of us buy new so that we can get a truck with little or no money out of pocket. If you have the cash, or if you can find a way to finance used - that's truely the BEST way to go.

etwman
10-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Adding to DVS, don't give me that "Oh I have to buy new because of the warranty or 0% financing." First off you'd be spending about $30k for that warranty. For what you could buy one used for you can completely rebuild the entire truck 5 times over. 0% financing? There is no such thing. You're paying for it somewhere.

Face it. If someone came to you and asked you if you could do a project for raw cost, then you did 20 more after that how long would you be in business? Nothing is free.

You can negotiate the snot out of a new truck, but it pales in comparison to what you can find used ones for right now. Its the same with construction equipment like skidloaders, track loaders, etc.

NEUSWEDE
10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
since tthomass and etwman have posted here let me ask you this what do you like about the SNG over a hook and lift? I am starting to build a truck like you guys have and just curious I have looked at both and just looking for another opinion.
Thanks

PlatinumLandCon
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
DVS, what are your reasons for Jap trucks vs American ones?

mrusk
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I think DVS wants a truck that will last for more then a 100k miles. I hope he also hates the UAW thugs.

DVS Hardscaper
10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
DVS, what are your reasons for Jap trucks vs American ones?

ahh......same reasons why most folks go with Jap cars over so called American cars.

Honestly, I have yet to meet an owner of a foreign work truck that regrets buying it and that doesn't have anything but positive things to say about it/them. Our mulch supplier bought a Jap cab over about 2 years ago. They love it, they say it out performs their American trucks.

Men and Trucks = EGO It's not cool to have a sissy cab over. They gotta have that sleek hood.

Yes, I have a large American truck. And if I were to ever buy a brand new pick up or medium duty truck again, it would not be American.

I do have a foreign pick up. Great, SOLID, well built truck, but I must admit the factory customer service is the worst I've ever experienced.

What kills me is mis-informed Americans think no cab overs can hold up to the work. LOL, well, how do you think all the other overseas countries get by, they don't have all American trucks! They build highways, bridges, skyscrapers, patios, retaining walls in Europe and Japan. Materials still get transported from point A to point B just as they do here in the states :)

Ok, so you need to plow snow. Buy a decent, 10 to 12 year old pick up and use it for plowing. Make sure the cooling system is flowing freely and that the trans is good and strong and you're set.

stuvecorp
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
I looked at an International cab over and could not get comfortable in it and wasn't as easy getting in and out. Maybe it's different with the other brands? How is the towing capacity with them? Have always heard they couldn't tow what a 450/550 does?

tthomass
10-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Heck, I'll play the sissy card on the cab overs. I've driven them a lot at previous employers. They're good trucks, we overloaded the hell out of them. Towing wasn't fun though usually I used an International to tow with. My biggest issue is safety. I want that hood and big piece of cast iron out in front of me to take no mercy on whatever comes my way. Guy there ran off the road on ice and smacked a phone pole at say 35mph right into the passenger part of the cab. Had someone been sitting there they would have been dead because the cab was crushed.

So, I don't like them because I'm hard headed but more so due to safety.

As for the SNG. Well, SNG can't be compared to a hook lift because a hook lift will out perform it all day long. Its a winch and an electric dump........slow, not as powerful. Hook lifts are hydro.......lots of power and a whole different animal. SNG costs about $9,000 less for the hoist being the big reason. It also weighs a lot less and being electric is much more universal and easy to hook up to a chassis. SNG has come out with a hydro version but I can't tell you much about it because I have not used nor seen one. For our industry SNG is fine but if you're constantly lifting heavy loads and require a CDL to drive your truck from A to B + using the heck out of the system (more than 4 times a day)..........get a hook lift.

Hanau
10-06-2009, 12:16 AM
My only beef with Japanese cabovers is when (not if, all things mechanical break at some point) they break down having to tow one several hundred miles to a dealer.

The Fuso FG 4x4 is awesome, the nearest dealer is way down in Boise.

If I was based in Seattle, Portland, or Spokane I'd have nothing but cabovers. They're awesome.

One of my favorites is the UD 3300 with Pioneer 4x4, that is one boss truck,

Twitchy
10-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I have to agree. I was looking through a farm machinery / construction equipment magazine the other day, full of used stuff for sale, and there was a nice looking International Dump truck with a 10 or 12' dump bed, 26,000# GVW, for sale for less than $11,000.00.

I think many of us buy new so that we can get a truck with little or no money out of pocket. If you have the cash, or if you can find a way to finance used - that's truely the BEST way to go.

I just looked at this truck on Sunday. A 1997 International 4700 dt466 25500 gvw, 156,00 miles w/a american 10 ton hook system and one container. Though the container is too sm for a skid and it's a light duty, for $10,000 how can you go wrong. I'm working numbers right know to see if the money can be spent. I need a 2nd box (15 yd) and little odds and ends otherwise this truck can be put to work tomorrow. Heck it's even painted blue and white like the rest of the company trucks. What do you guys think?

billwlod
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Im currently looking for a ram 3500 quad cab with a dump box or without . Also a snowblade

threeleafllc
12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I just looked at this truck on Sunday. A 1997 International 4700 dt466 25500 gvw, 156,00 miles w/a american 10 ton hook system and one container. Though the container is too sm for a skid and it's a light duty, for $10,000 how can you go wrong. I'm working numbers right know to see if the money can be spent. I need a 2nd box (15 yd) and little odds and ends otherwise this truck can be put to work tomorrow. Heck it's even painted blue and white like the rest of the company trucks. What do you guys think?

Twitchy
that is a very nice looking truck the price is just about were it should be i think..the only big down fall to the truck is the hooklift..we own 2 hooklifts one a american and one is a stellar..heres the issue with that american hook.Its only single acting it does NOT dump like a dump truck..American make 2 classes of hooklifts one that dump like a roll off and one the dumplike a dump truck the frame actually dumps(dual acting)
I bought an american single acting hooklift and im not to impressed with its abillities..
im me if you have anymore ?s about hooklifts ill try to help
Allen

zedosix
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I did the same thing, bought a used international 2 yrs back, it was in the Penske fleet out of Tennesse. It had 102,000 miles on it and I paid 30k to have it shortened and painted, then 14k for a new hi tensile box. It saved me around 30k over new and it works like a charm.

Twitchy
12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Twitchy
that is a very nice looking truck the price is just about were it should be i think..the only big down fall to the truck is the hooklift..we own 2 hooklifts one a american and one is a stellar..heres the issue with that american hook.Its only single acting it does NOT dump like a dump truck..American make 2 classes of hooklifts one that dump like a roll off and one the dumplike a dump truck the frame actually dumps(dual acting)
I bought an american single acting hooklift and im not to impressed with its abillities..
im me if you have anymore ?s about hooklifts ill try to help
Allen
Thanks for the info Allen, but I passed on that truck. Still very interested in the hook though. I'll definitely keep you in mind. Probably have something built to my specs. A truck w/a lg tool box behind the cab kinda like ETWMAN. But no switch and go, looks kinda weak and cheap.

threeleafllc
12-16-2009, 06:11 PM
anytime you wanna chat im me and ill give you my number.. I would look into a stellar 24klb hooklift. we run a 20klb stellar on our Kenworth t300,we move our mini and skid in the cans and we have a closed top container for storage on bigger sites. i demoed a sng before we bought our f550 hooklift and it was just to slow and not really user freindly.not bashing sng i think they def have there place,its just not for my application.
Allen

jhgilliland
12-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree with many who have posted earlier. Find something used and go from there. I found my 01 International 4900 with 70,000 miles last august. Paid 15000 cash. (which was about 3-4000 more than similar trucks with 125-175,000 miles) I bought a higher mile truck previously and have paid for it in the long run.
I spoke with Jarod (ETWMAN) and basically built a very similar truck to his with his help and a few modifications. i ended up buying the hydro SNG system and have been very pleased with it overall. The cost of setting it up is certainly more but i just felt more comfortable with the hydro.
Custom Fabbed the rack and box behind the cab. The rack over the box and cab is built heavy enough to hold skid steer attachments or just about anything else we need.
The box behind the cab holds all of our tools so we dont have much load and unload time each day.
Either way it has worked well as we are still a small company and we have lots of room to grow. To each their own!

Twitchy
12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I agree with many who have posted earlier. Find something used and go from there. I found my 01 International 4900 with 70,000 miles last august. Paid 15000 cash. (which was about 3-4000 more than similar trucks with 125-175,000 miles) I bought a higher mile truck previously and have paid for it in the long run.
I spoke with Jarod (ETWMAN) and basically built a very similar truck to his with his help and a few modifications. i ended up buying the hydro SNG system and have been very pleased with it overall. The cost of setting it up is certainly more but i just felt more comfortable with the hydro.
Custom Fabbed the rack and box behind the cab. The rack over the box and cab is built heavy enough to hold skid steer attachments or just about anything else we need.
The box behind the cab holds all of our tools so we dont have much load and unload time each day.
Either way it has worked well as we are still a small company and we have lots of room to grow. To each their own!

That's a really nice set up . What size wheel base is that truck, perfect length. Throw some chrome simulators on it and your set.

jhgilliland
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Im not sure on the wheelbase. Its long, but so far this year there wasnt anywhere i couldnt get it in. it was a 24' box truck and i chopped about 6' of frame off the back.

As far as the sims, i have them on the list for spring. That and underbody boxes are about all that is left on my list.

TerraVenture
12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
what is your legal payload capacity gvw - tare?

jhgilliland
12-27-2009, 10:34 PM
GVW is 25995.
I can haul about 4.25 tons legally. If/when i do another one, ill probably do a 33,000 lb truck and possibly do the rack in alum. Im scared to see the cost quote for that though!
Ive still got lots of room to grow until i need another.

tthomass
12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
254" wheelbase usually

NEUSWEDE
12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
where do you guys get those huge walk in tool bins behind the cab? Are they custom made?

jhgilliland
12-28-2009, 09:23 PM
The boxes Jarod and Todd have come from a shop in Lancaster Pa area.
My father do steel construction so i designed the box and rack and he built it. Ended up with a lot more money with the rack with the material and paying him than Jarod and Todd have in theirs. If weight is the issue, id go with what they have over mine. If i had the money, i would've done the exact same thing i have now in alum. Ill try to round up some pics of the inside of my box to show how we mounted stuff.

Jimbo046
12-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey guys love the excitement about the trucks! Sometimes I think I like the trucks and equipment more than the landscape hardscape. Your international looks great, I have seen etw trucks at shows like atlantic cities Mahts before. I'm planning I somewhat similar truck this winter. I bought 3 freightliner fl60s great trucks, i planned to sell 2 i keep one for the project. I have all the details, truck is titled in my name and ready to go if some one is interested let me know......my intention was to make money on the other 2 but that is not happening in the current market. If one is you guys wants the last one I have to sell, I will see it to you for 9,500.00 I have that in it. I even had it painted tires are great 5 spd allison at 225 hp cummins isb 5.9 25,500 gvw. let me know. thanks Jim

srl28
12-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Still have those trucks for sale? PM me. I built an FL-50 a few years back with a 12' grain body on it, what a great little truck. Serves us very well. Pm me

Jimbo046
12-30-2009, 01:44 AM
I sent you a PM I love the green flames! I have a fl60 with 19.5 just like your 50 you are right great trucks, I bought my low pro about 5 years ago too....

srl28
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Couldnt be happier with the truck. My other smaller trucks or chevy and ford models that are comparable to this size just dont hold up or perform like the Freightliner does. would do it again in a heartbeat.

Jimbo046
12-31-2009, 12:42 AM
well, you interested in this one I have?

NEUSWEDE
12-31-2009, 03:49 PM
what length switch n go lifts are you guys running 11' or bigger?

tthomass
12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
i run 14' and 15' bodies

NEUSWEDE
01-01-2010, 11:35 AM
i run 14' and 15' bodies

does that mean you have a 14' switch n go? I ask because I talked to Switch n go and they quoted me on an 11' switch n go wasn't sure if there was a larger one. Also what is the width inside the boxes?

tthomass
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Bodies are 8' wide and about 7.5' inside. If you want pallets side by side you'll need a flatbed. I don't remember, I think its 14'. The biggest they have with 15,000 lb winch.

You can have the bodies built just about however you want. Cheapest price would be taking something they have in stock.

NEUSWEDE
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Bodies are 8' wide and about 7.5' inside. If you want pallets side by side you'll need a flatbed. I don't remember, I think its 14'. The biggest they have with 15,000 lb winch.

You can have the bodies built just about however you want. Cheapest price would be taking something they have in stock.

Thanks sent you a pm back. I was curious about the inside because my skid is 81" withh tracks on and just wanted to make sure it would fit. I would rather have bins or contractor body so it is useful. I want this set-up to use a trailer less and save time and have mulitple bodies with mulitple functions not multiple trucks. Like now my dump has a sander in it. If I want to use the dump have to empty the spreader and pull the spreader and put the tailgate on. That makes me kinda sol if I get a request to sand when Im trying to use the dump same in the fall when Im doing leaves can switch around just time consuming and a pita. Found (2) 4300 I am going to look at next week one is a 205" wheel base and the other is a 254" but has a box on it figure I can make a few bucks selling the box.

tthomass
01-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Dealer gave me $1,000 off the truck with them removing/keeping the box and lift gate.

What machine do you have and its weight?

I run a 14' dump body with fold down sides but use it like a flatbed. I then have a 14' dumpster and a 15' dumpster with barn doors and 54" sides. Thats a 17yd and 18yd dumpster I believe.

NEUSWEDE
01-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Dealer gave me $1,000 off the truck with them removing/keeping the box and lift gate.

What machine do you have and its weight?

I run a 14' dump body with fold down sides but use it like a flatbed. I then have a 14' dumpster and a 15' dumpster with barn doors and 54" sides. Thats a 17yd and 18yd dumpster I believe.

Gehl 5640 on tires is 8100lbs and with the VTS tracks is around 10000lbs, also have my Kubota u35 but not sure if that will be too tall to carry. Would like a bin for mulch, hauling plants and use for leaf box in the fall and a dump body with fold down sides for hauling materials, stone and equipment.

tthomass
01-01-2010, 10:07 PM
The Gehl will be fine. The Kubota, you may run into issues with being too tall once its loaded on the truck.

Since you're going with a 15k lb system.......get the biggest dumpster you can. I wasn't aware my 14' wasn't a 15' when I bought it but I bought used and got a good deal on it. In all honesty, it doesn't really matter. When it comes to capacity though, I can put as much as 20yds of mulch in my 15' dumpster......thats loaded! I figure you'll want all you can get for a leaf box too.