PDA

View Full Version : My Recent PRG Seed Trial

foreplease
10-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I posted photos and results so far of a little seed trial I started a couple weeks ago. If anyone is interested it is over in the Sports Field Site (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291524)

jfoxtrot9
10-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Very interesting. Please keep all informed and updated.

Thank you for your work and research!:weightlifter:

Jeff

jbturf
10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
is the P+A seed mix the only 1 with KBG?
i notice that the P+A and Dbl eagle have a darker green color
than the other 2 -
pretty cool test-- like to see some more pics at 30 days

foreplease
10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
is the P+A seed mix the only 1 with KBG?
i notice that the P+A and Dbl eagle have a darker green color
than the other 2 -
pretty cool test-- like to see some more pics at 30 days
Yes, the LESCO mix is the only one with any blue. I have used that many times and know how it behaves. I like it when grown in - so that is my benchmark.

Among the others, Accent is the only one I have not used on an athletic field somewhere.It was recommended to me by someone I respect. Based on the first 16 days I think I like it best. I am partially color blind, but the Accent appears to have the best color to me. It definitely has the best density and uniformity (so far). As you indicated, let's see what happens between now and 30 day mark. The outdoor plot will give a better sense of how it might handle traffic...
Posted via Mobile Device

foreplease
10-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I updated the thread over in the Sports Field Management Forum if any of you are still interested. Link (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3235603#post3235603)

foreplease
10-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Please excuse the cross-posting. I started something I feel like I can't finish ha ha. I posted photos showing root development comparison over in the Sports Field Site (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291524&page=2).

jbturf
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
still nice, you gonna post your personal thoughts on the results?

also curious, do you use straight rye mixtures for your fields-
or mixture of species?

foreplease
10-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I might post how I feel if I can decide. Admittedly, I went into it hoping that Accent (a new find for me) would compare well. On the other hand, I did not have any reason for wanting the others to do poorly - especially since I have used them all. As I said in the other forum, the blue-rye mix probably would have done better in almost any other year than it has in the weather we have had this September and October.

Although I knew that ten days after planting all of the ryes would be far ahead of the blue-rye mix, I wanted to know what kind of interim coverage I could get and how they would stack up in a month’s time. Using the mix was a control in the sense that it is my go to mix when I repair something. Even though I understand that is not the true meaning of the word “control,” not changing what I have been doing is the “do nothing” choice and I wanted to see how it compared.

Most of the work I do is taking care of fields rather than putting new ones in. I try very hard to keep them from needing to be replaced or rebuilt completely. To answer your question though: no, I would not put in 100 percent rye on an athletic field. There is a lot to be said for establishing some cover quickly though and, I believe, a good case for using rye as part of the mix.

Last year I did do a complete baseball field renovation. I wanted a 50-50 (KBG-PRG) mix because of its proximity to the lake, making it cool until late in the spring. Sometimes bluegrass there does not grow aggressively or even green up entirely until the high school baseball season has ended. I planned to put it in 50-50 and let natural selection duke it out. The week before I planted they insisted on a 90 KBG 10 rye mix. We had a lot of washouts and some impatient people while waiting for KBG to germinate. I later over seeded with the Double Eagle rye at a rate I believe made the total amount sown back to 50-50. We got it grown in well before winter. It has held up well.

I do have something I am trying to demonstrate locally by quickly establishing PRGs that perform well. As long as I am keeping some notes on it I thought I might as well put it here on lawnsite. I have sure received a lot of help here, if this helps or interests someone else – great.

Thanks jbturf.